Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bearded Theory Festival - news and discussion

William of Walworth

Festographer
R.I.P.
Very early to start a new thread :oops: on this excellent (in 2019) festival, but I've started this because Early Bird tickets will be going on sale this coming Saturday (7th September).

Nothing on the official BT website yet, but their Facebook page announces this :

BEARDED THEORY'S SPRING GATHERING 2020

TICKETS GO ON SALE :
SATURDAY 7TH SEPTEMBER 2019 - 9:00AM
Thursday 21st May - Sunday 24th May 2020
Catton Hall, Catton, Walton-upon-Trent, DE12 8LN

-----
2020 Prices
Adult Early Bird : £110
Adult Early Bird 2 : £115
Adult Standard : £130
Age 12-16 : £60
Age 8-11 : £30
Age 0-7 : £0

Campervan Pass : (7.5 x 7.5 meter) pitch : £39.50
Caravan Pass : (7.5 x 7.5 meter) pitch : £39.50
Car Parking Pass : £13.50

This Saturday is falling at a skint time for us so we'll be picking the instalments method to pay -- details available somewhere :oops:

Anyway, this was a fantastic festival back in May, and I've every confidence next year's will be as good :cool: :)
Hope to see plenty of Urban festival-lovers there ..... :)

Last edited:
Nope, thats the spider, the afterburner is the first stage they built that looks a bit like a rocket

Nope, thats the spider, the afterburner is the first stage they built that looks a bit like a rocket

I wasn't ever aware of the pre-Spider stuff from Arcadia :oops: :oops: ... But looking again around Aracadia's FB, it looks like it showed up at plenty of fests a while back ...

But was the Afterburner ever at Glastonbury?? :confused:

Last edited:
Here's the first of Bearded's Newsletters for 2020 .... That's the first time I've noticed that Magical Sounds tent will be taking a rest in 2020 ... :hmm:

From August 2nd, on the Magical Sounds Facebook page

Magical Sounds said:
Hi all. Photos from this years Magical Sounds will be published soon. It was an amazing weekend and one of the best.
Magical Sounds will not be at Bearded Theory 2020 but hope to be back in 2021.
Bearded Theory organisers are releasing an amazing replacement very soon..
Stay tuned for iminent announcements of shows at the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge and other Magical Sounds news as we have it xx

That's partly why BT have hired Aracadia Afterburner for next year, it seems. Plus there'll be a different dance tent at the festival anyway :)

Last edited:
Yeah, it was in the naughty corner back in 2007 or so for a couple of years growing each time...

You've got a better memory of Glastonbury back then that I have :oops: ... from what little I vaguely recall in 2007, 2008, etc., I thought Aracadia @Glastonbury was the Spider back then! I do remember it's old location there though, and I went at least twice to the shows.

Anyway, it's nice to know that the Afterburner is being revived at Bearded Theory 2020. I bet it'll be quite spectacular at a relatively small festival like this :) :cool:

As ticket sell-outs go, that was spectacularly quick, last Saturday!! :eek:

My attempt to get Kate Bush tickets (London gigs) a few years back, also failed :mad: :(
But she at least had the politeness only to sell out her multiple gigs in about four or five minutes! :p

Very annoyingly, on of my local festivals Northern Kin has changed their weekend from mid-June to the same weekend as Bearded. I'm still leaning towards Bearded, mind.

As ticket sell-outs go, that was spectacularly quick, last Saturday!! :eek:

My attempt to get Kate Bush tickets (London gigs) a few years back, also failed :mad: :(
But she at least had the politeness only to sell out her multiple gigs in about four or five minutes! :p
You missed the Kate Bush flashmob at Green Gathering.

Bought me tickets today. Took all of 3 minutes and no mad hammering of F5 required.

Ferocious Dog, Flaming Lips, Doonicans, Blackballed, Leylines, Jess Silk, Gaz Brookfield... The rest of the line-up when it gets announced could be total bobbins, but so far, so VERY good. Weekend already sorted! :D

I've belatedly picked up from BT's Halloween newsletter on the website that :

Bearded Theory said:
We have a huge line up planned for Bearded Beats, Arcadia Afterburner, Maui Waui and Convoy Cabaret. We will be releasing all acts before the year is out.

