Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bestival festival 2017 and 2018

The_Reverend_M

More bass, vicar?
Grabbed one of the cheapie tickets last Friday - first Bestival since 2009...! Was a regular for a while but in the end the ridiculous journey there (train then ferry then coach) got a bit much. After last year's poor ticket sales it's a wise move to bring it to the mainland.

Oh, and A TRIBE CALLED QUEST!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

bestival_2017_line_V1.jpg

More tempted now it's not on that ridiculous island.

But still not tempted enough to make it happen I don't think.

Grabbed one of the cheapie tickets last Friday - first Bestival since 2009...! Was a regular for a while but in the end the ridiculous journey there (train then ferry then coach) got a bit much. After last year's poor ticket sales it's a wise move to bring it to the mainland.

Oh, and A TRIBE CALLED QUEST!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

bestival_2017_line_V1.jpg
Hey Rev, me and my mate are djing in our own little corner four days straight, morning till night...look for something called The Shack, supposedly in woods not far from main stage ( i havent been to the site yet so dont know exactly). Please stop by and say hi! (just googled, we're not on any listings but its in the AESPIA'S LOST IN THE WOODS zone)
Bringing a nice rig too.

Did you spot this:

Hey Rev, me and my mate are djing in our own little corner four days straight, morning till night...look for something called The Shack, supposedly in woods not far from main stage ( i havent been to the site yet so dont know exactly). Please stop by and say hi! (just googled, we're not on any listings but its in the AESPIA'S LOST IN THE WOODS zone)
Bringing a nice rig too.

Did you spot this:

Sweet! Will you be billed as Ska Invita?

I did spot indeed! Just a shame all the old skool/DnB/jungle is on one stage on the Sunday only - I'm relying on you micro venues to keep me in DnB t'other nights ;)

Sweet! Will you be billed as Ska Invita?

I did spot indeed! Just a shame all the old skool/DnB/jungle is on one stage on the Sunday only - I'm relying on you micro venues to keep me in DnB t'other nights ;)
Mate we'll inevitably go Jungle DNB all night - theres three of us djing, one guy is ex-Kool FM (92-94 era) and another guy runs Launch DnB night. We're bringin the Launch soundsystem too (4x18s). It inevitably goes that way later in the night. Though daytime we'll be playing all sorts of dub/funk/disco/house/etc etc...ive been really getting into the house and garage thing as it goes. I go under the name Mikus, but if theres any kind of billing it will be The Shack. Stop by for a beer :thumbs:

On another note i was thinking about Tribe CQ ... I know that different promoters have been trying to get them to reunite and play the UK for years and no one managed it...now i think about it it seems with Phife dead, QTip is happy to do it...which saddens me.

It'll only be a bitter disappointment for me after Boomtown so I'll be giving it a miss as usual.

More tempted now it's not on that ridiculous island.

festivaldeb once lived in Ryde (as in Ticket To ;) ) ... and for many many years :)

Without her base there, I'd never have hopped on a ferry there to Bestival in Sept 2007 .. to take her by complete surprise at the fest by turning up there unexpected ... most romantic confirmation you can think of that we bost loved festivals** :)

**We'd only first met very shortly before :cool:

This isn't even a defence of Bestival on the IoW particularly ... it was great in the only year we went together, but much more for us at that time, than for the fest :D

The music and weather that year were all right or so, too ... :p

(We're rarely if ever go to the IoW now though, and we've never been back to Bestival there ... as correctly emphasised, the ferry expense is ridiculious :mad: )

Mate we'll inevitably go Jungle DNB all night - theres three of us djing, one guy is ex-Kool FM (92-94 era) and another guy runs Launch DnB night. We're bringin the Launch soundsystem too (4x18s). It inevitably goes that way later in the night. Though daytime we'll be playing all sorts of dub/funk/disco/house/etc etc...ive been really getting into the house and garage thing as it goes. I go under the name Mikus, but if theres any kind of billing it will be The Shack. Stop by for a beer :thumbs:

On another note i was thinking about Tribe CQ ... I know that different promoters have been trying to get them to reunite and play the UK for years and no one managed it...now i think about it it seems with Phife dead, QTip is happy to do it...which saddens me.

