Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Any electricians here? (Hardwiring a cooker advice)

Minnie_the_Minx

someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox
Or anyone that knows anything about electrics or know what the difference between a 6 and 10 amp cable is?

I'm not an electrician, but I have wired in cookers before.

A fully electric cooker needs to be on a 30amp circuit, and be installed using a 30amp cable.

If you have (or have had) an electric cooker at home before, shouldn't be a problem - just remember to switch off that circuit at the fuse box aka consumer unit before you do anything.

If you've bought a new cooker, it should come with appropriate cable already attached, which you simply reconnect the same way as the old one was connected.

Various helpful links here

Don't use a 6 amp cable when you actually need a 10 amp one... :eek:

I rang manufacturer and he said either was ok. :hmm:

I'm not an electrician, but I have wired in cookers before.

A fully electric cooker needs to be on a 30amp circuit, and be installed using a 30amp cable.

If you have (or have had) an electric cooker at home before, shouldn't be a problem - just remember to switch off that circuit at the fuse box aka consumer unit before you do anything.

If you've bought a new cooker, it should come with appropriate cable already attached, which you simply reconnect the same way as the old one was connected.

Various helpful links here

It DOESN'T come with a cable. I think this is to get people to use electricians :mad:

I suspect you mean 6 and 10mm , depending how it's run 6mm is 30-32ish amps,from memory 10mm is about 40.
P.S 6mm is fine for most electric cookers ,a triple oven costing thousands might need 10mm.

I rang manufacturer and he said either was ok.

Hmm, that sounds a little dodgy. Are you talking about a fully electric cooker? I have a gas cooker, which only needs electricity for the clock and the ignition, so has a conventional plug to get power, but I'm assuming you're not talking about that.

It DOESN'T come with a cable. I think this is to get people to use electricians :mad:

You can buy a metre of cooker cable (or more if you want to put your cooker at a distance from the socket) from various suppliers - you don't need to show your official electrician's card.

Yes, I do know how to google :p:mad:

In that case, I'll leave you to find a suitable supplier...

If it's just a go to market electric cooker 6mm square twin and earth cable is fine,I'm assuming that's why the makers said either is fine.
Either will be fine, 6 obviously cheaper than 10. 10 will be possibly more awkward to work with (ie bend into shape at the terminals).
It should be clearly marked on the terminals in the cooker. You should also make sure you use earth wire shield, a soft plastic yelly and green tube that goes over the exposed earth wire when you've stripped the cable.

Hmm, that sounds a little dodgy. Are you talking about a fully electric cooker? I have a gas cooker, which only needs electricity for the clock and the ignition, so has a conventional plug to get power, but I'm assuming you're not talking about that.

A twin-cavity (but single oven and top cavity is grill) freestanding cooker (fan operated)

You can buy a metre of cooker cable (or more if you want to put your cooker at a distance from the socket) from various suppliers - you don't need to show your official electrician's card.

Yeah, he said I could go to B&Q or Homebase and get 1-1.5 metre cooker cable.

In that case, I'll leave you to find a suitable supplier...

Oh, I wasn't being narky about knowing how to google, it's just that I don't fully understand. I read somewhere because it's fan operated, it needs this, and if it's a double oven it needs this etc. etc. etc. if you see what I mean, so was getting confused with all the information. :D

PS: I previously had an electric cooker, but it wasn't fan operated and it wasn't a double oven. It was very old and has died. It was connected to a proper cooker socket though, although that's just been moved as apparently it's now illegal to have trunking and socket directly above a cooker

Either will be fine, 6 obviously cheaper than 10. 10 will be possibly more awkward to work with (ie bend into shape at the terminals).
It should be clearly marked on the terminals in the cooker. You should also make sure you use earth wire shield, a soft plastic yelly and green tube that goes over the exposed earth wire when you've stripped the cable.

Will let friend know. Whilst I'm quite happy to change plugs/fuses (which you can no longer do anyway as appliances normally have them already attached), I'm scared of doing a cooker :oops:

A twin-cavity (but single oven and top cavity is grill) freestanding cooker (fan operated)

Yeah, he said I could go to B&Q or Homebase and get 1-1.5 metre cooker cable.

Oh, I wasn't being narky about knowing how to google, it's just that I don't fully understand. I read somewhere because it's fan operated, it needs this, and if it's a double oven it needs this etc. etc. etc. if you see what I mean, so was getting confused with all the information. :D

PS: I previously had an electric cooker, but it wasn't fan operated and it wasn't a double oven. It was very old and has died. It was connected to a proper cooker socket though, although that's just been moved as apparently it's now illegal to have trunking and socket directly above a cooker

I wasn't trying to be narky either, so no worries :)

Glad to hear you've got a friend who can assist if you're unsure, because all joking aside, you need to be confident it's been done right.

