Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park Mystery Building

Fingers

From Tuscany SE22
Anyone know what the one story building is next to the lido? The rozzers appeared to be raiding it this afternoon

There was a two storey , wooden clad house down by the kids' park. My daughter was insistent that she wanted to move in. They knocked it down recently and she was raging .

It was the changing rooms. Then the Wheels for Wellbeing people kept their bikes in there - and someone set fire to the lot. I saw the police there this afternoon too. Bit curious.

I'll do the demolishing for free if the council provides me with a suitable JCB- or even better, dynamite sticks.

It used to be the old changing rooms. I've been in once. A proper time capsule for all things early 80s.

The only time I recall going in there was when it being used as the muscians/artists changing room at LL&G Pride 93 when I recall seeing Boy George cowering and refusing to leave because of the crowd, of mostly teenaged girls, outside. Looked like sports changing rooms inside.

There was a two storey , wooden clad house down by the kids' park. My daughter was insistent that she wanted to move in. They knocked it down recently and she was raging .

When I was at secondary school a girl in my year lived there with her family (1990-1996 I knew her), her dad looked after the park. It was a normal house really. She had a key to the gate next to it but we always jumped over the wall from Tulse Hill.

you must have seen them.. directly outside the lido there's the overhead monkey bars.. right by the playground there's some stuff.. up the top of Brockwell Park Gardens there is some.. it's all around the periphery.. ery eryery
Yep - leapfrog bits (just uphill from the ponds), benches for sit ups (approaching the Water Lane entrance), a weird set of sloping hurdles for stride jumps (between Cressingham Gdns and Brockwell Park Gdns) , steps (near the playground)...

I've been inside that building several times: sports changing rooms and toilets. Quite spacious iirc. They've had them open at a few festivals in the past - the Cannabis Festivals I think and possibly the country show years ago. They must have been built way longer ago than the 80s cos my Dad remembers playing football tournaments in Brockwell Park in the 70s and using that changing block.

park-building.jpg

Shame they're gonna be knocked down - I always think something that exists can have a use. Why knock it down for some unspecified, expensive, potential future use?

A report [pdf] has appeared overnight, buried away deep down on the Lambeth Council website.

We knew that the changing room block was going to be demolished at a high cost, but with the pay off that it would then become some sort of outdoor gym space.

The report now recommends demolition at a cost of £255,000. And that's it. NOTHING ELSE. It will be left as rubble.

The report also states that the park is unsuitable for sport.

Grant money of £300,000 was secured to pay for refurbishment. They couldn't find a partner to manage the block (and make money) and so it has been returned.

And so over a quarter of a million to bulldoze a building. The net cost of the fireworks was under £10k.

Brixton Buzz piece.

Back
Top Bottom