Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Archive of dissent - Peter Kennard

Thats an interesting first post Lisa and you are welcome.
It was possibly my favourite exhibition that I have visited this year, and it was free.

What a great little exhibition at the Whitechapel.

View attachment 439464View attachment 439465View attachment 439466View attachment 439467
Went yesterday with Mrs B and we throughly enjoyed the exhibition. We loved the scale, (just right), the date range of the exhibits, (thinking of the NHS cuts photomontage from 1971), and the ability to flick through the exhibits on those flappy boards; brilliant. What an awesome body of work.

A few observations about we were affected by the images; firstly we both thought they took us back to a very different time. A time when we probably believed that real change/resistance was possible through Parliamentary means; we just couldn't imagine what younger exhibition goers would make of posters for Labour Party anti-nuke rallies/marches and a municipal body like the GLC hosting a peace year! We were also taken with how many of the images we remembered and, in some cases, had up on the walls of our shared flats in the early 80s. It was also quite sobering to see real old newspapers containing proper journalism as part of the exhibits.

All in all, a great little exhibition of Peter Kennard's important work.

Went yesterday with Mrs B and we throughly enjoyed the exhibition. We loved the scale, (just right), the date range of the exhibits, (thinking of the NHS cuts photomontage from 1971), and the ability to flick through the exhibits on those flappy boards; brilliant. What an awesome body of work.

A few observations about we were affected by the images; firstly we both thought they took us back to a very different time. A time when we probably believed that real change/resistance was possible through Parliamentary means; we just couldn't imagine what younger exhibition goers would make of posters for Labour Party anti-nuke rallies/marches and a municipal body like the GLC hosting a peace year! We were also taken with how many of the images we remembered and, in some cases, had up on the walls of our shared flats in the early 80s. It was also quite sobering to see real old newspapers containing proper journalism as part of the exhibits.

All in all, a great little exhibition of Peter Kennard's important work..
Saying the scale was right, I guess so, but it's left me hungry to explore more of his work. I didn't feel the time/place thing. It made me feel angry and sad about what a fucked up world we continue to live in, how people can be so cruel and inhumane and how we never learn. However, we have moved on but not in a good way. We moved on by making "smarter" more devastating and cruel weapons. Mans inhumanity to man.

Saying the scale was right, I guess so, but it's left me hungry to explore more of his work. I didn't feel the time/place thing. It made me feel angry and sad about what a fucked up world we continue to live in, how people can be so cruel and inhumane and how we never learn. However, we have moved on but not in a good way. We moved on by making "smarter" more devastating and cruel weapons. Mans inhumanity to man.
Get that, totally.

The exhibit that really brought us up short was the photomontage poster about protesting the sale of the state owned telephone system; shows how far the neoliberal project has progressed.

A very interesting exhibition!
I've seen it a couple of times, I go to the Whitechapel Gallery fairly often as I'm a member - that exhibition is free for everyone of course.

Get that, totally.

The exhibit that really brought us up short was the photomontage poster about protesting the sale of the state owned telephone system; shows how far the neoliberal project has progressed.
I couldn't pick a single piece to sum it up, 6 pieces maybe.

Interesting stuff - and curious whether he was any relation to investigative journalist Matt Kennard, I had a quick look online and it appears he is his father :oldthumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom