Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Baby fox in garden

A baby fox has just appeared on its own, in daylight. It's munching on spilled birdseed.

We don't see them that often here although they are about.

Thoughts please.

I would guess it's unlikely to be totally on its own.

There's likely to be a den somewhere nearby, even if you're not aware of it.

Foxes have a really diverse diet. They are expert hunters, catching rabbits, rodents, birds, frogs and earthworms as well as eating carrion. But they aren’t carnivorous - they are actually omnivores as they dine on berries and fruit too. Urban foxes will also scavenge for food in dustbins, and often catch pigeons and
You'd think this would class as an Urban fox :thumbs:

There is some controversy around feeding the foxes in your garden, but if you feed them in the right way, they can bring a huge amount of joy to your family.

Avoid:
  • Trying to tame, touch or hand-feed foxes, especially in urban areas. As wild animals, they should be respected and deterred from becoming too bold. Many people are scared of urban foxes because they mistake their inquisitive behaviour for aggression.
  • Putting out excessive amounts of food that could encourage foxes to become overconfident.
  • Putting out food they can take away and cache. Offering something they can eat on the spot discourages them from digging up neighbours’ gardens!
  • Leaving out food uneaten by foxes that could attract unwanted visitors like rats.

The bulk of a fox’s diet is made up of meat protein, so the best things to feed your local foxes are cooked or raw meat, or tinned dog food. They are also fond of peanuts, fruit and cheese.

Foxes can be fed all year round but should follow a set feeding routine. This encourages them to return to your garden at a certain time to wait for their meal. Food is less likely to be left standing, which in turn discourages rats.

I saw the first fox in my garden in the 24 years I've been here the other day, came up to the house but the dog started jumping up and down and barking :( so I doubt I'll see him again.

Now we've moved we don't get quite up and personal with the foxes like we did, bit I still put a small bowl of moist dog biscuits and the odd bit of leftovers out each evening.

Did it a few weeks back and one came up and nipped my foot in a non-aggressive, thank you kind of way. It was quite touching. :)

A vixen has a den under the concrete base of a neighbour's shed in the garden at the end of our garden. Last year she had one cub which had a limp, but it seems to have survived and moved away.
This year she has three cubs which chase each other round our garden. They don't cause any problems and cats avoid our garden which is a plus.

i've posted elsewhere but mum-tat has had several generations of fox family living in her overgrown garden / derelict shed

mum-tat does not feed or encourage them (although i have persuaded her to put water out when it's really hot)

this year there are 5 foxlets - not sure if it's one family or two. these from about two months ago, there were 2 adults with them, but don't know if that was 2 mothers, or mother and father.

foxes-02s.jpg

foxes-10s.jpg

foxes-12s.jpg

Yes, The Fox Project are amazing. They helped us with a fox which had terrible mange.

They left us a cage to trap him and gave us detailed instructions on how to use it (putting fresh food in it, checking it regularly, not leaving it set overnight so as not to cause it destress at being trapped if we couldn't check on it for a few hours). They said it might take a few days to catch it but they'd be contactable the moment we'd caught him. My neighbour and I suspected it wouldn't take that long. She used to leave food out for him along with the other local foxes and he was very tame. He'd happily sit with me while I worked in the garden just like a dog might.

As soon as the volunteer left, the fox appeared. I asked my neighbour for some of her fox treats (bits of bacon), I called the fox and showed him the treats. He followed me to the cage, I placed the treats in the cage, he walked in to get them and I closed the door behind him! He didn't freak out. My neighbour came to sit with him and feed him more treats while I called the volunteer.

The volunteer was back with us in under an hour and took him away to be treated. After a couple of weeks of treatment they brought him back to be released.

I've posted this before but this is him sat outside my front door.

IMG_1119.jpg

We had a whole family living more or less full-time in our garden earlier this summer.

Mixed feelings about it - the cubs were very cute, and it was lovely to watch them playing.

But they are a nuisance - they keep bringing items of clothing (presumably nicked from neighbours' gardens) into our garden, then they shit on them!

I had always believed that foxes and cats tolerate each other until a fox chased our elderly cat and possibly bit him. He's now reluctant to go out.

I've put chilli down, as apparently it deters them, but they were back the next day :D. I'll probably find a note from them saying they prefer chipotle or Scotch bonnet next time, please.

IMG_20240428_134251.jpg

They can be a nuisance I suppose, they particularly love picking up any pairs of trainers lying about, and some of their toilet habits leave a lot to be desired. :D

But I still love 'em!

Back
Top Bottom