Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Booking train tickets in France

Brainaddict

slight system overdrive
Does anyone know what it means when there are no second class tickets (and sometimes first class too) available for a train on the SNCF website? Does it mean there's only a walk-up fare available that can't be bought online, or does it mean the train is literally full?
Also if anyone has any tips for finding cheaper tickets on a multi-stage journey that would be helpful.

Depends on the route, (nearly) all longer ones need seat reservations and don't allow walk ups, so there's every chance what you are looking at is fully booked, a lot of trains right now all over Europe are fully booked (as are flights, Eurostar and so on).

Oh wow, didn't realise they didn't allow walk-ups on fully booked trains. I guess it avoids the standing-only journeys we get on trains here but that means booking well ahead. I think I'm already a bit late for early august.

Thanks very much for the info BS, this made me book super-fast onto one of the few remaining trains. Close shave, could have messed with the holiday to not get a train for that journey.

Also, while I'm here, I thought French trains used to be cheap. Gone are those days it seems!

Though to be fair, at least they're not as willing as charge you the earth for a ticket, and make you stand up for most of your jouney for the pleasure of it as the British train operators.

Though to be fair, at least they're not as willing as charge you the earth for a ticket, and make you stand up for most of your jouney for the pleasure of it as the British train operators.
Yeah, I do see that. It does seem to reduce the viability of train as an alternative to cars if you can't buy a ticket at short notice though. I suppose the solution ultimately is more trains until you have enough to give you slack in the system, but that would require state expenditure at an unfashionable level I guess.

Back
Top Bottom