Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Book more right-wing guests"

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
Source (Paywall): BBC comedy shows have been told to book more Right-wing guests

Story (copy and pasted from paywall because paywalls don't work if you're quick enough)

Jump to navigationBBC comedy shows have been told to book more Right-wing guests
The director general has signalled that shows must feature 'a broader range of voices' to counter perceived bias in comedy output

ByBill Gardner12 March 2021 • 9:00pm

BBC Broadcasting House

BBC comedy shows have been told to book more Right-wing guests after bosses cancelled a satirical programme accused of peddling “Left-wing propaganda”.

Tim Davie, the director general, has signalled that shows must feature “a broader range of voices” to counter perceived bias in the BBC’s comedy output.

It comes after the BBC announced the cancellation of The Mash Report, the BBC 2 satirical show repeatedly accused of being too one-sided against Brexit and the Conservative government.

Hosted by the comedian Nish Kumar, the show was once accused by the former BBC presenter Andrew Neil of being “self-satisfied, self-adulatory, unchallenged Left-wing propaganda”.

The BBC said it had needed "to make difficult decisions" in order "to make room for new comedy shows".

Since his appointment last September, Mr Davie has set out plans to restore trust in the BBC by ridding the corporation of a metropolitan and London-centric view of the world.

Comedy shows will be expected to book guests from across the political divide, a senior BBC source told The Telegraph.

“There’s nothing wrong with poking fun at the Government. They’re the ones in charge," the source said.

"But we also need to make sure we have a broad range of voices on the BBC. If you're doing the right sort of bookings, you can get the range of perspectives that we need.

“The key point, however, is that comedy shows need to be funny."

Other BBC shows previously accused of being biased against the Tories and Brexit include the Now Show and the News Quiz on Radio 4.

There is no immediate threat to their future but makers of all BBC comedy shows will be expected to book guests with diverse views. “No show lasts forever,” one BBC insider warned.

The BBC’s decision to cancel The Mash Report came after repeated accusations that the programme hosted by Nish Kumar and featuring Rachel Parris was openly biased against the Tories and Brexit.

Mr Kumar once told a Guardian interviewer that he was “absolutely guilty of the accusation levelled at me by furious people on the internet in that I have not got over Brexit.” In 2019, Kumar was booed off stage for making anti-Brexit jokes at a charity event held by the Lord’s Taverners.

Responding to the news of the cancellation on Thursday, Mr Kumar posted a picture of himself pointing at a message reading: “Boris Johnson is a liar and a racist.”

Supporters pointed out, however, that the show had given a platform to young comedians and regularly featured Right-wing comics including the stand up Geoff Norcott.

A BBC spokesperson said: “We are very proud of The Mash Report but in order to make room for new comedy shows we sometimes have to make difficult decisions, and it won’t be returning.
“We would like to thank all those involved in four brilliant series and hope to work with Nish Kumar, Rachel Parris and the team in the future.”

Related Topics
The Telegraph values your comments but kindly requests all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful. Please review our commenting policy.
Show comments

More stories

Related Topics
© Telegraph Media Group Limited 2021

Just a Minute is looking for a new host after the lovely Nicholas Parsons shuffled off this mortal coil.

What are the odds on Piers Morgan or Farage getting the gig now?

Or, even better, that well-known wit, raconteur and woman-of-the-people Anne Widdecombe?

🤢

Shame they can't book some left wing people to go on all the non-comedy programmes to balance the predominately right wingers (business and economic 'experts', shock jocks, mainstream MPs, ...) on them.

I’d love to see a lefty on those C4 property shows. “And what proportion of your victim’s income were you planning on charging them once you’ve shelled out on Magnolia and woodchip wallpaper, pray tell?”

