Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boxer or vicious rapist?

Tyson is 47. I'm 31.

Will there be a point where he is so old that I could whoop him in a fight? Or is the gap not big enough?

I'm soft as shite, for comparison.

Tyson is 47. I'm 31.

Will there be a point where he is so old that I could whoop him in a fight? Or is the gap not big enough?

I'm soft as shite, for comparison.
theres a bloke on my street, johnny pierce, lives about ten doors up. when i was an apprentice he was a bricklayer for the furnaces, he was massive, the strongest person i've ever known, supposed to have broke a bone in his arm lifting something once and didn't notice at the time.
anyway, i was walking past the edge of the raised tipping deck where him and his mate, joe baker, who was also massive, used to sit. he pulled the settee cushion up he was sitting on, leaned over and smacked me on the head with it. even wearing a hardhat i think i got concussion. it nearly broke my neck. him and joe were pissing themselves as i staggered about.

anyway, twenty odd years on and i'm looking out the window, and i says to my dad, 'there goes johnny pierce on his motability scooter'. my dad says 'they had the ambulance out to him again last week'.
i turned to my dad, with a smile, slowly punching my palm and said 'soon. soon.'

you should have seen the look he gave me.

mike tyson isn't evil, mike tyson is fucked up. you look at his background, far harsher than most of us have ever experienced, so harsh it turned him into one of the greatest fighters there's ever been. then to go from being so poor you only had what you stole, to being a millionare, from parental abandonement to being adored by many, must have fucked him up again. add to that the fact that having a job where you are punched in the head repeatedly by people who are the best in the world at punching people in the head doesn't really help your critical thinking.
his entire life has been a tragedy. one caused by capitalism.

"Mike Tyson isn't evil."?
And then you try to justify?
Rape is the most evil crime there is and can NEVER be justified!
Murder can on the other hand, be justified on occasion.

I'm a bloke and many of my own sex disgust me.

He's a man, fallible like us all and probably used and mugged off more than most men in history. PhenomenaI and utterly devastating boxer when in his prime and a joy to watch.

I for one don't trust his rape conviction. Just because the US justice system says he's a rapist doesn't make him one.

I could have hit a boxer today
as I drove through Ditchling on my way to Brighton.
But he got into the Hummer to quick.

"Mike Tyson isn't evil."?
And then you try to justify?
Rape is the most evil crime there is and can NEVER be justified!
Murder can on the other hand, be justified on occasion.

I'm a bloke and many of my own sex disgust me.
murder is better than rape? what are you on about?

To be fair, he was a genuinely great boxer when he was young and seemed a decent enough kid while Cus D'Amato was still the main influence on his life.

My impression is that he became a complete twat after he got famous (and got involved with Don King and other lowlife ...)

Fez909 said:
What makes you doubt the validity of the conviction?

My experience of the justice system and racism. And a lot of what I read about the case. A view shared by one of the three appeal judges.

I've always hated the way that people have excused and diminished what this man did just because they happen to be fans of his boxing.

I hated how when he was in jail they were counting the days to let him out and carry on business as usual, like going to jail for raping someone is like a sports injury or something. The way he's indulged today in the media is shocking. Find me one other convicted rapist that gets such an easy ride.

Not only a convicted rapist but he remains totally unrepentent about it too. He has a long history of sexual violence, infact Teddy Atlas his former trainer put to gun to his head after he propositioned his 13 year old niece in the late 80's. He also battered his ex-wife Robin Givens but despite this at his one man show in Vegas you can see hoards of pathetic fanboys whoop and cheer when he puts a picture of her up on the screen, with "Golddigger" by Kanye West playing in the background. Here look at this video for a case study in sexual intimidation:

He's not dying at all, since he retired his main source of income has been to sell himself as this tortured dysfunctional beast, all that's left is the human interest story, with all his fanboys talking about how he's such a troubled soul, such an enigma, how his upbringing was so awful and how this makes it ok to like him, how that Washington girl fixed him up for rape, how he was innocent all along. That gets him interviews on Oprah, toe-curlingly awful fawning documentaries, this is his career now.

He was a fucking disgrace to the sport of boxing too btw - and that's saying something coz Boxing is a sport that's pretty hard to disgrace. Remember when he bit off Evander Holyfield's ear? Or when he tried breaking Frans Botha's arm mid fight? Threatened to "prison rape" Donovan Ruddock in an interview prior to their fight? The Lou Saverese shit? Threatened to eat Lennox Lewis children then bit his leg at the press conference before threatening to rape one of the assembled journalists? Tyson fans defend all that too just like they make excuses for his rape conviction. He's "Old school" they say. Holyfield deserved it for headbutting Tyson they say. It's all horseshit.