:) :cool:

Last edited:
Lots more acts have just been added, including Patti Smith and Toot and the Maytals! :cool: :)

79697405_2747691348643810_5632452414423433216_o.jpg

Leftfield DJ Set could be great also :)

Plenty of interesting-looking acts to go onto the Maui Waui Stage too ... these were announced about ten days ago ...

Bearded Theory said:
We Are delighted to welcome big band the SWINGERS, THE MIGHT FLUX, jazz punk band ASK MY BULL, singer songwriter CASWELL, gypsy, fusion band THEO MIZÚ & BANDA, funk act STRETCH SOUL GANG, BT favourites, STAR BOTHERERS, solo act BARNEY NEWMAN. Saturday, we bring French fusion band LEHMANNS BROTHERS, ska reggae act CRACKED ACTORS, ska band TOWN OF CATS, gypsy swing band RIN TINS, reggae funk band THE PETTY THIEVES, acoustic pop act THE HORSE PUPPETS, acoustic singer BECKY LANGAN. On our penultimate day we see steampunk band IRON BOOT SCRAPERS, ska hip-hop act KARL PHILLIPS & THE REJECTS, world music act SEFO KANUTEH BAND, indie solo singer AMY MONTGOMERY, DRESSING GOWN MOB, folk band DIRTY OLD FOLKERS and HUT PEOPLE

:cool:

Lots more acts have just been added, including Patti Smith and Toot and the Maytals! :cool: :)

79697405_2747691348643810_5632452414423433216_o.jpg

Leftfield DJ Set could be great also :)
I've been wanting to do Bearded for years, but have always lacked sufficient annual leave, and it's norma;;y the week before Glastonwick. But there's a gap this year AND
PATTI SMITH ?????!!!!
(I worshipped Patti Smith as a spotty 16 year old)
I'm in. When's the U75 meet up?

Almost all bands/acts now announced!! :cool: :)

The above news is from Bearded's festival newsletter, 31st January

Which includes Convoy Cabaret's just-announced list ...

Convoy Cabaret/Bearded said:
Convoy Cabaret Friday welcomes the girls who like to rave and misbehave MY BAD SISTER, get cultural dance lessons from PETROL BASTARD, punk ska band DISSIDENT NOIZE FACTORY, punk act THE MENSTRUAL CRAMPS, underground punk band THE EBOLALAS, punk glam cabaret band T BITCH, ska reggae band FIDGET AND THE TWITCHERS and resident DJs MARK KELLY and the host with the most STEVE RUDEBOY.

Saturday
: jungle reggae DJ makes an appearance BUSTAWIDEMOVE, ska rave band CHINA SHOP BULL, goth punk band CLUSTERF&CK, rock act ZOMBIE MET GIRL, legendary acoustic poet MIK ARTISTIC’S EGO TRIP, punk band DOGSHI*E, originators of Psycho Surf Noir THE SINICTONES, metal band DIRT GASH and DJ OBERON doing an old school rave set.

Sunday is closed by ska band ONE EYED GOD, sax-punk combo THE CRAVATS, metal band THE BIGGEST THING SINCE POWDERED MILK, punk band WADEYE, ska punk act DR SPLINK, punk band THE MIGHTY BOSSMAGS, rock`n`roll act SINFUL MAGGIE and opening the day will be PUNK AEROBICS.

The Crusty Buskers Stage welcomes SPORADICS UNPLUGGED, MOLLUSCA, CARA MEANS FRIEND, KRISTINA STAZAKER, DIM VINE, TIGHT SQUEEZE, CONTROL Z ! CONTROL Z !, CHARLIE PARTRIDGE, SKA PETE THE UPLIFTER and DIM VINE

:thumbs: Cool as!! :D :) :D :p :beer: :cool:

Back
Top Bottom