Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone else in the Thames Water area have really Chlorine-y water atm?

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
For about the last couple of weeks my mains tap water has smelled really strongly of chlorine - I've been having to let it sit a while before drinking (I know it is perfectly safe, it just smells and tastes rank). This is a fairly recent development, just wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar.

ah the far east, it doesn't seem to have reached Hackney yet, have you called Thames Water?

No, because it will be wasting the cost of a phone call for them to tell me that it's just normal treatment works, let the water stand for a bit etc. which I already know.

I think it's due to that parasite in the water in Lancashire and how the water company there is going to have to pay a shit-load of compensation, Thames Water just went "fuck that for a laugh" and upped the water treatment regime just in case, our water will probably taste of chlorine forever now. :(

No, because it will be wasting the cost of a phone call for them to tell me that it's just normal treatment works, let the water stand for a bit etc. which I already know.

I think it's due to that parasite in the water in Lancashire and how the water company there is going to have to pay a shit-load of compensation, Thames Water just went "fuck that for a laugh" and upped the water treatment regime just in case, our water will probably taste of chlorine forever now. :(
sounds about right - just googled Thames Water upping chlorine and this happened
Why might my water smell or taste of chlorine?
  • Chlorine is a disinfectant which has been used for many years in the water industry to make water safe to drink. Disinfection plays an important role in protecting public health by killing harmful bacteria. Using chlorine is better than using other disinfectants as it is effective from our treatment works right up to your tap.
    Your water may occasionally smell or taste of chlorine after we have made a change to our water treatment processes. The level of chlorine dosed into your drinking water is carefully controlled and monitored.
    We strive to keep the level of chlorine constant. Unavoidable operational changes at our treatment works, or in our distributing pipes, may result in a slight taste of chlorine. Chlorine leaves our treatment works at less than one milligram per litre (one part per million), the level recommended by the World Health Organisation. By comparison, water found in swimming pools typically contains 3 milligrams per litre of chlorine which is easy to smell. .
    Treating drinking water with chlorine poses no risk to health. If you’re concerned about the taste then a good way to let the chlorine evaporate is to fill a jug with water and refrigerate it overnight. Water kept like this should be treated as a perishable food and be consumed within 24 hours.
    Domestic water filters or jug filters (both of which can contain activated carbon) can be used to remove chlorine from tap water. These filters should be used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. There is no reason to use either type of filter on health grounds, as tap water containing chlorine is perfectly safe to drink.

I hadn't noticed marty21 and I think I'm not far from you (N16) however, I do use a filter jug for drinking water.

My grandmother lived in south Worcestershire and her water got so bad with the chlorine that my aunt and uncle's dogs refused to drink it so they had to bring their own when they came up from the south coast :D

Back
Top Bottom