Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Hill Closures

zzande

Z Z A N D E
I was shocked to come back to my flat on Monday after a weekend away to find Iroko on Brixton Hill closed down! Does anyone know the story?

I really hope something is done with the empty building as Telegraph next door also closed down suddenly (after a long refurbishment!) and has been lying empty for ages!

Fingers crossed for a swanky new restaurant :rolleyes:

Telegraph being sold as flats I think.

Iroko was really fucking noisy. I believe it was the noise from there that got Telegraph licence fucked. (according to local landlord rumours)

Iroko is pretty much stripped, by the looks of it, and the front windows boarded up.

I don't think it'll be back. Never went there, they did some fairly odd looking stuff on the menu.

I think Southside may have died as well, at least it seemed resolutely shut on a Saturday night a week or few back.

They've really fucked over that stretch of Brixton Hill. From a busy nightlife centre that prompted many a club night, act and even inspired the odd album they've ended up with two historic pubs boarded up. Bah

True....although Iroko was shite.

Part of it is the recession catching up - even though there are signs of ercovery the knock-on effect lasts a long time. I guess for some they struggle to keep their heads above water was simply too much

Who cares about Iroko. But the Telegraph and even the George were once massively popular venues that I'll always have a sofy spot for. To lose those buildings as pubs would be a huge shame tbh - they're both good looking buildings that help tell the story of the area. But as pubs, not clumsily bodged luxury apartments again

I totally agree...it's a massive shame but right now you'd be mad to try and open a pub. There's bugger all chance of making even a paltry living and Brixton has plenty of pubs - to make it a "go to" venue would require serious investment.

Not sure the Telegraph will even make decent flats...they'll be noisy and over-priced.

I reckon they could both still work fwiw, but not with those licensing conditions.

They need to be destination nightlife pubs to succeed - they've got enough size to pull that off with cunning promotion. It's unlikely that they're prime gastropub sites however - lack of attractive outside space counts against them - and the trad local template seems unlikely.

OK, this is what I've heard regarding these local establishments.

Iroko - arguments with the landlord and they weren't paying their rent. (Doubt the fact that all the noise complaints helped either).

George IV - shut, because apparently it's quiet in January so rather than keep it open for any regulars they may have (probably none), they choose to shut it. This seems to confirm my belief that these people don't need the money and the pub is their little plaything. No doubt they're getting enough money from renting the rooms out upstairs.

PS: That's just rumours I've heard so don't quote me :D

Cheers for the PM btw Kanda. For some reason my browser won't switch off text view and there's no reply option for me.

I remember someone posting up details of the noise complaints at the Telegraph, and within that there was a mention of an Iroko Ruling or something like that - so basically Iroko was so loud that it warranted its own ruling. Er, great going guys! The upshot was that the Telegraph had lost its license to have music after 11pm, I think, so that pretty much put paid to that.

It would be a huge shame to lose both the George IV and the Telegraph. Not only was there the Basement Jaxx connection with the GIV, but Status Quo used to rehearse there apparently!

There was only once I walked past Iroko to see it full. The rest of the time there was never more than one table of people there.

:confused:

Both these places used to be great... had some cracking nights out there. They used to be fab because they were open "after hours" and not too expensive to get in to. Shame that now we have 24 hour licensing they've dwindled to this. :(

There was only once I walked past Iroko to see it full. The rest of the time there was never more than one table of people there.

:confused:

You probably never used to walk past it late at night when the whole pavement was covered in parked cars and it was rammed.

Both these places used to be great... had some cracking nights out there. They used to be fab because they were open "after hours" and not too expensive to get in to. Shame that now we have 24 hour licensing they've dwindled to this. :(

It's because they decided to build those flats on NPR that back onto the Telegraph. Residents complaints.

Ridiculous really, moving next to a known music venue then complaining about the music....:facepalm:

I remember someone posting up details of the noise complaints at the Telegraph, and within that there was a mention of an Iroko Ruling or something like that - so basically Iroko was so loud that it warranted its own ruling. Er, great going guys! The upshot was that the Telegraph had lost its license to have music after 11pm, I think, so that pretty much put paid to that.

It would be a huge shame to lose both the George IV and the Telegraph. Not only was there the Basement Jaxx connection with the GIV, but Status Quo used to rehearse there apparently!

Top Cats and Alabama 3 played there a few times as well many, many years ago :cool:

I've just moved from the bottom of the hill to the top. I heard from someone who works at southside that it has been taken over by new people. Iroko didnt look very welcoming, was never really clear on what they did there. Not suprised it closed. Pleased to see the Negril has been refurbished though! The hill could really do with a decent pub. The nearest is the Whitehorse and that's always packed.

I've just moved from the bottom of the hill to the top. I heard from someone who works at southside that it has been taken over by new people. Iroko didnt look very welcoming, was never really clear on what they did there. Not suprised it closed. Pleased to see the Negril has been refurbished though! The hill could really do with a decent pub. The nearest is the Whitehorse and that's always packed.

What's wrong with The Hand in Hand or The Windy (other than they're not on the main road)? :hmm:

Can you go for a quick pint in the windmill? only even been for a gig.

Only after 5.00pm when it opens and only early, otherwise they'll try and nab you for entrance fee if they think you're just getting in early to avoid paying for a band. Better off checking with TwistedAM though on your likelihood of being charged

If you become a regular however, that'll stop.

You probably never used to walk past it late at night when the whole pavement was covered in parked cars and it was rammed.

Yeah right. I used to drive past there about 2am on Saturday nights and there was all sorts of Blingmobiles trying to park up.

It's because they decided to build those flats on NPR that back onto the Telegraph. Residents complaints.
Ridiculous really, moving next to a known music venue then complaining about the music....:facepalm:

I think they let the licence lapse and then had to start the whole procedure again, so technically the residents were there first in case. Much harder to get a new one than keep a current one.
And as ianw says, the Iroko shenanigans didn't help.

Can you go for a quick pint in the windmill? only even been for a gig.

Only after 5.00pm when it opens and only early, otherwise they'll try and nab you for entrance fee if they think you're just getting in early to avoid paying for a band. Better off checking with TwistedAM though on your likelihood of being charged

If you become a regular however, that'll stop.

You too should become friends!

Back
Top Bottom