Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone built a shed?

telbert

Do you like sponge?
I'm thinking of building a new shed in the garden, 12 x 6 ish from scratch. Ideally I'd like a slab/ concrete base , 3 x 2ish frame and either exterior ply or ship lap.
Any one know whether theres a lot of difference in cost between the options?
Ta.

I was looking to build a shed myself, and after going through all the options (because I wanted something solid and long life that I could maybe work in) cost wise it just made more sense to get someone to concrete a section of my garden and pay these guys to plop a garden office on it.
Only took a day, and worked out cheaper than anything I could manage myself.
Worked out a g'damn treat for working at home.

I'm talking about building one from scratch. I've put a few together that have been bought but I want to build one from either shilpa or play.

I’m told there’s plenty of free ones about, no? I’ll ask my mate where he got his. He picked up both of his free.

They were advertised free, he just had to dismantle, collect and re-build.

E2A: OK, I asked and I’m told they are often on local freecycle sites and in local papers (and their websites if they host the listings), also to look on sites that are outside London (or city of your choice) as there are more up for grabs the greener it gets.

Last edited:
Unless you are going to go for flimsy larch-lap exterior cladding plywood will be the cheaper option.And can I suggest that you give it a corrugated PVC roof which is cheap and makes for a FAR less poky shed.
Last one I put up had four 3 x 3 corner posts (on metal pegs into the ground)-brick floor- corrugated PVC on plywood-framed roof-and no walls (cos need to dry out firewood).
Its in deep shade so, if I do eventually put the walls on, I am thinking of forking out for twin-wall ploycarbonate which is lovely stuff.

I’ve never built a shed, but I was up on the roof of one yesterday, fixing it. So my advice would be to screw the roof panels down, not use nails, as I could pull out by hand the nails which had been used when the shed was built (which explains how the wind whipped off a 2m x 1m section of corrugated steel flat roof panel).

I like @Duncan2’s suggestion of see thru PVC roof to let some light in.

If you just want a vaguely waterproof wooden box for piling up with garden and general crap - then you can get kits for a couple of hundred quid that will serve. If you want a garden room, insulated, wired up, carpets, windows, quality roof etc, then you can easily spend £10k. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

We used 4x4 fenceposts (for our field kitchen). Marine ply and felt for the roof and some gumtree paving slabs for the floor. We only have 2 walls. One day, we will get it clad in larch. Sheds can be constructed over a period of time - get the framework sorted first

I’m told there’s plenty of free ones about, no? I’ll ask my mate where he got his. He picked up both of his free.

They were advertised free, he just had to dismantle, collect and re-build.

E2A: OK, I asked and I’m told they are often on local freecycle sites and in local papers (and their websites if they host the listings), also to look on sites that are outside London (or city of your choice) as there are more up for grabs the greener it gets.
They dont take dismantling kindly.

Fuck it I’m in...

got a poured concrete spot and I can’t be arsed trawling through the internet to find a cheap as fuck shed to be delivered some random time in the future. Homemade the way forward.....

how the fuck so you start

Fuck it I’m in...

got a poured concrete spot and I can’t be arsed trawling through the internet to find a cheap as fuck shed to be delivered some random time in the future. Homemade the way forward.....

how the fuck so you start
Buy lots of wood. Make a base. Cover base with floor. Make a wall at a time. Include windows and doors as required. Cover frames with suitable panelling.. Such as shiplap. Make roof frames. Cover roof with suitable wood. Cover with felt. Add down pipes/gutters/water butt as needed. Add windows and doors. Door furniture etc. Paint with whatever preservative you chose. Add chair, light pipe, open ale, sit and relax

My dad said once got a load of old metal window frames with glass and built a shed around the oddments of window sizes he had. Was big enough for a pool table in the end!

Eta the whole top half was glass on 2 sides :D

Another way of doing it-perhaps the simplest-is to start with four uprights of 3 x 3 or better 4 x4 on those excellent metal spigots which you drive into the ground.Create "goal-posts", as it were, front and back with 3 x 3 timber and carriage bolts. Connect the "goals" thus formed with that cheap but sturdy stud-work timber £2.99 in Wickes.That gives you a bomb-proof cube.To top it off you can make eaves from triangles of plywood screwed to the goal-posts (a third triangle half-way down to make it fancy) which you connect up with laths to form rafters.If you use clear corrugated PVC to cover the roof the net result can be aesthetically quite pleasing.Walls may be unnecessary but if required they can be the thinnest,cheapest featherboard you can find since all the strength is in the timber frame.

Whatever timber size / shape & quality you decide to use, make sure that is treated against going rotten, especially the endgrain of posts and framework - and if you cut anything to length, treat that fresh surface with a decent quality preservative.

Modern (cheap) timber is often very open / wide grain and as a result it may be physically lightweight but will need that preservative ....

Buy lots of wood. Make a base. Cover base with floor. Make a wall at a time. Include windows and doors as required. Cover frames with suitable panelling.. Such as shiplap. Make roof frames. Cover roof with suitable wood. Cover with felt. Add down pipes/gutters/water butt as needed. Add windows and doors. Door furniture etc. Paint with whatever preservative you chose. Add chair, light pipe, open ale, sit and relax

I’ve gone for the
“do the decking but have shit loads spare to start a shed“
Approach

if only i could get my da to post on the interwebz

he has built multiple sheds over the years

and the last one took me and him 2 days to smash apart
after it had lasted 15 years and even had power

Ended up drawing what I wanted and getting a local shed company to make it in panels for me.( the first 3 that i asked wouldn't ). 10 ft x 8 ft. All shiplap including the roof with bigger beams( needed to stand on the roof to prune a massive fucking cherry tree thats a cunt.) Treated all the panels myself , 4 coats base and roof, 3 coats for the rest inside and out . Built on a 6 inch concrete base. Now insulated, carpeted, workbench that you could park a car on & racked out along with 230 v power, WiFi and a telly. Just need to fit a fan now . Ill put some pics up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom