Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barbados

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
My wife and I have been looking at maybe going for a few weeks, maybe December to mid March.

We've seen some interesting TV programmes about it, but know nothing about it.

Any ideas?

Can be very snobby and stuck up, not that interesting landscape, everyone tugging at your wallet all the time, large enough to have some nasty crime going on.

For the same cost as a flight there, Virgin flies on to St Vincent, stops in Barbados, doesn't cost any more. You may find that much more to your liking.

We went when I was a child.

You really need to go for a ride on the Jolly Roger. It was definitely one of my favourite memories.

Also, make sure you rent a "moke" so you can go to the other side of the island and see how they really live. Shopping at their markets is nice - discovered breadfruit.

I changed planes there once
Can be very snobby and stuck up, not that interesting landscape, everyone tugging at your wallet all the time, large enough to have some nasty crime going on.

For the same cost as a flight there, Virgin flies on to St Vincent, stops in Barbados, doesn't cost any more. You may find that much more to your liking.
I once changed planes in St Vincent and had a long enough layover for breakfast at the cobblestone inn..I endorse this comment. I also like Antigua .

Okay Barbados.

Food and drink expensive. If you go self catering you can save money provided you don’t take my OH to the supermarket as she overshops.

Last edited:
Been a few times to stay with mates who lived there but they moved about 20 years ago so nothing relevant to add. :p

Lovely place but as said before it is rich touristy.

Mustor’s Habour Bar and Resturant, Bridgetown.
The Flying Fish is amazing.
It’s a proper spit n sawdust place that is cash only but a friend recommended it and it’s the only eatery my OH insisted on revisiting.

Been a few times to stay with mates who lived there but they moved about 20 years ago so nothing relevant to add. :p

Lovely place but as said before it is rich touristy.
You can do it rich touristy. But I stayed in an air bnb, self catered, hired a car and hung out with the friendly locals.

There is a mix of British and American ex pats as well as locals.

A lot of Canadians used to go there. Maybe they still do, I don't know.

Hubby used to work for an airline that flew in there. Most employees flew stand-by because it was free. Stand-by means you only get on if there are extra seats on the flight, and most flights were chartered by tour groups.
I remember one time, there were so many employees stranded there that it started to affect the company's performance. So the airline sent an empty plane down just to bring the employees home.

The Jolly Roger is like the Malia boat party from the Inbetweeners.

In St Vincent you can go on the Friendship Rose down to Mustique or Tobago Cays…

IMG_1614.jpegIMG_1607.jpegIMG_1603.jpeg

Each to their own, Barbados is paradise for some folk and that’s all good, Rooney and Clarkson love the place.

Last edited:
St Vincent is just a 20 min flight if you are flying virgin and the flight doesn’t cost any more but you have to sit on tarmac for an hour before it carries on. Same kinda food but has a volcano and jungle rather than the flat of Barbados. And no Cliff Richard either. Bottom pic is bequia, an hour on the ferry from Kingstown in st V.

IMG_9594.jpegIMG_9561.jpeg

Went for 10 days in Feb 2023, stayed at Holetown (which is a bit pricier area on the west coast, but we found a good cheap hotel complex that was lovely).

Amazing country, can't speak for all the Island but where we were was honestly one of the friendliest and safest places I've been. Everyone wanting to chat, offer help / advice and just generally chill.

Got taken out by a few hotel employees to their local pop up shack bars, got bought endless rum and shared several cheeky smokes with randoms.

Beaches lovely, weather perfect (steady 25 during day, 18ish at night, though obvs that depends on when you go).

2nd the recommendation of Oistins Fish on a Fri night, great buzz, quality seafood and live music.

Downside is the cost, not a cheap place to eat or even shop, but we'd saved up for a few years specifically for Barbados so didn't mind too much.

Barbados has chefette - probably the best fast food chain in the entire world- they focus on rotis

Perhaps, that picture you posted of Bequia, that’s Fay’s Bar, does a decent rum punch, carry on to the bottom of that beach to Lions Den, give the fella two days notice and he’ll cook you the best meal you’ll get in the West Indies…

IMG_1584.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom