Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bristol Radical History Festival

butchersapron

Bring back hanging
Radical History Festival

Where: Bristol M shed
When: 17th september 11am-4pm

What:

Expect untold stories, revelations and hidden histories in this day of talks featuring local and national speakers.

Speakers will share authentic glimpses of an undocumented past while a history book fair will provide an opportunity to read further for independent thought and action.

The Radical History Zone is brought to you by the Bristol Radical History Group (BRHG) and Remembering the Real World War I (RRWWI).

The day will also include talks from the authors of the latest additions to the self-published Bristol Radical Pamphleteer series.

We invite you to join us, not out of nostalgia for the past, but to find inspiration for the future.

Who:

The BRHG has been hosting talks, historic re-enactments, film nights, walks and even puppet shows, for more than a decade. They use all means necessary to bring history alive and make it relevant.

They will be celebrating the publication of the 40th pamphlet in their distinctive Radical Pamphleteer series.

The pamphlets and talks document a wealth of hidden history. BRHG has recently exposed the scandal of 4,000 unmarked burials at the site of the former Eastville Workhouse.

Over the years the group has thrown light on Anglo-Saxon democracy and saluted forgotten heroes of the English Civil War. They have remembered the exploits of the region’s forgotten anti-slavery activists, cotton workers and miners and peered into the worlds of eighteenth-century women’s boxing and Victorian coffee taverns.

RRWWI have revealed the untold story of Bristol’s conscientious objectors.

I'll add details of talks etc when finalised.

Point of info: clashes with Bristol Half Marathon so will be road closures etc etc all around the Centre and harbourside

Personal: would be delighted to attend but depends how knackered I am after the half marathon!

Doubt the swing bridge will be back by then so not much traffic goes by the M Shed anyway if being able to drive there's an issue.

It's not traffic for me, it's babysitting whilst run is on (and during the inevitable post-run drinks).

Back
Top Bottom