Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Am I just an Old Tight Wanker? Local Cinema

BigMoaner

We will all go together
This was a peak cost of living/inflation moment for me.

was at my local cinema yesterday which is attached to a library. me and the kids go to the library every fortnight. last night they were thirsty so went into the cinema cafe and ordered two of this.

1719311656435.png

for two: £6.20.

can i just do a sense check here...is that disgusting? two cans of fizzy apple.

i just walked away, said sorry i am not paying that.

and then i felt mental, that it's all in my head, and people would pay that without a single care.

i mean every says it, but why they don't try the "price less, sell more" adage.

i guess for every person refusing to buy there are many who still buy. basic economics. the only cinema i can now really afford is peckham plex and the poundland before to smuggle in. i'm out of the game, so places like the cinema above just become little middle class havens. i'd need about £50 for one visit where as £25 would be about my limit for a trip to the cinema.

Back when I was in my mid teens the local Odean ran a goodly while with a £1 admission as opposed to the normal price of, fuck knows but not £1, maybe £5(??)

They were packed then they reverted back to normal price and reverted back to being basically empty night after night

You'd've thoughts they'd review the pricing accordingly, but no

Same with snacks and drink. They seem hell bent on not learning

You can eat your own food on a comfortable sofa at home and watch any film you want on a very large television. Cinema was a communal experience, once, but then so were baths. Time moves on.

back when Virgin cinema opened we used to steal the ashtrays (don't print 'stolen from virgin cinema on the back then dickheads). At the price of the pic n mix this was more than justified, robbing bastards. And you can't smoke anymore, which I know most people will say 'Good' but was the nail for me. Things like Mad Max and the occasional big space film, fine, but I'm not getting fleeced to watch adam sandler shouting.

Tango used to taste twice as nice but now, unless you get the original full fat Tango most of the ones I see in shops have reduced or artificial sugars
It's all in your head.
Tango has always been below the sugar tax threshold.
They always used a combo of sugar and sweetener.
One of the few drinks that didn't change a single thing when the sugar tax came in and didn't have to charge extra.

For the odeons you can take your own stuff in and (I think) most have a cheap day of the week. Odeon West End is £8 on a monday. Streatham Odeon saver tickets are a fiver.

I like filling in the surveys afterwards -
Did you bring your own snacks? Yes
Why didn't you buy our snacks? Too expensive.

was at my local cinema yesterday which is attached to a library. me and the kids go to the library every fortnight. last night they were thirsty so went into the cinema cafe and ordered two of this.

View attachment 430573

and then i felt mental, that it's all in my head, and people would pay that without a single care.
Cawston's though. It's a premium brand along with San Pellegrino.

I go three or four times a week, partly as I can struggle to leave the house otherwise so I’d rather go to the cinema than just use streaming services

I usually bring my own bottle of water and no snacks. If it’s a double or triple bill I tend to bring my own snacks

Occasionally I buy a glass of wine, 175ml is £7.00 or so with members discount, it is the most expensive red though. I don’t usually buy wine out so no idea if that’s a good price or not though.

View attachment 430573

West Norwood? Take a bag and go to Co op first. It is ridiculous.

West Norwood? Take a bag and go to Co op first. It is ridiculous.
yep. i'll never go there for an actual film. after the library the kids and i raided tescos and sat on teh green infront of the church with teh street drinkers.

i just cannot get my head round six quid for two cans of watered down tango. but there we go.

vote with our feet.

For the odeons you can take your own stuff in and (I think) most have a cheap day of the week. Odeon West End is £8 on a monday. Streatham Odeon saver tickets are a fiver.
Cinemas generally have a cheap day/night. Art house one near me is a fiver on a Monday, the other nearby art house one is £6 on a Tuesday, for example. So yeah, some cinemas are expensive but you can get cheap deals if you choose the day etc carefully.

(The only thing I ever really buy at the cinema is maybe a coffee and that's generally pretty much what you'd pay in a cafe.)

yep. i'll never go there for an actual film. after the library the kids and i raided tescos and sat on teh green infront of the church with teh street drinkers.

i just cannot get my head round six quid for two cans of watered down tango. but there we go.

vote with our feet.
Kids Club on Saturday morning is worth it. £3 a ticket (including adults). But otherwise it is expensive!

Back
Top Bottom