Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton's Kaff Bar to close in July, as landlords triple the rent

editor

hiraethified
I am so pissed off about this. Gentrification strikes again.

working-cafe-brixton.jpg

Read the full story here.
http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2015/06/kaff-bar-in-brixton-to-close-as-landlords-triple-rent/

The guy built this up from nothing. Every bar/restaurant had failed on that site before, and he was there every day there for years making a success of the place. It makes me so fucking angry.

There's almost no chance of that happening. It's all well heeled "independents", well connected crowdfunders and corporate cash buying up the rents now.

Any chance the landlord is just chancing his arm? Seems a massive hike - is anyone going to want to pay that?

I'll miss their cabbage :-(

There's almost no chance of that happening. It's all well heeled "independents", well connected crowdfunders and corporate cash buying up the rents now.

Tsk. The usual suspects will take you to task over that "crowdfunding" reference, and say it's anti-New Zealand prejudice. ;)

Any chance the landlord is just chancing his arm? Seems a massive hike - is anyone going to want to pay that?

No - I've got a (very long!) follow up piece from the manager at Kaff which explains that this has happened after a long fight by him to stay there. I'll publish it tomorrow.

The manager has made a huge success of the place - it's even packed on a Monday night - and with Brixton's new demographic being able to afford much higher prices than what's he's charging, I'm sure a chain/trendy independent will be along soon to cash in.

Problem is, it's not difficult for a landlord to check out the current rental yield for similar commercial properties, and think "I'm going to chance my arm". What a lot of them don't ponder is that it's best to have a steady lower income than a patchy higher income, a lot of the time.

Problem is, it's not difficult for a landlord to check out the current rental yield for similar commercial properties, and think "I'm going to chance my arm". What a lot of them don't ponder is that it's best to have a steady lower income than a patchy higher income, a lot of the time.
Not if you are doing pop up shite. Burgers for two weeks, then some prick from the Home Counties who thinks his two week holiday in Cancun positions him ideally to do Mexican street food, then home made Christmas decorations in the run up to December. God, I hate pop ups.

It's like everything I liked about Brixton is slowly getting squeezed out and replaced with characterless, here-today-gone-tomorrow fluff and ruthless cash-in merchants. It's so depressing.

Back
Top Bottom