Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ageism?

starfish2000

Since moving down south ive been trying to join a band again and as im 42 ive advertised as im looking for over 25s as i think from a cultural/musical perspective it ll be easier?

People reply and all they want to know is my age, not my playing ability! Writing or arranging skills?

I just feel so defeated, its like most people think im a decade younger than i am anyway why is this like pulling teeth..As soon as my age is revealed they seem to vapourise

Maybe try a folk band

band.gif

No but i think whats happening is that 25-35 year old musicians are considering anyone over 35 to be their grandad, which is daft cos i have a wealth of experience and ability.

What kind of music?
Maybe you should try being in a punk rock band rather than advertise for young men to form a boy band with you.

No but i think whats happening is that 25-35 year old musicians are considering anyone over 35 to be their grandad, which is daft cos i have a wealth of experience and ability.

If I was in a band where one member was 25 I certainly wouldn't want to invite someone to join who put "over 25s only" in their ad.

It seems im doing it wrong how do i do it right then? Explain

badman wit oldskool "guitar" seeks mandem 4 dubstep mashups n' tings.

Or preferably go with the aged folk band thing I suggested earlier.

What sort of guitar music are you looking to play anyway? Are you a Steve Hillage or what?

Since moving down south ive been trying to join a band again and as im 42 ive advertised as im looking for over 25s as i think from a cultural/musical perspective it ll be easier?

People reply and all they want to know is my age, not my playing ability! Writing or arranging skills?

I just feel so defeated, its like most people think im a decade younger than i am anyway why is this like pulling teeth..As soon as my age is revealed they seem to vapourise

so you moan about people not wanting to play with a 42 year old but you don't want to play with under 25s and you have the audacity to complain about this?

Go to a blues jam, meet other musicians, suggest to those musicians that it might be fun to get together to not play blues.

Just to add I've had very little success in finding people through ad's. The real world is where it's at.

Go to a blues jam, meet other musicians, suggest to those musicians that it might be fun to get together to not play blues.

Just to add I've had very little success in finding people through ad's. The real world is where it's at.

All of this, plus get along to small gigs, most of the audiences tend to be other musicians and your more likely to meet people into the music you want to make regardless of their age. Just get out and about. Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you want to make?

What other 'isms' do people face when looking to join bands? I imagine that a Chinese Thora Hird type woman wanting to join a boy band like One Direction could face ageism, sexism and racism?

What other 'isms' do people face when looking to join bands? I imagine that a Chinese Thora Hird type woman wanting to join a boy band like One Direction could face ageism, sexism and racism?

I guess an accordion player looking to join a heavy metal band would face instrumentism.

A person with no tongue seeking to join a choir might face tonguism.

Back
Top Bottom