Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton wrestling - news, history and chat

editor

hiraethified
Now this looks like a right treat for Christmas! Who's in?

wrestling-aj-styles-brixton-1.jpg

Superstars Of Wrestling are coming to Brixton Rec, 13th Dec 2014

Now this looks like a right treat for Christmas! Who's in?

wrestling-aj-styles-brixton-1.jpg

Superstars Of Wrestling are coming to Brixton Rec, 13th Dec 2014
The line-up looks somewhat monochromatic however. Mind you the last time I went to wrestling - some years ago at the Fairfield Hall - the billed top Nigerian Tag Team didn't materialise.

I have fond memories of wrestling at the Bury St Edmunds Corn Exchange - promoted by Dale Martin, late of Effra Court, SW2 1RB. Now that was wrestling - Johhny Kwango head butts and all!
kwango5.jpg
I wonder if handbags are permitted in the Brixton rec?

Last edited:

Oh yes the handbags. :)

I remember wrestling down in Plymouth. If the wrestlers didn’t beat the shit out of each other the disappointed ladies would hit them with their handbags on the way out of the ring.

Oh yes the handbags. :)

I remember wrestling down in Plymouth. If the wrestlers didn’t beat the shit out of each other the disappointed ladies would hit them with their handbags on the way out of the ring.
Not quite as simple as that. The wrestlers were "goodies" and "baddies" and a well famous baddy could get thoroughly handbagged before he even got started.

Then there was the glam-rock element. Do you remember Adrian Street and Bobby Barnes who used to rile the crowd by preening themselves, then do brilliant winning moves?

Adrian Street and Bobby Barnes.gif
I came upon this photo of Adrian Street and Tony Scarlo taken outisde Dale Martin's offices in Brixton Road. Anyone any idea of the exact location of this? I'm wondering about 326 Brixton Road (bottom as photographed by Mike Urban)
Adrian Street outisde dale-martin Brixton offices.jpg
brixton-jan-2004-2014-14.jpg

The line-up looks somewhat monochromatic however. Mind you the last time I went to wrestling - some years ago at the Fairfield Hall - the billed top Nigerian Tag Team didn't materialise.

I have fond memories of wrestling at the Bury St Edmunds Corn Exchange - promoted by Dale Martin, late of Effra Court, SW2 1RB. Now that was wrestling - Johhny Kwango head butts and all!
View attachment 59943
Johnny Kwango was a walking anatomy lesson, I don't think I've seen anyone with better muscle definition.

I saw him (and Les Kellet) in Scarborough, must have been around 1964/65.

Reactions: CH1
I came upon this photo of Adrian Street and Tony Scarlo taken outisde Dale Martin's offices in Brixton Road. Anyone any idea of the exact location of this? I'm wondering about 326 Brixton Road (bottom as photographed by Mike Urban)

from 1965 phone book

1611580546988.png

1970 just has 313 Brixton Road.

If they were stood in the front garden / yard of 313 (although the front wall doesn't match what's there now), then 338 or 340 (both no longer there) are perhaps more likely

1611580795527.png

source (1951 OS map)

Here's a curiosity:

“Turn your left side to your opponent, get your hip partially underneath him, then, quick as lightning cross both his legs by your left and lift him from the ground. Both will come down, but your assailant will be undermost… The cross-buttock is a very fancy-looking move…” Walter Armstrong, Wrestling, 1890

1611583619598.png

• Love
from 1965 phone book

View attachment 251267

1970 just has 313 Brixton Road.

If they were stood in the front garden / yard of 313 (although the front wall doesn't match what's there now), then 338 or 340 (both no longer there) are perhaps more likely

View attachment 251268

source (1951 OS map)
Thanks for this. I think the photo may well have been outside 313 Brixton Road, looking across and down the street.
I had some other photos which might add something to this thread. I'm intrigued about 547 Brixton Station Road - must check it out.
I remember when I moved to Brixton in 1978 being told Dale Martin Promotions had a gym in Tunstall Road.
I think by then the 313 Brixton Road place had been reclaimed by Lambeth Housing for hostel use, which it still seems to be today.
Remember there were all those ructions over Villa Road and most likely the building of Peckford Place flats at the same time.

Regarding even numbers you quote - 338 and 336 were redeveloped privately around 1975 and ended up as Coutts Computer centre, then Lambeth Accord in 1985.
340 was council property. Was the registry office in the 1950s/1960s then possibly squatted, but sold by Lambeth Council to Jerry Knight/Lexadon around 2004 I think.

342 ended up knocked down & replaced by Bedwell House - part of Stockwell Park Estate.

This is where the wrestlers ate their dinners, apparently.
I used to go there every day too - as did the ladies from the Society for Cooperation in Russian and Soviet Studies at 320 Brixton Road.
Unfortunately by then (1990s) Dale Martin and his wrestling troupe was a distant memory. Not sure I would have fancied eye-balling Giant Haystacks over the lamb casserole.
Even so the guy running the cafe had pictures of all the old wrestling stars round the walls and seemed pretty proud of their heritage value.
martinis-brixrd-sw9-3707-editv2_1200.jpg

Regarding editor 's detailed Buzz article above - I see it says the wrestlers favoured the Rose Cafe. This could be true - if Dale Martin had used 313 Brixton Road for training originally, that would have put them half-way between the Rose and Martinis. If they ended up training in Nursery Road/Tunstall Road by the late 70s the Rose would have been much nearer.
I seem to recall posting this up last year. General view was this must have been Villa Road (side now demolished), on the assumption that the vehicles related to 313 Brixton Road.
Dale Martin vans.jpg

I'm intrigued about 547 Brixton Station Road - must check it out.

seems to be a railway arch - possibly storage space?

Not sure I would have fancied eye-balling Giant Haystacks over the lamb casserole.

:eek:

I seem to recall posting this up last year.

hmm at austin 101 (a badge engineered morris jb) - interesting things to drive (the transport museum i'm involved with has one). they were designed for getting in and out of tight spaces, so full steering lock is about half a turn on the steering wheel, which takes a bit of getting used to...

Back
Top Bottom