Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Air tag notification

You have an Apple phone don't you. The Air Tag is nothing to do with you. Air Tags need a way to phone home to tell the servers (and thus their owners) where they are. They can't use WiFi since there is no guarantee they can access it so they piggy back in the spare bandwidth of any other Apple device within Bluetooth range that has network connectivity such as iPhones, Macbooks or iPads. No-one is stalking you but you might be unwittingly help stalk someone else.

How does that work? Genuine Q, FIL has dementia.
Air Tags contain a GPS locator and Bluetooth sender (range roughly 10m) At regular intervals the Air Tag will check where it is and then look for another nearby Apple device and tell that device to tell Apple 's servers where it (the Tag) is. The servers then pass that location onto the registered owner of the Tag.
The great thing about it is that it doesn't require WouldBe's mum to have an iPhone or indeed any mobile phone at all.
Any person carrying an iPhone nearby acts as a relay station.

Air Tags contain a GPS locator and Bluetooth sender (range roughly 10m) At regular intervals the Air Tag will check where it is and then look for another nearby Apple device and tell that device to tell Apple 's servers where it (the Tag) is. The servers then pass that location onto the registered owner of the Tag.
The great thing about it is that it doesn't require WouldBe's mum to have an iPhone or indeed any mobile phone at all.
Any person carrying an iPhone nearby acts as a relay station.
Cheers Micki ;)

What MQ said. Mum does know it's in there or at least she did. :hmm:
Nice one, thanks for sharing. I've been involved with the Herbert Protocol stuff through work but my wife's been thinking about something for her dad that would be accessible to them> problem is though he's railed against having a phone for years.

I think it’s actually as per my edit, isn’t it?
(I usually have it switched off to conserve battery)
Yes I also think if you disable Find My Device as well it also opts you out of acting as a relay though not sure
But few people will have Bluetooth turned off these days

Back
Top Bottom