Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brave New World By Aldous Huxley

i find it interesting how in Brave New World everyone was basically taking ecstasy and shagging each other is how they were 'oppressed'

i'd definetely go there on holiday, heh

ChrisC said:
After finishing Inversions by Iain M. Banks. Which I thought was very good and I love the culture references. I thought I'd change author for a break from Banks. Although I will be reading The Algebraist by Banks, after Brave New World. What I want to know is this. Is Brave New World like 1984 by George Orwell? Is it a bleak book? Without given anything away, whats it like? Also is Brave New World considered Sci Fi?

For many years popular "wisdom" had it that "1984" was like the authoritarian Soviet Bloc and "BNW" was like the corporate consumer west. The two are quite different in my opinion. In fact, "BNW" was more prophetic, positing a future society obsessed by sex and quick-fix gratification, in which genetic engineering was widely accepted and used. Don't forget, it was published in the early 30s.

"1984", by contrast, telescoped contemporary concerns of post-war (e.g. rationing) into a different kind of future shock.

Both masterpieces IMO.

kyser_soze said:
I agree with the second part but not the first - he was a romantic writer for sure, but I always read BNW as an attack on both Systems Of The World - Communism for it's egalitarian ethos, and capitalism for vapid consumerism, acceptance of the strict hierarchy and the doping of society.

D

N.B. Don't forget, "Communism" as a major system which would sweep over about a third of the world's population, was still almost two decades in the future. When Huxley wrote BNW the Soviet Union was not the force it would later become.

ChrisC said:
Wasn't that Timothy Leary. Aldous Huxley had a brief encounter with mescaline, but thats all I think. Could be wrong.

No no no! Huxley's "Doors of perception" (published, I think, in 1954) was the first serious widely-known work on the psychedelic experience. In fact, Huxley and Humphrey Osman, the British scientist who introduced him to mescaline, came up with the term between them. In fact, Huxley suggested "phanerothyme", but in the end they settled on a modification of Osman's idea: "psychodelic" (Greek for "mind manifesting").

See also: Christopher Mayhew, a tory MP who took mesc in 1956 for a BBC prog that was banned, and not actually shown for 30 years. It's the inspiration for "Christopher Mayhew said" by the Shamen.

Ninjaboy said:
i find it interesting how in Brave New World everyone was basically taking ecstasy and shagging each other is how they were 'oppressed'

i'd definetely go there on holiday, heh

Not ecstasy: soma. :)

I loved BNW when I read it. I know there are comparisons with 1984 but like some others, I do feel the two books in their ideas are quite different. Like isvicthere? I reckon BNW is the one that's actually come more true.

But anyway, I'm not really saying anything special here. What I am popping on here to say that I've been wondering whether it's worth reading any more Huxley - either Island or The Doors of Perception (the latter I've heard is a bugger to read). Is Island worth it?

Agent Sparrow said:
I loved BNW when I read it. I know there are comparisons with 1984 but like some others, I do feel the two books in their ideas are quite different. Like isvicthere? I reckon BNW is the one that's actually come more true.

But anyway, I'm not really saying anything special here. What I am popping on here to say that I've been wondering whether it's worth reading any more Huxley - either Island or The Doors of Perception (the latter I've heard is a bugger to read). Is Island worth it?

Read both. They're both really good.

Ninjaboy said:
you say tomato....
Not really - wonderful/terrible thing about soma is there was no come down.

While I wish pills didn't give you come downs, I'd probably take a hell of a lot more of them if they didn't :oops:

Agent Sparrow said:
Not really - wonderful/terrible thing about soma is there was no come down.

While I wish pills didn't give you come downs, I'd probably take a hell of a lot more of them if they didn't :oops:

from a literary point of view they aren't that different :D

i wish you hadn't quoted me before i changed it to 'somato' btw

Ninjaboy said:
*goes back to look*

Ninjaboy said:
you say tomato....
:confused:

Um, talking of mind altering substances ninge... :p

(I always edit my posts after people have quoted me so there you go :oops: )

Ninjaboy said:
from a literary point of view they aren't that different :D

Interestingly enough, you're right. Huxley's "soma" does perform much of the social funtion of E, a good 50-odd years before its popularity. Only difference, apart from the comedown element, is that soma is not a party drug, but an everyday medication.

