Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anime & Manga Films

it's intresting

in a lot of ways i prefer the two end episodes of the tv version to the ending as portrayed portrayed in end of eva... which although spectacular did lack a real insite into shinji in the way the tv episodes did

I think they both work well side by side. The TV one is what is happening in the mind (where we really live?) during the final battle. I do prefer the film though. Big Rei, splat splat splat "I know, I know I've let you down" la la la.

yeah i can understand that

it's got stuff like asukas battle which is just the best fight in the whole series really (although the dance fight and some of the other are great) and yes the rise of lilith and the spreading of the anti at feild along to komm suesser todd is just epic

the bit where it starts showing shots of an audiance and the voice actors in a crowd is a little odd.... it doesn't quite have the same impact as the use of live action in the tv series which followed the thematics of the series

but i'd kinda have to watch it all again and it's been a while

Shippou-Chan I've been watching Samurai Champloo, thanks to your recomendation and its fucking amazing. So much better than Afro Samuari.

the thing about afro samurai is that the original idea was really just a drawing, a designer created the image of a character who was half samurai half harlem globetrotter.

the some time later they made some models of the charactor, then an anime guy saw the model and thought it would be cool to do an anime based on it, then some how samuel l jackson heard about it and it sorta grew from there

the problem is that there is practically no substance to it, it seems when ever anime studios team up with american distridutors they seems to go into super-stylism mode. see for example dead leaves, the animatrix and that bit from kill bill intresting animation and you can't fault the production values but there always seems to be something missing

personally i belive it's at least partly to do with a change in story types, rather than being routed in anime afro samurai is more about samurai film clichés it takes a plot which is practically a parody of samurai tales fills it with stock characters and then just adjusts their personality untill they have gone all hip hop

it's presented rather like like baz luhrmann's take on romeo and juliet, the story is unchanged but the tonality is radically diffrent, however instead of having shakespeare to work with you instead have stock chilches from japanese period drama (though think more robin hood than jane austin)

what you end up getting is something that actually feels like a distant cousin of those kung fu blaxploitation films

the thing about afro samurai is that the original idea was really just a drawing, a designer created the image of a character who was half samurai half harlem globetrotter.

the some time later they made some models of the charactor, then an anime guy saw the model and thought it would be cool to do an anime based on it, then some how samuel l jackson heard about it and it sorta grew from there

the problem is that there is practically no substance to it, it seems when ever anime studios team up with american distridutors they seems to go into super-stylism mode. see for example dead leaves, the animatrix and that bit from kill bill intresting animation and you can't fault the production values but there always seems to be something missing

personally i belive it's at least partly to do with a change in story types, rather than being routed in anime afro samurai is more about samurai film clichés it takes a plot which is practically a parody of samurai tales fills it with stock characters and then just adjusts their personality untill they have gone all hip hop

it's presented rather like like baz luhrmann's take on romeo and juliet, the story is unchanged but the tonality is radically diffrent, however instead of having shakespeare to work with you instead have stock chilches from japanese period drama (though think more robin hood than jane austin)

what you end up getting is something that actually feels like a distant cousin of those kung fu blaxploitation films

I didnt like the fact that they had guns, mobile phones and motor bikes in Afro Samurai. Do you know of any other good ones set in Feudal Japan? Have you seen Kai Doh Maru?

kenshin is good for dbing set in a historical setting it includes real life people and events (although not accurately of course)
samurai 7 (an anime version of seven samurai) is a good example of how to adapt a work it stay true to the original yet introduces something of it's own to add to the story. i found it an interesting companion to original (although you don't have to have watched sever samurai to enjoy this film you should commit film seppuku with a shard of a smashed dvd to regain your honour)

can't really think of many samurai type anime, i gues japan has a lot of live action period stuff so anime tends to cover diffrent grounds (this is a compleate guess i'm not that informed on japanese tv apart from anime)

ETA

actualy kenshin is a bit.... i love it but the anime isn't that well crafted it's a fighting show for boys at it heart and although they do have some intresting themes running through the manga the anime becomes fight of the week and it get crammed with filler side stories not in the manga that generally arn't as good ..... also everything after the kyoto arc is filler

if you don't mind shounen stuff then it's a classic, but it's an acquired taste

just go watch all of the zatoichi it epic, the first one is a proper old school samurai film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Zatoichi

the later movies had a slightly diffrent feel lots more of katsu turning into the human blender and going through whole villages of goons
however just watch this sequence,,, the bit with the hallway is just classic

kenshin is good for dbing set in a historical setting it includes real life people and events (although not accurately of course))

