Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best pub in Brixton

What is the best pub in Brixton any why???
Ten years ago I'd have quite a few to name but it's hard to think of any great pubs now.

The Albert is still a good locals pub in the week, and the new landlord wants to out live music back on again so that's hopeful.
Hootananny has a good vibe when it's free entry. The Beehive is fine if you're after no-frills cheap boozing (and don't mind giving money to the CuntyBollocks owner).

The nearest best pub for me has to be the Old Dispensary in Camberwell which is like stepping back in time to an old Brixton boozer: no security, cheap prices, diverse crowd and loads of live music.. Like a mini Brady's if you will.

quite hard to avoid in a lot of places. lots of boozers have security in the centre of towns/cities over weekends. I would have had no mates if I refused to ever go in a place with someone on the door!

Crown & Sceptre top of Brixton Hill is still doing ales for £2.50/pint - Twickenham Brewery selection, usually three or four on. Not sure how prices for regular lagers etc compare.
I believe they do a karaoke night, but I usually go in the afternoon so can't review this.

Crown & Sceptre top of Brixton Hill is still doing ales for £2.50/pint - Twickenham Brewery selection, usually three or four on. Not sure how prices for regular lagers etc compare.
I believe they do a karaoke night, but I usually go in the afternoon so can't review this.
Its interesting how pubs in that area, Crown and Sceptre, The Sultan and Hand in Hand manage to survive quite happily selling pints for under £3, yet pubs down the hill in central Brixton, nearby Clapham and Tulse Hill simply cannot possibly survive unless they charge about £5 a pint, normally more. I get there will be differences in rents and circumstances, but it does show that selling a reasonably priced pint is achievable, even in Zone 2 London with high rents and business rates.

Its interesting how pubs in that area, Crown and Sceptre, The Sultan and Hand in Hand manage to survive quite happily selling pints for under £3, yet pubs down the hill in central Brixton, nearby Clapham and Tulse Hill simply cannot possibly survive unless they charge about £5 a pint, normally more. I get there will be differences in rents and circumstances, but it does show that selling a reasonably priced pint is achievable, even in Zone 2 London with high rents and business rates.
Rents are through the roof in Brixton. That said, the Albert has managed to be relatively affordable for years (comically it sold Brewdog for cheaper than their own awful bar opposite!), while the Railway in Tulse Hill can be very pricey, as can the Tulse Hill Hotel).

And because Brixton has been turned into Party Town Central, pubs have the additional expenditure of security, plastic glasses and BID charges.

Rents are through the roof in Brixton. That said, the Albert has managed to be relatively affordable for years (comically it sold Brewdog for cheaper than their own awful bar opposite!), while the Railway in Tulse Hill can be very pricey, as can the Tulse Hill Hotel).

And because Brixton has been turned into Party Town Central, pubs have the additional expenditure of security, plastic glasses and BID charges.
I went to a social meeting the other day in the Florence - Herne Hill. This is Greene King pub like the Albert.
The only beer I'd heard of on the fizz taps near me (ale was OFF) was Estrella from Barcelona (allegedly).
I have had Estrella in Catalonia and I'll swear it had more taste than the Green King version, which tasted like a mix of Kronenberg and Lidl mineral water..

Worst of it all was the price - £5,50 (or was it £5.90) - so over £11 for two pints.
To think I had three pints of Ruddles last night in the Beehive @99p per pint.
Ruddles in the cheapo Wetherspoons variety is nothing to get too excited about - but it does at least taste like beer, which I venture to suggest English Estrella does not.

Funnily enough Ruddles is brewed by Greene King in Bury St Edmunds - but unavailable in Greene King pubs.
I venture to suggest that Estrella may be brewed in the Eagle Brewery in Bedford - Carlsberg-Marstons have the brand rights.

I went to a social meeting the other day in the Florence - Herne Hill. This is Greene King pub like the Albert.
The only beer I'd heard of on the fizz taps near me (ale was OFF) was Estrella from Barcelona (allegedly).
I have had Estrella in Catalonia and I'll swear it had more taste than the Green King version, which tasted like a mix of Kronenberg and Lidl mineral water..

