Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Attendances....

Can anyone - and by 'anyone' I almost certainly mean Mishi - explain a bit about the context for that massive crowd v. Enfield in 1995/96? Notice we finished 5th in the Premier that season, so was it a game where we had a chance of going top? Or is it a misprint?

(Interesting - for me - D-team coincidence there, as Darlington also finished 5th in 95/96, this time in the old Division Three.)

Can anyone - and by 'anyone' I almost certainly mean Mishi - explain a bit about the context for that massive crowd v. Enfield in 1995/96? Notice we finished 5th in the Premier that season, so was it a game where we had a chance of going top? Or is it a misprint?

(Interesting - for me - D-team coincidence there, as Darlington also finished 5th in 95/96, this time in the old Division Three.)

From memory (which isn't great) we was in with a chance of going up right until last week or two, with Frank Murphy as Manager and if I am not mixing up my seasons we would have had Paul Whitmarsh, Joe Odegbami and Willie Lillington in our side, I think we might have had a 1000+ for Yeovil Town at home too!!

Frank the only manager as good as Gavin for us, entertaining football but best of all he run a pub!! ;-)

Cheers, Jamie. Didn't know Lillington had stuck around for so long - he's pictured, I think, with the Dulwich side who won promotion in my 1992 Non-League yearbook (why I had this aged 11 I have no idea) but I didn't realise he was in the mid-nineties team as well.

As I said mate, one season rolls in to another in my memory, but I think he left and came back at some stage!!

Pink Panther is the man for these sort of question really!! ;-)

From memory (which isn't great) we was in with a chance of going up right until last week or two, with Frank Murphy as Manager and if I am not mixing up my seasons we would have had Paul Whitmarsh, Joe Odegbami and Willie Lillington in our side, I think we might have had a 1000+ for Yeovil Town at home too!!

Frank the only manager as good as Gavin for us, entertaining football but best of all he run a pub!! ;-)
There was a similar five or six horse race for the championship to this season, but without one team pulling clear like Wealdstone did. Enfield were a big club in those days (the original one, not Enfield Town who we played this season), we played them near the end of the season on a Saturday afternoon and they brought about 400-500 supporters. If we'd played Maidstone at a similar stage of this season on a Saturday we could have had a similar sized crowd.

I think Hayes eventually won the league from Enfield by a goal difference of one! We finished fifth (6 points behind the champions) with Borehamwood 3rd and Yeovil Town 4th. Like this season we fell away in the final few weeks. We had 60 points after 27 games, but took only another 20 from the final 15 matches.

There was a similar five or six horse race for the championship to this season, but without one team pulling clear like Wealdstone did. Enfield were a big club in those days (the original one, not Enfield Town who we played this season), we played them near the end of the season on a Saturday afternoon and they brought about 400-500 supporters. If we'd played Maidstone at a similar stage of this season on a Saturday we could have had a similar sized crowd.

I think Hayes eventually won the league from Enfield by a goal difference of one! We finished fifth (6 points behind the champions) with Borehamwood 3rd and Yeovil Town 4th. Like this season we fell away in the final few weeks. We had 60 points after 27 games, but took only another 20 from the final 15 matches.
I was told a number of years later, that the season collapsed after a nameless Club official, who I won't name, as this is anecdotal, confirmed by three players of that team mind, that went into the chaging room before a home game, while the team talk was taking place, stood and listened, then said something along the lines of "It's not worth bothering, we can't go up with our ground anyway"...bearing in mind there was no Conference North & South in existence, and ground gradings were thus higher for the top National division.

I was told a number of years later, that the season collapsed after a nameless Club official, who I won't name, as this is anecdotal, confirmed by three players of that team mind, that went into the chaging room before a home game, while the team talk was taking place, stood and listened, then said something along the lines of "It's not worth bothering, we can't go up with our ground anyway"...bearing in mind there was no Conference North & South in existence, and ground gradings were thus higher for the top National division.
The other factor that didn't help was that Joe Odegbami - an incredible player who was as vital to that team, if not more so, than Erhun to the current one - got injured around about the time our form began to dip. He came back towards the end (I recall him coming off the bench for that Enfield game, which ended in a 1-1 draw after we'd scored inside the first five minutes) but was clearly nowhere near fully fit and a shadow of the player who had masterminded our fantastic results over the first two thirds of the season.

