Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Artisan florist in Stoke Newington sells sticks for up to £18

That's about a three-hour cleanup job for two guys with chainsaws and a wood chipper.

I'm assuming most Londoners don't have the tools to turn something like that into a nice, decorative ornamental stick?
Something as advanced as a saw and a bit of sandpaper, you mean?

There are fields and fields of cabbages and onions around here. Why would someone pay for these things in a shop :confused:

Abney Park was a very active cottaging site. Which is a little awkward when you weren't aware of it, and took your very active and energetic Spring Spaniel pups for a Walk there one Sunday afternoon.

I thought we were talking about Stokie, sorry.

So people have to buy these things there? Perhaps there is no shortage of cars, street furniture etc. Why pay for a vehicle when you can just take one from your local road?

There's loads of green space around Stoke Newington. With trees and everything!

I'm sure there are; but it would be uncool if people went into public parks to saw off pieces of healthy trees in order to cadge themselves a free ornamental branch.

Fallen wood is often dead or diseased. Healthy wood sometimes blows down in storms etc., but wood is heavy: fallen healthy wood is often cracked or otherwise damaged from the fall.

Also, certain types of wood will be more desirable for decorative ornaments than others. People generally won't want the softer hardwoods or softwoods, like birch, cottonwood, or chestnut. Ornamental decorative branches are more likely to be cherry, maple, walnut, etc.

Finding a pristine length of the proper kind of wood will probably take a good dose of hunting and luck.

Some people might prefer to pay for something like that, rather than put in a lot of work to chance upon it in Clissold Park. Doesn't seem all that outrageous.

What this story really is, is a bit of clickbait which is actually about a non-event; but written in such a way as to ensure lots of views, and lots of 'righteous indignation' type comments in the 'Replies' section.

What this story really is, is a bit of clickbait which is actually about a non-event; but written in such a way as to ensure lots of views, and lots of 'righteous indignation' type comments in the 'Replies' section.

NO WAY!!

(with added superfluous and unnecessary punctuation)

Two Stoke residents, after a successful outing to Clissold Park:

I+got+wood+shirt+sean+of+the+dead+_7c5d5d42ce83d90e1d5b1cb429a6c9d7.jpg

Are decorative sticks really a thing?? I've got a nice shard of driftwood, and I've saved a large oak biscuit because it's pretty and makes a nice plant stand..wood is lovely, but a single, solitary stick?!

I'd need maybe 20 of them, and a tall vase, and some fairy lights, and we'd have something worth dusting... But such a project would at London prices set me back £18 x 20 just for the sticks. I can't agree to this.

Unless the stick is for dog owners, as something to throw? Or maybe it's for diviners?
:(

Are decorative sticks really a thing?? I've got a nice shard of driftwood, and I've saved a large oak biscuit because it's pretty and makes a nice plant stand..wood is lovely, but a single, solitary stick?!

I'd need maybe 20 of them, and a tall vase, and some fairy lights, and we'd have something worth dusting... But such a project would at London prices set me back £18 x 20 just for the sticks. I can't agree to this.
You can get them online:

Natural Tree Branches Sale | 20?60% Off | SaveOnCrafts

Many of those products are gorgeous architectural tree branches which are lovely, or horsetail which is useful, or slices of wood which would be hard to cut without a saw thingie.... All makes sense, especially if I'm after Manzanita or Mitsumata branches, as they aren't common in Salford.

But 19 dollars for 2ft of chestnut branch. I am in the wrong business. The ones posted by editor look ridiculous, perhaps part of a wider and more sense-making product offer?

But 19 dollars for 2ft of chestnut branch. I am in the wrong business. The ones posted by editor look ridiculous,

It's not chestnut: but that's beside the point.

It might look ridiculous to you; but so what?

What's with this impulse to ridicule, become offended or even outraged by other people who make otherwise non-important lifestyle choices that happen to be different from yours?

It's not chestnut: but that's beside the point.

It might look ridiculous to you; but so what?

What's with this impulse to ridicule, become offended or even outraged by other people who make otherwise non-important lifestyle choices that happen to be different from yours?

I'm a crafter, I see no issue in buying wood necessarily. I do think stout little branches of common or garden wood at inflated prices is ridiculous, and probably against the spirit of crafting actually!

Other that that minor issue, I remain steadfastly unoffended and unoutraged.

I'm a crafter, I see no issue in buying wood necessarily. I do think stout little branches of common or garden wood at inflated prices is ridiculous, and probably against the spirit of crafting actually!

Other that that minor issue, I remain steadfastly unoffended and unoutraged.

They sell those wood chunks in artisanal shops and florists here, too - and we live in a Coastal Rainforest. Literally thousands of trees. Probably millions.

I hadn't given it much thought before now: but from now on, when I'm at Granville Market, I will be on the lookout for any of my fellow citizens who are engaging in this ridiculous behavior... and will perhaps give a disapproving 'tsk tsk', as I pass by.

The moral/cultural high ground is such a fulfilling place to be. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom