Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone Ever Got The Thames Clippers?

Jonathan1990

TFL have another way of getting around London which not many people know about besides buses, trains and the tube. Boats called The Themes Clippers. They operate from Putney to Greenwich with some services extending to Woolwich. Could be extended to Que Pier for a longer journey up the river.

No, but I read a crime novel recently - the other passenger - that revolved around a group of commuters who used the Thames Clippers on a daily basis; the novel was ok, I was more interested in the mode of commuting though, sounded idyllic if pricey.

Yes, I’ve commuted to work from Putney and got the boat home on quite a few occasions.

It’s definitely the most scenic way to travel through the city, and I certainly recommend doing it once in a while as you’ll always get a nice seat, often with a table, and you can stand outside if it’s warm, plus they have onboard food and drinks and plenty of room for a bike.

My main issue is the price however. Unlike some cities (eg Sydney) where travel by boat is included as part of the travel card zone allowance. The Thames Clippers are not. And they’re fairly expensive too. The other issue is that the RB6 from Putney doesn’t run at weekends which would’ve been nice.

I work in Greenwich and used it to get to Putney once. I had several hours between finishing work and a meeting in Kingston. Sadly there are no services all the way to Kingston. The journey involved a long wait in Greenwich, where on busy days they limit the number of people boarding the boats, so the one in front of me went off less than half full. The boats are not direct, so I had to spend 15 or so minutes in a floating waiting room at London Bridge. I'm sure it could be run more efficiently, but given the way the Thames meanders, it's never going to be a particularly direct journey.

Used to have to get from Westminster to Canary Wharf for meetings, If I could do it over lunch would take the boat. It was lovely.
Same as this. I used to actually get off a southbound Jubilee line train at Westminster to get the boat to Canary Wharf every now and then in the summer. Obviously it took way longer than just staying on the train but it made the day a bit nicer. As others have said it was quite expensive though. I think it was about £6 one way including the discount that you got for your travelcard.

Last edited:
A few times. Once when I was going to a black tie do in Battersea. Two Japanese women asked to have a photo taken with me :hmm: they called me James Bond which was flattering and embarrassing :D

Nice trip for a tourist and it has a bar.

And you are allowed to smoke out there? Even on a massive ferry there is only one tiny smoking area outside.
I dunno, I don’t smoke but it’s outdoors. Mind not sure how you’d light up in the 40mph winds...

I also used to take it for meetings in Canary Wharf when I worked in Blackfriars. It's not the most efficient mode of transport but it's nice to travel by boat every now and then.

I've read that book marshall - I thought it was crap :D

:D Nah, you're probably right, picked it up in the supermarket, hated everyone in it, but still had to find out how it ended :oops:

We've taken it loads, probably a few dozen times over the years.
On sunny days when going to a Brentford game I take another service from Embankment to Kew Bridge.
Great way to travel/see London.

I remember the fist time we took it and the guide told us what Wharf meant, never knew until then.

Back
Top Bottom