Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Affordable laptop recommendations: budget £350-£450

Copied from another thread because I'd not seen this one

Which? is recommending good, cheap laptops.

Don’t buy a cheap laptop that has an Intel Atom, Celeron or AMD Athlon from more than four years ago. At this point you’re buying a product that was hardly fast when it was launched, and will feel positively ancient in 2024.

(also says used laptops are good if they have decent processor like Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/why-cheap-laptops-are-better-than-you-think-aUENb3F5Haoj?mi_u=216536047&mi_ecmp=C_WS_EM__20240809

We explain what to expect from budget laptops, and the pros and cons of spending less on a computer

Let me know if anyone wants to know their best buys.

I think the giveaway there is that none of those processor lines have even existed for the past two years, outside of old stock being thrown about. And Intel's replacement for Atom/Celeron (the Intel N-series) is actually pretty decent now, given the right price. AMD is currently capacity constrained and don't even make a proper bottom of the barrel CPU. Even their worst 2024 model is adequate (again, given price).

Anything Intel 12th+ generation is radically more powerful than 11th or lower. Not to say "don't buy", but at the risk of sounding repetitive... There are no bad products, just bad prices.

Acer Aspire 5
Specs: AMD Ryzen 3/5 or Intel i3/i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
Why: Solid performance for web browsing, office tasks, and streaming with a nice display.

I think the giveaway there is that none of those processor lines have even existed for the past two years, outside of old stock being thrown about. And Intel's replacement for Atom/Celeron (the Intel N-series) is actually pretty decent now, given the right price. AMD is currently capacity constrained and don't even make a proper bottom of the barrel CPU. Even their worst 2024 model is adequate (again, given price).

Anything Intel 12th+ generation is radically more powerful than 11th or lower. Not to say "don't buy", but at the risk of sounding repetitive... There are no bad products, just bad prices.

I'd steer clear of Intel 13th and 14th gen processors at the moment, until Intel can show they've fixed the issues at the fabrication level that's caused
the desktop CPU's to break.

I'd steer clear of Intel 13th and 14th gen processors at the moment, until Intel can show they've fixed the issues at the fabrication level that's caused
the desktop CPU's to break.
The laptops are reputed to be safe, except for some of the desktop replacement class ones. Whether that actually proves to be true over time is... Eh.
Problem is that most laptops are Intel. There's not a lot of choice AMD-wise, everything prior to 12th gen sucks, and there's a limited number of those about due to covid constraining supply.

A lot of the lower-end 13/14th gen chips (dual prime core i5 and lower) are in fact just rebadged 12th gen, as well.

Back
Top Bottom