Even though AH lived (and died) well before rave culture, he was very conscious of the bohemia of 20s London in which heroin and cocaine were the drugs of preference (for which, read "Antic Hay"). Indeed, in BNW he does actually mention native Americans using mescal in their spiritual practice, some 20 years before he himself put his foot through that particular "door of perception".

isvicthere? said:
Interestingly enough, you're right. Huxley's "soma" does perform much of the social funtion of E, a good 50-odd years before its popularity. Only difference, apart from the comedown element, is that soma is not a party drug, but an everyday medication.

Even though AH lived (and died) well before rave culture, he was very conscious of the bohemia of 20s London in which heroin and cocaine were the drugs of preference (for which, read "Antic Hay"). Indeed, in BNW he does actually mention native Americans using mescal in their spiritual practice, some 20 years before he himself put his foot through that particular "door of perception".

if you had lived my life, you wouldn't see e as a party drug :(

edited cos it isnt a very good response.

people take e long after the party is over, and i bet anyone who has been into it for a bit has ended up somewhere where the party has long since left the building, but the e is still being passed around

Ninjaboy said:
if you had lived my life, you wouldn't see e as a party drug :(

edited cos it isnt a very good response.

people take e long after the party is over, and i bet anyone who has been into it for a bit has ended up somewhere where the party has long since left the building, but the e is still being passed around

Of course, but I was thinking more of the scene where the female character (Alexa?) is slumming it in the "savage" reservation and is so stressed by the experience that she wishes she had some soma on her.

I agree it does have something of E about it, but in this case it's more like a valium-type need.

Anyway, we're arguing about nothing really...

BNW is more of a world where passivity and the use of drugs rule peoples lives (ie Soma to keep the masses happy) where as 1984 is more totalitarian in its ideas and vision of a future society. Combine the two and you probably have a vision of the future.

Both are good in my view, there's enough in each to stoke your mind for a while :)

So far I'm enjoying the book. I have to say from what I have read so far, I wouldn't mind living in that world. Soma? Yes please! I think since I suffer from schizophrenia and depression. Basically I can relate to taking drugs to make oneself happy. Yes, Huxleys Brave New World would suit me down to the ground.

Finished this book. Brilliant, it left me wanting more. Shame about the savage, although I couldn't see it going any other way. Soma? Yes please!

I alwys looked at bothe books as opposites. In the sense that one was dystopia (1984) and Utopia. Hadn't the people in BNW got the world they were looking for, health, relative wealth, happiness?

E2A: both books are great and easily re-readable.

Mega bump. A brand new TV series adaptation has just dropped on Sky/ NowTV. I don’t know how faithful it is to the novel, but after a meh first episode it has got much more interesting in episodes 2 & 3.

I read BNW between these books in 2014:

Firstborn, A Time Oddyssey: Book 3 Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
2001 : a space odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke

I recall enjoying it, I deffo think it is worth reading.

I’ve already mentioned this in the Brave New World thread, but worth mentioning here as the other thread is about the book. I’m really enjoying the new TV adaptation that started on Sky last night. Not super amazing or anything but as an entertaining light thriller mini-series it’s pretty good. Do get past the first episode- it gets much better afterwards.

Gave up after four episodes and though it only gets more cliched. Part of that has to do with the novel, which is the foundation of so much dystopian/utopian fiction but the set up of conflicts in this tv adaptation, is far too mechanical. It's always obvious what will happen next and the thriller element is tacked on. Maybe I just need my tv series to be super amazing but this doesn't manage to transform the novel into something which resonantes on any meaningful level with today. Not getting to knob the person you fancy at a drug fuelled orgy, is a dilemma difficult to relate to in these times.

Last edited:
I haven't read the novel since my teens, but remember it making an impression on me and in some ways I found it quite prescient (dependence on mood enhancing prescription drugs, cloning, increasingly inane entertainment) . The worst aspect of the novel always were John and the "savages" which in the TV series have been changed from being vaguely like Native Americans living on a reservation and making them rednecks who live in a West World-style theme park. It’s not much better, though at least less racist. The whole idea of John being in some way more pure, showing up the superficiality of this utopian/dystopian society for its superficiality and cruelty is a sentimental cliche of that type of fiction. I've read the synopsis for the rest of the series and while reasonably faithful to the first half of the book, eventually it departs to tick off every dystopian cliche imaginable, worst of
all yet another ding-ding-the-witch-is-dead revolution of the oppressed.

Last edited:
Admittedly after ep 3 it dropped in quality and 0interest quite a bit. Last episode was better but it should have never been a 9-parter. Would have worked much better as a 5-6 episode miniseries.

Back
Top Bottom