Cool beans! :)

Though they did play here in 2013:

Wasn't willing to pay £80-90 to see them support Timberlake and Jay-Z though :(

A friend is there and had her bag stolen which had phone, money but most importantly van keys. She has been at lost & found and nothing handed in but whilst there she has been hearing about a lot of other losses/thefts

I have sent her card details so she can pay a mobile locksmith whom is hopefully coming tomorrow.

ETA: locksmith is coming today for 10 vehicles. Hope they can all be sorted.

Last edited:
Went down Saturday morning and came back early yesterday.

New site feels tiny in comparison to IoW... although probably quite fortunate, since they didn't seem prepared for the rain/mud on Saturday! Took ages to cross on Saturday night because the whole thing was just a swamp. No additional woodchip/tracking put down even after the biblical rain. The path up to artist camping was lethal. Maybe they sorted it for Sunday?

Tribe were decent, as was Dizzee.

Hmmm, well. Went down for Saturday till about Sunday midday. Got out just before the worst of the weather by the sounds of it.

Was more than a bit underwhelmed I'm afraid. Lacked a certain amount of vibe for me. I am gonna apologise for being a tedious Glasto-bore, but it did feel a bit like the less interesting bits of that festival, but without all the good bits iyswim. A bit soul-less.

Was great to catch up (all too briefly!) with ska invita and Rutita1 :cool:; and I managed to have a good time regardless. Especially enjoyed Charlotte Church's Pop Dungeon thing, which was surprisingly excellent. National treasure :thumbs:.

Underwhelmed sums up my feelings too alsoknownas Glad we were on a freebie!

We were watching the forecast and as Monday was looking grim we packed up on Sunday morning just in case. When the TEMPEST started, around 4pm and they closed the arena we called it a day and headed home. The site was already trashed mud wise and it just didn't feel worth it to hold out to see if the rain stopped at least.

Other festivals seem to have more of their own 'identity' IME. Maybe it felt special on the IOW?

Also, this is grim :(

Bestival murder probe after young woman found dead on festival site

Especially enjoyed Charlotte Church's Pop Dungeon thing, which was surprisingly excellent. National treasure :thumbs:.
I agree insomuch that she should be buried so that metal detector enthusiasts can find her in a couple of hundred years.

Sassy, political, doesn't take herself too seriously, great voice, outspoken, :oops: as hell! and a great accent to boot! :cool:
Told me the score to Wales football match, that I was recording to watch when I got home. Never forgiving her.

Had a relationship with Gavin Henson of all people. Prize nobend.

Lot of the people who worked bestival seem pretty shaken up for various reasons. Not a great weekend all round by the sounds of it.

Yes my friend whom had her bag stolen has a DJ friend there whom had bag stolen from under a table on the stage they were playing on Sunday night.

I reckon it's Bestivals last year.

Yes my friend whom had her bag stolen has a DJ friend there whom had bag stolen from under a table on the stage they were playing on Sunday night.

It certainly feels like that.

I nearly went, glad I didn't now. Over the last few years largescale theft has become annoyingly common, mud happens and sadly sometimes people die. But with the initial reporting of a a murder and everything else as well it feels like its got a bad vibe going. It'll be a hard ask to sell enough tickets for next year I reckon.

a bag gets stolen and the festival shuts down?
It was a mudfest with shit weather from start to finish - definitely took effort - but thats part and parcel of festivals in the UK. The odd theft and OD are standard for festivals aren't they?

No not a bag stolen and festival shuts down. My understanding it moved from IOW due to poor ticket sales in previous years and scale of festival had been reduced to cut costs.

Back
Top Bottom