Joe was part of the legendary "Whits, Joe and Willie" forward line, along with Paul Whitmarsh and Willie Lillington. That team was essentially a fairly ordinary decent side playing functional football, but with fantastic forwards who could just destroy opponents in the final third.

Joeseph Oluwole Odegbami (Known as Joe to Hamlet fans but "Wole" generally was a Nigeria intedrnational who played top division football in several European countries. Apparently his wife was a senior diplomat and when she was posted to London he moved with her and ended up playing for the Hamlet. He was a magical player: around 6' in height, wiry and slightly round-shouldered. Like Erhun he wasn't exceptionally fast in a foot race, but just had that supreme touch and balance, and ability to lose markers with subtle changes of pace and direction. A couple of references:

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/football.joueurs.wole.odegbami.30526.en.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Odegbami

Paul Whitmarsh was a small, quick, terrier-like striker and a deadly finisher; a bit like a stronger and more reliable version of Frankie Sawyer.

Willie Lillington was a classic centre forward who had everything but pace, otherwise he'd surely have been a pro: hard as nails, superb header of a ball with that ability to "hang in the air" and almost rotate in mid-air to place his headers beyond the keeper's reach; great touch and vision with the ability to score from all manner of improbably angles with either foot. Absolute legend as both a player and a bloke.

Cheers for all that Jamie, Mishi and TPP. I remember Enfield being a big side - they went down from the Conference the year Darlo won it* and, when I first followed football, it always seemed to be assumed they'd be back. Would they have avoided what happened to them in the end if they'd gone up instead of Hayes that season?

* The same season that Darlo went to Fisher and the latter had loads of 'extra' supporters who'd taken the day off from a nearby club, mentioning no names, to come and beat up northerners. Some people from Darlo are still traumatised by that day, I believe.

I remember Enfield being a big side - they went down from the Conference the year Darlo won it* and, when I first followed football, it always seemed to be assumed they'd be back. Would they have avoided what happened to them in the end if they'd gone up instead of Hayes that season?

Arguable, but most at Enfield think the writing was already on the wall by then. The previous season Enfield were denied promotion to the conference because of "financial irregularities". Something wrong withe accounts... All became clear later when the chairman sold the ground to pay for debts. That was the beginning of the end for Enfield in the eyes of many, the loss of Southbury Road marking the - err - end of the end.

In this season we had 9592 spectators in the first 16 leaguematches at home. There's one game left and we need 608 for 600 in the middle. That's quite good for us. We're top of the league in that case and the last years attendences were 488, 465, 460, 488 and 763 (the last one 4th division at Victorias ground).

One for all to nah to answer. There were 250 there on Sunday...plus about 10 dogs, but 2000 for the recent cup semi-final.

Yes, I'm sorry - that was definitely the worst attendence this season. But the match itself (third playing second) was great, wasn't it?

In this season we had 9592 spectators in the first 16 leaguematches at home. There's one game left and we need 608 for 600 in the middle. That's quite good for us. We're top of the league in that case and the last years attendences were 488, 465, 460, 488 and 763 (the last one 4th division at Victorias ground).

Yes, I'm sorry - that was definitely the worst attendence this season. But the match itself (third playing second) was great, wasn't it?
Like pompeydunc a lot of locals were probably more interested in the St. Pauli game..

More importantly you need 1730 to average 666.

Reported that Dulwich Hamlet attendances last season were up a staggering 36.5%

Total Ryman League attendances across all clubs were also well up (about 27%): http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/soham...-league-attendances-up-in-201314-1226564.html (not sure why this is on the Soham Town Rangers page but there you go).

We were the highest percentage increase I think (apart from Thamesmead whose crowd went from 60 to 100 or something like that) but in general it looks like there's a real appetite for grass roots football at the moment.:)

A Bromley fan at work was asking me last night how we had boosted crowds so much. I beckoned him closer. No no, closer still. His head was almost touching mine. No, cloooser my boy. I was nearly choking on his musty stench of suburbia, but I maintained. Closer... CLOSER! And then I whispered, "We rub our nipples."

A Bromley fan at work was asking me last night how we had boosted crowds so much. I beckoned him closer. No no, closer still. His head was almost touching mine. No, cloooser my boy. I was nearly choking on his musty stench of suburbia, but I maintained. Closer... CLOSER! And then I whispered, "We rub our nipples."
But would we rub each others nipples... (Ooh, gone too far?) ;)

so what will be the attendance on Saturday against Harrow

first home game of the season last year was against Lowestoft

Attendance: 542

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom