Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands/musicians who are criminally underrated but who can play really well

Tons and tons of them. I've just been talking about Samla Mammas Manna so they're on my mind right now. Most people won't have heard of them.

Ringo Starr, everyone disses him but his playing is genuinely excellent. His rhythm and timing are superb, and his style became progressively more unique and recognizable with each Beatles album. A great example of the OP .. bless you Ringo, and fuck the h8rz x
I'm not sure that you can really describe any of the Beatles as being criminally underrated?

I'm not sure that you can really describe any of the Beatles as being criminally underrated?

I don't know, I've often heard his drumming derided tbh probably by people who knew nothing about drumming. I suspect Paul McCartney's bass playing is generally underrated too, not derided but possibly eclipsed by his songwriting.

Blue Oyster Cult - deserve to be more successful than they are. Much more than just yer standard 70s hard rock band - not helped by one song that’s played to death. Every member is a multi-instrumentalist.

"World music". A marketing term invented in the 80s to create a section in record shops so there is somewhere for all non-western music to go, so that at least record shops would stock it. And to an extent it worked. But by lumping numerous different genres and sounds and bands from around the world, that are as different as metal is to hip hop is is to synthpop is to classical, all together in one place it also made it easy to dismiss. If someone heard some Indonesian Gamelan and hated it, then they might see no need to check out Nigerian funk, Turkish psych, Zimbabwean guitar bands or any of the other different sounds that all get lumped together.

To pick one act: Kanda Bongo Man. He redefined Congolese rhumba/soukous in the 80s, creating the Kwasa Kwasa sound. Previously the tunes would start with two or three minutes of a gentle rhumba song before stepping up the tempo and turning into another 5 to 12 minutes of dance tune. KBM started cutting straight to the dance bit. And he had guitarist Diblo Dibala, whose clean, fast guitar sound had enough energy to power a small city. Guitars were pushed to the front of the music and the whole sound of soukous changed. Diblo is an amazing guitarist, but no-one thinks of him when talking about the greatest guitarists as, y'know... 'world music'.

How underrated is Kanda Bongo Man? He played Glastonbury this year and the BBC didn't even bother to film him, being too excited about Rick Astley on the main stage. Criminally underrated.

“Roots” was a slightly better rebrand for “world”, which is what Virgin Megastore were using when I worked for them. Though they did lump it in with blues and folk. :rolleyes:

For the ratio of 'can play really well' against 'how widely they're known' being all wrong, Tool must be up there.

Woody Guthrie. I think he studied Maybelle Carter and learnt off Leadbelly, but in an understated way he backs up the song writing with a clever and hard to replicate guitar style. The chord sequences are fairly straightforward, and the recordings a bit dusty but he's really quite accomplished and dare I say it, inimitable. ('dare I say it' cos You Tube nerds abound).

Back
Top Bottom