Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bananarama

5t3IIa

From Popbitch:

Bananarama just scored a six-figure deal for their memoirs, out in October. No prizes for guessing the title: Really Saying Something.

I’d read it 😎 I used to quite like them before their SAW days. Broadly, the entire SAW era ruined the charts back in the times when there were charts.

‘Girl band’ adventures in pop music, collabs, & hair and outfits was v inspiring for a provincial 12 year old 😎

D133CBCC-4A94-443C-8E49-5479E32C7F2C.jpeg

Used to have a crush on all three of them when I was 5 years old. Their best track is still Cruel Summer. It's weird even though the lyrics to Robert De Niro's Waiting is somewhat naff, it's something I still listen to due to how catchy the beat is along with it just being 80s bubblegum pop. It was actually thanks to them I discovered The Velvettes and Beatles when my mum played me the original songs (which are still better than Bananarama's covers). They were a lot of fun when I got see them live at IoW festival back in 2009. They'll always have a special place in my heart from my childhood as well as my undying love for 80s music in general.

Jennifer Saunders always maintained that there was no one at all who could drink like Bananarama, and that the falling-out-of-the-cab scenes in Ab Fab were inspired by nights out with them. I think the memoirs will be worth a read. For sure.

ive never given them any thought, amazed to see theyve put out 12 albums... but most impressive is this according to wiki:

"Their success on both pop and dance charts saw them listed in the Guinness World Records for achieving the world's highest number of chart entries by an all-female group.[2] Between 1982 and 2009, they had 28 singles reach the Top 50 of the UK Singles Chart. "

I wonder what the secret is? Song writing aside they definitely have a karaoke, we're not really singers sound to their voices - very unpretentious. Maybe thats what people like so much?

Also on the wiki at one point they did backing vocals for the monochrome set editor

Back
Top Bottom