Worst of it all was the price - £5,50 (or was it £5.90) - so over £11 for two pints.
Ruddles in the cheapo Wetherspoons variety is nothing to get too excited about - but it does at least taste like beer, which I venture to suggest English Estrella does not.

Funnily enough Ruddles is brewed by Greene King in Bury St Edmunds - but unavailable in Greene King pubs.
I venture to suggest that Estrella may be brewed in the Eagle Brewery in Bedford - Carlsberg-Marstons have the brand rights.
The Florence isn’t a Greene King pub.

Metropolitan Pub Co, of which there are plenty round south London, are a subsidiary of Greene King. Normally more pricey than Greene King branded pubs.

There aren't any good pubs left in Brixton, sadly.....

I know some good ones further out but I'm keeping schtum.... :D

pleeeease say!

i havent been out in brixton in a long long time other than the Electric
Whats the Prince of Wales like these days?

pleeeease say!

i havent been out in brixton in a long long time other than the Electric
Whats the Prince of Wales like these days?
They've got rid of the jazz night and there are bouncers with obligatory I.D checks on the door 7 days a week after 5pm. On the plus side, they seem to be one of the few pubs that didn't hike their prices since covid, and still have a daily happy hour.

They've got rid of the jazz night and there are bouncers with obligatory I.D checks on the door 7 days a week after 5pm. On the plus side, they seem to be one of the few pubs that didn't hike their prices since covid, and still have a daily happy hour.
I can't do pubs with ID checks.

Is this a thing now? For everyone, regardless of age? I noticed that my local (in SE London) has lately sported a sign that ID must be shown and bags will be searched, but it's never enforced. Maybe it's a bluff to keep the riffraff out without actually paying a bouncer.

i dont really understand this ID thing -is Brixton less safe than it used to be? I find that hard to imagine
As far as the POW is concerned, it was only a thing on the club door and the pub at weekends. Then someone decided to stab someone else one night in the pub so the Police insisted on I.D checks every evening and a machine for them to scan them through so they know who was in the pub if something similar happens again. So I guess the blame lies at the arsehole who decided to bring a knife to the pub and then use it.

Agree with editor about the Albert, still my first choice. Would also recommend the White Horse on Brixton Hill, great food - the best Sunday roast, in Brixton, I think.

The best looking pub has got to be the Trinity Arms. Just let down by its boring clientèle and stoooooopid prices.

Last edited:

sorry about that. I didn't realise it was possible to be even more expensive than the Half Moon. I owe you!

I need to find other pubs/venues that are spacious and airy, reasonably covid aware, empty in the day time and - only important for me I know as I cant face transport yet - in walking distance of herne hill.

At last I can probably go in pubs requiring photo ID - that's if they will accept over 60s Oyster card - they will won't they?

Doesnt the hootahob still do bouncer ID check thing now?
I've never been asked for an ID check there.

And no, a lot of places won't accept an over 60 Oyster card :(

At last I can probably go in pubs requiring photo ID - that's if they will accept over 60s Oyster card - they will won't they?

Doesnt the hootahob still do bouncer ID check thing now?
Hootananny use common sense, if someone looks in their early 20's or younger they'll ask for I.D, if not they'll wave you through. They do a quick, cursory search after this then you are in for the night, and no pat downs earlier on in the week. They dont turn a blind eye to people smoking weed in the garden though!

Metropolitan Pub Co, of which there are plenty round south London, are a subsidiary of Greene King. Normally more pricey than Greene King branded pubs.
MetPubCo go to great lengths on their web site to hide the GK connnection (it's only in the terms and conditions). Others in the chain locally are The Tulse Hill Tavern, The Alexandra in Clapham, The Actress and The Bishop in E Dulwich, The Angel Oak and The Victoria in Peckham Rye. Another example of a large pub company having a premium sub-brand that appears to be independent. Mitchells & Butler have Nicholsons and Castle for example.

Wonderful performance at the Crown & Sceptre Streatham/Brixton Hill by Colbert Hamilton AKA Black Elvis. Still time to catch the second half at 6pm today 27th March! Free entry.

Back
Top Bottom