Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bestival festival 2017 and 2018

I spoke to a steward who said there was scary stuff going on. She said (though this was second-hand) that there was a group of around 9 chaps with knives that had basically terrorised one of the camp sites and gone tent to tent threatening people and clearing them out.

Mind you festivals are notorious gossip buckets. There were multiple bullshit rumours at Glasto last year - group overdoses that failed to materialise as news stories, etc., so make of it what you will.

Was certainly a subdued vibe at the very least. Didn't feel at all threatening to me though, but I might have just been unaware.

Not going to talk about the tragic death :( or the thefts ... :(

But festival organisers who have plenty of festival experience, yet who don't prepare properly for well-flagged shit weather deserve plenty of criticism.

How bad were the ground conditions in reality, then?

How bad were the ground conditions in reality, then?
Not so bad as to make having fun unfeasable. Some sticky, slippery mud, but I was able to wander all over site in walking boots with no gaiters. On foot it wasn't a major problem really. They did have big problems getting vehicles out, with lots of towing and crazy driving going on. This did seem to be down to a lack of planning, and in particular a shortage of that metal track stuff. Just a bit more of that would have solved all the problems so far as I could see. Traffic was not very well marshalled really throughout the festy.

After doing Boomtown all of this decade, Bestival felt quite quaint by comparison. It'd take a pretty special headliner (a la ATCQ) to get me back there. All about Boomtown again next year :cool:

I see Bestival next year will be moved to August, weekend of the 2nd to be precise. It doesn't seem to clash with anything major which is why they chose it I suppose.

On previous threads my biggest two objections were its location on the IOW and it being so late in the summer. Both of those have changed now so I may have a look at it next year, tbh though I do wonder if this is the last throw of the dice of a dying festival. Reviews from this year were a bit lackluster.

Is anyone making the effort this year? Considering it, but also having 'nam flashbacks about the mud last year

I've never been and I'm pretty sure it's not my kind of festival, but I'll update the thread title.

Cheers! On paper it's also not my thing, but there used to be enough going on that you could have a great time at the smaller stages/cabaret etc.

Last year seemed to have a lot less of that and was generally a bit shit, but the weather played a massive part in that

Back
Top Bottom