Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best pub in Brixton for daytime drinking?

Top of Brixton Hill - the Crown and Sceptre.
Went today to a social thing at mid-day.
They still do waiter/waitress service for those too stoned to go to the bar, but normal bar service is now on.

There's lots of space there and ample tables for reading/eating meals etc.

I got a bit smashed becuase I was naturally attracted to the Twickenham Breweries Daisy Cutter - 6,1 %.
After that I dropped to a more normal Sam Brookes Pumphouse 4.2%

The till receipts show the pub is currently run by Budva Ltd - a newly set up company.
Possibly this is the tenant insuring against the sort of problems we'vde know in the past at The Sun and The Cambria?

Oh the other thing - all the real ales are a flat rate £3.00 a pint, which seemed reasonable value to me - and exceptional in the case of the Twickenham Daisy Cutter.

I have another Brixton borers suggestion.
Fox on the Hill.
Went in an hour or so ago on the way home from University of East London (via Denmark Hill Overground).
I hadn't been in the Rox since before covid.
Fairly quiet at 1.30 pm obviously.
Vast choice of seating - masses outdoors - both totally open to the skies and under fancy awnings.
And of course some people prefer indoors near the bar and the loos.

I was offered a loyalty card. This is not new kin Wetherspoons -they had them about 15 years ago.
This card is specific to the Fox on the Hill - not JDW in general.
Buy 10 pints and get one free

I had Oakham Black Magic poerter, which went down a treat.
If I happen to go back later, I'd certainly go for more of that.
1631799786410.png

For those benighted enough to be into Coors ad Guinness (just about anything from Burton ion Trent) the Fox was receiving a massive delivery of barrels as I was sat there drinking my real ale. I doubt there is any beer shortage at the Fox on the Hill.

PS clientele quite mixed. Apart form old geezers like me you seem to have a sprinkling of NHS - doctors, nurses admin presumably.
Probably glad to get out of Kings or the Maudsley for a breath of fresh air.

PPS a pint of Oakhams Black Magic cost me £1.99

Back
Top Bottom