My wife loved this manga, she also says the ovas are great but the TV series sucks balls. It's not really for me. Theres always a bigger boss etc etc.

yeah dragon ball syndrome

actually kenshin manages to avoid this by really only have 3 or 4 people who seriously pose a threat throughout the series all the rest basically get their arses handed to them... the dramatic tention in the fights mainly comes from the side fights where diffrent members of the kenshingumi face off with various other bad guys

the whole story is about trying to stop fighting rather than trying to get stronger

in the anime this was the stand out fight for me because it had elements come into play

the manga is better though in a lot of ways

the OVA is intresting with some great animation but it's a slightly diffrent story with a slightly different character kenshin is more empty resigned to fighting whereas the manga kenshin is shown to be kind caring and good with people which makes it more painful for him that the only thing he can do to change the world around him is kill

his rejection of killing sorta balence out the fights a bit but to be honest the series is more about him trying to stop fights then to win them

i finished watching samurai champloo and it was fucking amazing but now i dont know what to watch. tried a few episodes of black lagoon, but couldnt get into it. might watch samurai 7 instead.

Cowboy Bebop should have been watched before Champloo so watch it asap if you haven't already. Otherwise GiTs, Noien, Mushishi, Bacanno!. All good stuffs.

Metropolis was on film4 recently.. really enjoyed it, one of the best anime i've seen. It's loosely based on the original german film.

Trailer:

Same dudes involved as Champloo but with considerably better story.. and characters, though its jazz rather than hip hop.

You've not liked it so far?

better story?

i wouldn't say that personally

also it feels quite disconnected... each episodes is it's own little show particularity when concerned with spike...

it's good but for me champloo worked better as a series

Same dudes involved as Champloo but with considerably better story.. and characters, though its jazz rather than hip hop.

You've not liked it so far?

i did like it and im really interested in the whole beat generation, jack kerouac is one of my favourate writers. i just didnt get into it, not that i didnt like it i just need to give it another go. Champloo just blew me away and i was hooked from the start i really cared about the charactors especially Mugen, the story was strong, it was funny and i almost cried at the end. I liked it even more than breaking bad and breaking bad was fucking amazing.

better story?

i wouldn't say that personally

also it feels quite disconnected... each episodes is it's own little show particularity when concerned with spike...

it's good but for me champloo worked better as a series

pfft, heresy as far as I'm concerned, bebop has no equal! Each character having several back-story episodes leading to a "final" episode for each worked really well!

Eds final episode, on man, I'm welling up just thinking about it!

Plus Spike and the gang where just more interesting characters than moe blob dull samurai and spike mkII.

i did like it and im really interested in the whole beat generation, jack kerouac is one of my favourate writers. i just didnt get into it, not that i didnt like it i just need to give it another go. Champloo just blew me away and i was hooked from the start i really cared about the charactors especially Mugen, the story was strong, it was funny and i almost cried at the end. I liked it even more than breaking bad and breaking bad was fucking amazing.

oh you are going to LOVE cowboy bebop, watch it, quick!

Cowboy Bebop should have been watched before Champloo so watch it asap if you haven't already. Otherwise GiTs, Noien, Mushishi, Bacanno!. All good stuffs.

I got about 7 eps in before I was bored shittless. I did make this sort of parody of the titles for a video though.

I just watched Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic which was quite good. I started watching full metal alchemist the other day but couldnt get into it. Gonna watch First Squad next looks quite good russina wwII with wizards.

anyone seen Detroit Metal City or darker than black? they both look alright.

it soundd intresting

studio 4°C tend to do mostly arty stuff and a lot of intenational colaborations

it tends to be good... but quite a lot of the time they don't feel very anime like

watched 5 episodes of wolf's rain and it was ok didnt really care about any of the charactors though. darker than black was really good liked it alot. i watched 3 episodes of highschool of the dead tonight and that is also really good. yesterday i watched sword of the stranger and that was pretty good not amazing but worth a watch.

Back
Top Bottom