As a boxer he was unbelievably vicious but he gets consistently overrated. He couldn't beat anyone he couldn't bully. It was all smoke and mirrors, he was just a weak imitation of Sonny Liston in that regard. Hardly surprsing, his trainer Cus D'Amato saw back in the 60's what Liston's intimidation did to his charge Floyd Patterson. Patterson was a good champion with fast hands but weak psychologically. Against Liston he just collapsed. Liston KO'd him within in a single round to win the heavyweight title, at the time the fastest heavyweight title victory in the history of the sport. D'Amato saw a Liston in Tyson and trained him up to be like that. That's why he came into the ring with no towel, no socks, straightforward black trunks, no regalia, just straight to business. All part of of the intimidation tactics he was so good at. They made him into some atavistic throwback from the 30's like Dempsey or Liston, they really built that image of him up, and made a fighting style based on pure overwhelming aggression to back it up.

Buster Douglas was hardly a great fighter but he smashed the mythical beast that was "prime Tyson" to pieces that night in Tokyo. His style was pure aggression, overwhelming clusters of punches, but if you could find a way to withstand that he was most certainly beatable. He couldn't fight off the back foot to save his life. He wasn't a big heavyweight he was only 5ft10 and 220lbs and physically whenever he fought a guy not scared of him, who outweighed him, he'd get pushed back and beaten. That's why Holyfield beat him - Holyfield many years past his best when he beat Tyson the first time but Holyfield was just about the toughest boxer I ever saw, that's not a guy he could intimidate, in the first fight Holyfield forced Tyson onto the backfoot and beat him up. In the rematch Holyfield did the exact same thing, and because Tyson couldn't outmuscle him, because he was getting frustrated by it, he decided to bite Holyfield's fucking ear instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post Delroy Booth, just says it fine.
Why so many apologists for a rapist?

ZIdVBSP.jpg

He's a scary fucker. And I agree with what kermit said. And no, that's not an excuse for rape. Nor biting people's ears off. Or any of the other crazy shit he's done.

Most incronguous photo of him, ever. :D I think that trying to understand why people act how they do is never an attempt to excuse their despicable actions, not it should ever be. It's just a way of explaining them, i.e. to try and make sense of it. Humans need that for some reason ;)

The alternative: to not bother to try and understand and eliminate the problem is essentially what the death penalty is about, no?

He was an excellent boxer but stupid as fuck at the same time.
Idiotic and egotistical with lots of power and money.
Think Michael Carroll with talent.

I just watched the first Tyson / Holyfield fight again, inspired by Delroy's excellent rant above.

Holyfield was magnificent. He beat up Tyson like he was Marvin Hagler's bigger, tougher brother.

Just watched it again too. Cracking scrap:cool:

Look how Tyson withdraws into a shell as soon as he's being backed up. All his astonishing power and speed is going forward, and if you take that forward momentum away he actually becomes quite average. Buster Douglas did it to him, he fought without any fear and gave Tyson a fight and it paid off. Once that aura was broken by losing to Buster Douglas Mike Tyson was never quite the same, not against top level fighters. He wasn't actually invincible after all. Razor Ruddock, another big 6ft4 250lbs heavyweight, gave Tyson a hard 12 round fight in the comeback after the Douglas loss, and although Tyosn still managed to knockout an array of overmatched bums spectularly he struggled against top tier opposition in the 90's. Up against the big super heavyweights, people like Lennox Lewis who's 6ft5 250lbs or more and athetlic with it, he'd never be the wrecking machine he was hyped up to be in the 80's again

Here's the Buster Douglas fight, I love watching this.

Look how Tyson withdraws into a shell as soon as he's being backed up. All his astonishing power and speed is going forward, and if you take that forward momentum away he actually becomes quite average. Buster Douglas did it to him, he fought without any fear and gave Tyson a fight and it paid off. Once that aura was broken by losing to Buster Douglas Mike Tyson was never quite the same, not against top level fighters. He wasn't actually invincible after all. Razor Ruddock, another big 6ft4 250lbs heavyweight, gave Tyson a hard 12 round fight in the comeback after the Douglas loss, and although Tyosn still managed to knockout an array of overmatched bums spectularly he struggled against top tier opposition in the 90's. Up against the big super heavyweights, people like Lennox Lewis who's 6ft5 250lbs or more and athetlic with it, he'd never be the wrecking machine he was hyped up to be in the 80's again

Ta Del, :cool:
That's my evening entertainment sorted :D

Tyson wasn't the Tyson we knew up to that point of his career in that fight, anyone who thinks he was is delusional.

Back
Top Bottom