Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

alan partridge: alpha pappa

I've always thought that about Alan, that he's very much a social commentary on English life, and thus his appeal could be limited to the British Isles and maybe Canada, Australia and New Zealand. But then I only noticed two British celebrity references in the film, and both of them, Sting and Susan Boyle, have had success abroad, so maybe they're trying to introduce him to those further afield.

And not a single mention of Bill Oddie or Jet.

There was a funny Trisha reference but I take your point. Thankfully there was no contrived references to an international audience which is utterly jarring. I was watching a Brit comedy film with overseas aspirations in which one of the characters in a pub says; "thats the funniest thing I've heard since Seinfeld". Nobody in a British pub has said that ever.

Saw this yesterday and really liked it. It's joke rich in both qualative and quantative terms. There were so many classic Partridge lines and moments in there, you really get your money's worth with it! It never felt like it was dragging, solid laughter the whole way through.

There was a funny Trisha reference but I take your point. Thankfully there was no contrived references to an international audience which is utterly jarring. I was watching a Brit comedy film with overseas aspirations in which one of the characters in a pub says; "thats the funniest thing I've heard since Seinfeld". Nobody in a British pub has said that ever.

I've said that. ;)

Yeah, they have!

Saw this yesterday and really liked it. It's joke rich in both qualative and quantative terms. There were so many classic Partridge lines and moments in there, you really get your money's worth with it! It never felt like it was dragging, solid laughter the whole way through.

^ This. The far fetchedness of the story line was a little offputting initially. It's the every day Alanisms and reactions to him, where the humour mostly lies. And there's plenty of that.

"thats the funniest thing I've heard since Seinfeld". Nobody in a British pub has said that ever.

True to a degree, but I've always thought that Seinfeld never took off over here because of the appalling way the Beeb treated it, shunting it away in the post-Newsnight slot, a mistake they repeated when they got the rights to The Wire.

Anyway, end of digression. I mentioned to my housemate, who claims not to be a Partridge fan, the on-air discussion Alan and Simon had about merging Judaism and Islam and I'm pleased to say he found it funny.

I was surprised by how good it was. The whole audience was laughing about as frequently as you can laugh without sounding insane.
That was odd, cos me and my two companions were not laughing whilst the rest fell about at the crappy slapstick nonsense in the third act. The third act was as funny as a Morecambe & Wise film.
People will laugh at anything. :mad:

That was odd, cos me and my two companions were not laughing whilst the rest fell about at the crappy slapstick nonsense in the third act. The third act was as funny as a Morecambe & Wise film.
People will laugh at anything. :mad:

You and I just have completely different taste in media. We can judge whether or not to bother watching something by whether the other one liked it.

I thought it was okay - nothing special.. I'm abit tired of Alan. Have a sneaking suspicion it might be better on a second viewing.

5/10 - don't waste your money seeing it at the cinema.

Mmm, agree. A few funny bits but pretty so-so overall.

Also had a trailer for the latest Richard Curtis film which looked absolutely awful (so no great surprise there).

I didn't see that trailer, but I saw one of an adaptation of What Maisie Knew, with Coogan being all serious in it. Looked shit and melodramatic

I didn't see that trailer, but I saw one of an adaptation of What Maisie Knew, with Coogan being all serious in it. Looked shit and melodramatic

Sure it can't be any more shit than the Richard Curtis one. :eek: Also has some young actor doing the Hugh Grant role (which I assume they now reckon he's too old for? Or could it be that they've finally realised he's been playing the same role for the last twenty years and have decided it's time for a new face? :hmm: )

Sure it can't be any more shit than the Richard Curtis one. :eek: Also has some young actor doing the Hugh Grant role (which I assume they now reckon he's too old for? Or could it be that they've finally realised he's been playing the same role for the last twenty years and have decided it's time for a new face? :hmm: )
God it looks awful: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/
Not only does it sound like a rip off of The Time Traveller's Wife, it even has Rachel McAdams in it. What was she thinking? Bet it has an Emmental plot too, what with it being about time travel

Back
Top Bottom