Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Against police brutality - Saturday 11th, Bethnal Green nick

Any photos of the march?

Mine will be up in a few hours.

Incidentally, Michael Preston, an accredited press photographer who had his arm fractured by a baton on April 1st, was whizzing around today getting lots of shots, and in general good cheer. I guess it's now personal for him.

Surprised at how many police turned out today. They were obviously taking no chances.

Yep. Seemed to be increasing in numbers as it got nearer to the city. On the final stretch towards where Ian died, they seemed to back off a bit.

This was just on the london local ITV news, top story - very dignified and solemn

e2a: the press photographer paolo mentions (Michael Preston, i think, not Robert) was interviewed with one of his pics shown - riot police with batons raised about to attack him

I'm so glad it got some media attention. All the images of respectful protesters faced by masses of cops will really serve to highlight the difference between them and us. My biggest concern was that it would be completely ignored by the lying media shitcunts.

It was ~336 when I counted, on Bishopsgate, I expected a bit more.

That makes sense.

When I looked at the approach to Bishopsgate, I was thinking 1000, but I wasn't counting just guessing.

When it clumped up at the final destination, it was definitely in the 'few hundred' range.

(Stacks of media though. At least 5 video units, a sat truck at Bethnal Green, and maybe 30 or more stills photographers. It was a bit of a camera scrum at the final stop, where the flowers were laid.)

Mine will be up in a few hours.

Incidentally, Michael Preston, an accredited press photographer who had his arm fractured by a baton on April 1st, was whizzing around today getting lots of shots, and in general good cheer. I guess it's now personal for him.

Yeah I had a word with him. He said that he never felt in as much danger in years of reporting from the Middle East, as he did from the Police on the 1st April.

I've got a few photos up, but got to go out, so no time tonight to sort out more. Flickr Photostream here

3432311810_d554d768af_b.jpg

Somewhat related...has anyone else had a survey phone call about the Met? About 1pm yesterday afternoon a mate of mine had a call from some woman doing a public mood survey on their behalf. She asked various questions about his attitude and support for the Met given press coverage in the last week.

Nice to see their first priority lies in assessing public perception.:(

thats martin smith from the swops with tomlinsons son .. are they running this yet as they did menezes?
They're acting the same way as they did then, yes. But if you're suggesting swops ran the Menezes campaign, you're wrong.

Had a quick look it's still there at the "water fountain" but the flowers at the point of his death has been removed i suspect by the people in the building that "adjoined " the "pole". I think people will need to be more practive on this front just to remind people that he's not forgotten nor should he be swept away so "easy" as people would like him to be.

The flowers were moved to the fountain on the after the march, by the organisers, from what I was told that evening.

Back
Top Bottom