Hope you've promised them a proper roast dinner with all the trimmings in return!

It was connected to a proper cooker socket though, although that's just been moved as apparently it's now illegal to have trunking and socket directly above a cooker
Only if it's a new installation not an existing one.In the interests of safety I suggest you check the breaker or fuse for the cooker circuit and see what it's rated at,i.e. it'll say 30 or 32 amp or some such if this is true and in the unlikely event the new cooker draws more it will blow the breaker,fuse so not a risk.Check the info booklet if there is one and it should tell you the maximum current the cooker will.There's also something called diversification of load,which basically means you're unlikely to have everything on the cooker going flat out all the time,so a 6mm cable may be fine even if at full load it draws more than 30amps.

I'm sure that sounds like a load of gobbledygook,bottom line just get a short piece of 6mm cooker cable and wire it up.

Only if it's a new installation not an existing one.In the interests of safety I suggest you check the breaker or fuse for the cooker circuit and see what it's rated at,i.e. it'll say 30 or 32 amp or some such if this is true and in the unlikely event the new cooker draws more it will blow the breaker,fuse so not a risk.Check the info booklet if there is one and it should tell you the maximum current the cooker will.There's also something called diversification of load,which basically means you're unlikely to have everything on the cooker going flat out all the time,so a 6mm cable may be fine even if at full load it draws more than 30amps.

I'm sure that sounds like a load of gobbledygook,bottom line just get a short piece of 6mm cooker cable and wire it up.

Well some electricians recently moved fusebox because EDF needed to install new electricity meter, so they ran a full check. When they installed new cooker socket, I told them I was getting new cooker so they could leave that one disconnected, so I'm assuming...., hmm, probably wrong to assume :hmm:

Anyway, Quality Assurance person is coming to check fusebox work soon, so will ask them, or is it something I can see myself in fusebox?

I wasn't trying to be narky either, so no worries :)

Glad to hear you've got a friend who can assist if you're unsure, because all joking aside, you need to be confident it's been done right.

Hope you've promised them a proper roast dinner with all the trimmings in return!

Nah, he does the cooking. He's an excellent cook as well

Well some electricians recently moved fusebox because EDF needed to install new electricity meter, so they ran a full check. When they installed new cooker socket, I told them I was getting new cooker so they could leave that one disconnected, so I'm assuming...., hmm, probably wrong to assume :hmm:

Anyway, Quality Assurance person is coming to check fusebox work soon, so will ask them, or is it something I can see myself in fusebox?
Yes you can see it yourself written on fuse or breaker.If the breaker /fuse is rated 40amps or more use 10mm rather than six.I have a feeling I'm confusing you with detail.I'd bet my bottom dollar that the maker was right when he said either 6 or 10mm would be fine.

Or anyone that knows anything about electrics or know what the difference between a 6 and 10 amp cable is?

I don't think it has been made adequately clear on the thread that what you are needing is either 6mm² or 10mm² cable, not 6 or 10 amp cable.

The mm² refers to the cross-section of the cable - how thick the wires are. The best thing to do would be to make it very clear to the shop you go to a) what the application is - ie "an electric cooker", and b) the current rating you are after - 30A.

(no offence intended to those who have already provided excellent advice!)

I don't think it has been made adequately clear on the thread that what you are needing is either 6mm² or 10mm² cable, not 6 or 10 amp cable.

The mm² refers to the cross-section of the cable - how thick the wires are. The best thing to do would be to make it very clear to the shop you go to a) what the application is - ie "an electric cooker", and b) the current rating you are after - 30A.

(no offence intended to those who have already provided excellent advice!)

I have seen 6mm cross terminal board mentioned here on page 17

http://www.electrolux-ui.com/2012/892/957330EN.pdf

Yes you can see it yourself written on fuse or breaker.If the breaker /fuse is rated 40amps or more use 10mm rather than six.I have a feeling I'm confusing you with detail.I'd bet my bottom dollar that the maker was right when he said either 6 or 10mm would be fine.

Have to go out now, but will take photo of fusebox later.

Thanks for help everyone

Erm, my advice is not to dabble with electrics if you don't know what you're doing. It isn't difficult but fucking up can be fatal.

existentialist said:
It'd be wise to make sure you get the cable that is rated according to the rating on the fuse/breaker, rather than the cooker. That might be a little overconservative, but the idea is that the fuse should be the weak link in the circuit, not the cable...

And buying a cable that is too big isn't dangerous. Just a cunt to get into the terminals. :D

Back
Top Bottom