Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Antimatter atom trapped for first time

editor

hiraethified
Pretty much mind blowing stuff here:

Antimatter atoms have been trapped for the first time, scientists say.

Researchers at Cern, home of the Large Hadron Collider, have held 38 antihydrogen atoms in place, each for a fraction of a second.

Antihydrogen has been produced before but it was instantly destroyed when it encountered normal matter.

The team, reporting in Nature, says the ability to study such antimatter atoms will allow previously impossible tests of fundamental tenets of physics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11773791

I must read too much sci fi cos I could have sworn they already did this but for less time. Still, containment miechanisms and space exploration here we go!

I've only just now read the details of the experiment, and it's fucking mind-blowing. How many planck lengths of time is 0.2s? That's like an eternity at that scale. Amazing achievement.

Dotty - as it says, they've made anti-particles before, but never a whole anti-atom. Creating something that doesn't exist in our universe. Head breaking! Even more impressive than Bose-Einstein condensate & other superfluids.

I've only just now read the details of the experiment, and it's fucking mind-blowing. How many planck lengths of time is 0.2s? That's like an eternity at that scale. Amazing achievement.

Dotty - as it says, they've made anti-particles before, but never a whole anti-atom. Creating something that doesn't exist in our universe. Head breaking! Even more impressive than Bose-Einstein condensate & other superfluids.

0.2 secs? That's like keeping a cat still for two hours! :eek:

Dotty - as it says, they've made anti-particles before, but never a whole anti-atom.

No. What they are saying is they have made whole anti-atoms before, however, they were destroyed the near-moment they were created.

This is the first time they have been created and held for a considerable amount of time, 0.2seconds.

I hope they get enough anti-hydrogen together to react with some anti-oxygen to make anti-water.

They I hope they brew some beer out of it so I can neck it down in one.

Back
Top Bottom