I’d love to see a lefty on those C4 property shows. “And what proportion of your victim’s income were you planning on charging them once you’ve shelled out on Magnolia and woodchip wallpaper, pray tell?”
That would be great. Grand Designs would be a different programme too. Persuading toffs not to spend their riches on doing up a barn for themselves, but transforming it into a youth or arts centre and donating it to the public

Well, that’s the thing isn’t it? “Lefties” have apparently taken over everything, when in reality they get the “satirical comedy” corner and a look-in on certain elements of identity politics, when the whole basis of how the world is run is quietly left to what they pretend is “not political”.

edit: i am aware this has been said a bilion times, but I wanted a little rant

Just a Minute is looking for a new host after the lovely Nicholas Parsons shuffled off this mortal coil.

What are the odds on Piers Morgan or Farage getting the gig now?

Or, even better, that well-known wit, raconteur and woman-of-the-people Anne Widdecombe?

🤢
They wouldn't last 10 minutes with most of the panellists. No-one who takes themselves too seriously could manage that job, and all of your proposed candidates fail on that count :)

That would be great. Grand Designs would be a different programme too. Persuading toffs not to spend their riches on doing up a barn for themselves, but transforming it into a youth or arts centre and donating it to the public

Better still a show about yuppies staying in the suburbs where they fucking belong instead of polluting the countryside with their inspriational vision of a 30,000 square foot glass cube.

The Telegraph is one of the main proponents of the "culture war" so basically don't believe anything it says about the BBC. Perhaps more specifically don't believe the logical consequence it asks of you, i.e. that Davie saying "a broader range of voices" means more right wing guests, which is most likely made up but forms the basis of this article.

They’ve already replaced him with Paul Merton

Unless you're aware of something that I'm not then, no they haven't.

They've had a series of guest presenters of which Mr Merton was one.

They wouldn't last 10 minutes with most of the panellists. No-one who takes themselves too seriously could manage that job, and all of your proposed candidates fail on that count :)

Are the old irony sensors letting you down today, Exi?

Unless you're aware of something that I'm not then, no they haven't.

They've had a series of guest presenters of which Mr Merton was one.
It might have been that - one episode came up on my podcast app last week and Merton was presenting it

Hope they come up with a permanent host for Just A Minute. Tricky of course when a show is so strongly associated with one person, but they managed it with I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. (Rotating hosts kind of works for Have I Got News for You, although I never watch that now, but only because it has the two permanent panelists to give continuity.)

I nominate Pam Ayres.

That's actually a good one.

What was the "village" church hall / community centre here was sold off to a speculating developer, to be converted into flats. No social housing or community offset, as far as I am aware. Some initial work, and at least two re-sales to other developers, but no further progress. Rumour has it that the latest purchaser is going to convert the flats into a self-catering annex to the larger hotel.

It really should be refurbished as a secular community centre, with a local history / wildlife / environment museum and a live-in caretaker / manager ...

The local arm's length / social housing closed their office in the high street which upset some people. What sort of changed their minds was that the building was converted into flats (four of them, I think, and the two ground floor flats are "accessible" by design).

Hope they come up with a permanent host for Just A Minute. Tricky of course when a show is so strongly associated with one person, but they managed it with I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. (Rotating hosts kind of works for Have I Got News for You, although I never watch that now, but only because it has the two permanent panelists to give continuity.)

I nominate Pam Ayres.

Isn’t Gyles Brandreth a right-winger? He does a bit on fairly gently Radio 4 comedy shows and Countdown and whatnot.

What left wing comedy? With about two exceptions I can think of most 'left wing' comedy on TV is aggressively centrist.

You're right People can get stuck in the past when it comes to describing their political/cultural foes. Maybe some think Ben Elton and Jo Brand dominate the BBC schedule (just as you get those on the liberal-left who seem to think they''re still up against Enoch Powell and Mary Whitehouse).

Last edited:
I thought they had been looking to use right wing comedians for a few months now. Geoff Norcott is on R4 comedy programs more these days.

What left wing comedy? With about two exceptions I can think of most 'left wing' comedy on TV is aggressively centrist.

Doesn't most political comedy take the piss out of the Tories still? TBF, are there that many genuinely left wing politicians to take the piss out of?

Back
Top Bottom