Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bee watch

I wouldn't worry about honey bees, not seeing any is like being concerned that there's a field with no cows in it - they aren't a wild species, they're effectively imported farm animals.
Just means there's no-one with a hive near you.
Which is good for the wild bees :)

Numbers are quite well down this year, compared to normal [ditto butterflies] seen only a few bumbles [red admiral / misc white ones, which probably include orange tips].
Very concerning --- think the wet winter / late spring has had an affect. ditto pesticides.

I usually get a range of wild / bumble bees and a few honey bees - I've been contemplating extra planting / nest sites as part of my long-term garden restoration.
Some friends think I should keep bees as they seem to like me !

Lots of people with lavender commenting on the lack of bees.

Plenty of bumbles in my garden for the foxgloves, bramble flowers. There was even one on the hydrangea which I had never seen before.

Earlier in the year we had hairy footed flower bees (they like the flowering currant) and now I'm seeing wool carder bees (after the fluff from the rose campion)

IMG_20240626_200510.jpgIMG_20240621_133857.jpgIMG_20240505_121256.jpgScreenshot_2024-04-18-22-35-19-485_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg

In the nature reserves near us there have been lots of solitary bees, butterflies and bumble bees.

As far as our garden is concerned we don't use insecticides or weed killer and the number of insects has increased a lot since we moved here a couple of years ago. Just this morning Button saw a bumble bee emerge from one of the flowers on our fox glove.

And the birds catch beakfuls of insects, not seen them catch any bees though. They grab caterpillars and grubs a-plenty.

I saw a bee on some agapanthus yesterday. I hadn't been out for a while so I'm like "it's a f***ing bee!" It was pretty windy, and the pictures aren't great I'm afraid.

The little bee was hanging on, these flowers were getting past their best too, but it did the rounds getting getting blown about with the swaying agapanthus.

Despite the blur, you can see its little bee proboscis. I don't know what kind of bee it was.

1724180739185.png

1724180889119.png

Callie what is the pink/cerise flower called please, I have loads in my garden and I don't know it's name.

We are up on different bee species but numbers have been down here for the last 5 yrs or so due to the late starting summers, this year has been horrid for plants and insects. I rescued a bee last night, it was huddling in some grass so I lifted it onto a dandelion so it could get a feed :) May have been a white bummed queen

Callie what is the pink/cerise flower called please, I have loads in my garden and I don't know it's name.

We are up on different bee species but numbers have been down here for the last 5 yrs or so due to the late starting summers, this year has been horrid for plants and insects. I rescued a bee last night, it was huddling in some grass so I lifted it onto a dandelion so it could get a feed :) May have been a white bummed queen
rose campion. There is a very bright white version too and you can get a pink and white one.

I've got leaf cutter bees in my garden and they're fascinating to watch. They take a little bite of leaf from a pot of violets growing nearby and fly into the greenhouse with it and burrow down into the soil of one of the flowerpots where I'm growing my sempervivums. Once they've made their nest they lay their eggs in there and cap the nest with another piece of leaf. They don't seem in the slightest bit bothered if I'm working in the greenhouse while they're doing their thing.

rose campion. There is a very bright white version too and you can get a pink and white one.
Campion to me is the wild stuff in the verges, you live and learn, thanks :) I've seen the white, it's lovely but it probably wouldn't stay white with the amount of rose in my garden, I've had other flowers change to the main colour before :) My chequered snake's head lilies mostly turned white I'm guessing cross pollination.

Like butterflies and moths, as an indicator species they've been thinner on the ground this year which is a worry. Here's one that was obliging for a close-up the other week...

bee.jpg

Back
Top Bottom