Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone any good at traditional Irish English?

Slo-mo

Banned
Banned
A couple of phrases from a song I'd like translating, so to speak. Can someone help a dumb Englishman?

The song is 'Dublin in the rare auld times' which has been sung by a few folks, but I'm most familiar with the Dubliners version.

The narrator of the song says he was "born hard and late in Pimlico". Googling tells me there is a Pimlico in Dublin. It doesn't tell me what "hard and late" means? Does it just mean a tough upbringing?

His first girlfriend, he says, was a "A rogue & a child of Mary" Does this just mean being a Catholic? Or an orphan raised by the church? Or something else?

Hard and late....I take to mean tough childhood..had to grow up fast
The Child of Mary is a reference to
The Congregation of the Children of Mary. The group was first opened to girls who were students or orphans in the care of the The Sisters of Charity but it reached most Catholic secondary schools and eventually was part of growing up in a Catholic Ireland up to the 90s.... It basically was just being a devout catholic...saying prayers and doing charitable works. You got a silver medal when you joined. It was gone from girls schools when I was at school but my mum had the medal.

The Catholic Collector: Congregation of the Children of Mary Medal

Back
Top Bottom