Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone made creme brulee with tinned custard?

telbert

Do you like sponge?
Someone told me about this recently as a quick spur of the moment alternative to the original.They swear its just as good but before i try it(tonight possibly) i want a few more opinions.
Cheers.

just as good? well - that would depend on how much you like tinned custard.

ocado do a vanilla/double cream custard in a big pot and something like that might work. But tinned custard is a different texture, colour, flavour... it would be a different desert entirely.

But it can't work! Not without witchcraft anyway - creme brulee only holds together because of the egg proteins. Tinned custard (which is made gloopy by agar gum or cornstarch) will probably behave very differently under a hot grill / a blowtorch and might degenerate into claggy lumps. It'd only be the sugar crust holding it together surely?

But it can't work! Not without witchcraft anyway - creme brulee only holds together because of the egg proteins. Tinned custard (which is made gloopy by agar gum or cornstarch) will probably behave very differently under a hot grill / a blowtorch and might degenerate into claggy lumps. It'd only be the sugar crust holding it together surely?

You've obviously not tried it have you? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom