Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are these Wooden French doors beyond repair?

Hollis

bloody furious
I have put off doing anything about them for a decade mainly because I hate dealing with any Window/Door related company

1000013824.jpg

Things have bought to a head because a neighbourly cat is getting their paw round the door and encroaching on the premises.

Failing repair does anyone know a good company in London fir this sort of stuff.. :facepalm:

I spent a half term with my aunt fixing totally fucked French windows.

However she taught furniture crafts so had all the tools and skills to do it.

Basically the entire bottom was cut off and a replacement was made and joined into place.

Don't have any good pics but here you can see the new repaired side contrasted with the side that was deemed good enough to leave as is.20231105_190809.jpg

You can't really tell but the bottom looked like driftwood before the fix.

The one on the right (as seen from outside) doesn't look too clever, bit at the bottom right corner of the window looks completely rotten through.

Probably looking at replacing a fair bit of the wood completely, which is a job for a proper carpenter that'll likely cost more than getting someone to fit some new ready made doors. The old ones would also need to be stripped, re-treated and re-painted.

I'd go for some good honest uPVC at this point myself, ask your neighbours for local recommendations

What are the benefits of uPVC v wood - I thought wood lasted longer? Though as I'm unlikely to be here more than 10 years, I'd not that bothered on longevity.

What are the benefits of uPVC v wood - I thought wood lasted longer? Though as I'm unlikely to be here more than 10 years, I'd not that bothered on longevity.
In short/medium term:

uPVC would probably be cheaper.
Maintenance costs are lower.

In the short/medium/longer term:

Wood will probably cost more for replacements - although having said that, you could try getting a couple of quotes for repairs. If you're very lucky wood repairs might cost less than uPVC replacements.

Maintenance costs are higher in that you'd need to repaint them relatively regularly, like maybe every 3-5 years? (Can't remember exact time frame, seek advice depending on what you use.)

It might have an impact on resale value if/when you come to sell the property. Are all your other window frames wood? Might seem a bit weird to have on set of doors on uPVC. Some people are sticklers for wanting period features in period buildings.

Of course, some people (prospective buyers) will have a preference, but you can't appeal to everyone .

For the same quality (ie weathertightness, airtightness, insulation, robustness) it's much cheaper and the maintenance costs are effectively zero.

That suits me. I live in a conservation area... but as it's the back of the house I don't think it matters if they're uPVC.

My dad ( a master joiner and cabinet maker) used to repair our childhood home's wooden windows. The back windows got a lot more weathering and needed much more work. I remember him removing rotten bits and building up parts that had rotted away using a sort of malleable material that hardens. Then shaving it back and finally painting the lot.
He did this for years. The windows lasted 55 years and were finally replaced with upvc double glazing last year ..probably because they were no longer being maintained.

Last edited:
That suits me. I live in a conservation area... but as it's the back of the house I don't think it matters if they're uPVC.

So do we. Our upstairs neighbour had to get permission for replacing her rear windows that were not even visible from the street.

We errrrr forgot to ask when we did ours. :hmm:

So do we. Our upstairs neighbour had to get permission for replacing her rear windows that were not even visible from the street.

I don't know enough about the rules on these things, but if you end up doing something that isn't allowed, it might cause issues if and when you come to sell the place (i'm assuming that the 'not being here' means you're thinking of moving some time)

and if local cat can get in, then it may also be an issue with your insurers if someone else gets in - they can get difficult about paying claims if they say somewhere wasn't secure.

Check first, then, if you live in a conservation area, because opting for cheaper uPVC might cost you more in the long run if you have to remove them and replace with wooden ones if/when the conservation officer gets wind.

Back
Top Bottom