Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Advice on cleaning the insoles of Birkenstocks

kittyP

Pluviophile
It's got to that stage of the summer where the insoles of my Birkenstocks are grubby and make my "squeaky clean from the bath" feet, dirty again when I put them on.

Has anybody got a failsafe, non damaging method for cleaning them?

I think Birkenstock sell something but from memory it's expensive and not great according to reviews.

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Never heard of what you mentioned but don’t do what a friend once did and that was to put them in a wash. 😂

Never heard of what you mentioned but don’t do what a friend once did and that was to put them in a wash. 😂
No no no! I wasn't planning on doing that. :eek:

I have considered sprinkling a layer of bicarb then spraying with a mist of sprit/cleaning vinegar letting it fizz then waiting for it to dry and wiping out what's left with a dry cloth but I'm not sure that wouldn't damage the cork...
It is cork isn't it? :hmm:

No no no! I wasn't planning on doing that. :eek:

I have considered sprinkling a layer of bicarb then spraying with a mist of sprit/cleaning vinegar letting it fizz then waiting for it to dry and wiping out what's left with a dry cloth but I'm not sure that wouldn't damage the cork...
It is cork isn't it? :hmm:

Yup, it’s cork.

I grew up not far from the original Birkenstock factory. 😊

Yes, I’ve done this with several pairs and it works a treat.
They may not come up looking exactly as new but it will make a huge difference. Gives them back that kinda grippy, rough feel.

Eta...I just used an old toothbrush but will get a suede brush for next time
Thank you.
It's good to know someone's tried it and it works. :cool:

Lol, well beyond cleaning over here. I'm determined to somehow get them through the season though.

Attachments

• 16598743771465551125140990205798.jpg
    16598743771465551125140990205798.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 16598744254624228765067102743669.jpg
    16598744254624228765067102743669.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 16598744495028140992445224586113.jpg
    16598744495028140992445224586113.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 21
Having had my Birkies mud-caked and dust-soaked after festivals I’ve always just given them a it of a clap together out the back door, then a brush down with a dry brush and a quick wash with water and some soap, maybe a bit of a scrub with whatever is to hand. Then another sole to sole clap to get excess water off, and propped them up at an angle in a cool dry place to dry. I never knew about any protocol and I’ve never had a problem. Maybe I should rethink my habits.

Having had my Birkies mud-caked and dust-soaked after festivals I’ve always just given them a it of a clap together out the back door, then a brush down with a dry brush and a quick wash with water and some soap, maybe a bit of a scrub with whatever is to hand. Then another sole to sole clap to get excess water off, and propped them up at an angle in a cool dry place to dry. I never knew about any protocol and I’ve never had a problem. Maybe I should rethink my habits.

Its the ingrained sweat and dead skin cells that's the issue more than mud IME.

As above.

I don’t know if I’m missing something or maybe I have disgusting footwear
To me, it’s a great pleasure when my shoes mould around my feet and with Birkenstocks there’s that extra pleasure when the footbed is all glossy ad easy to slide into.

I use washing up liquid and laundry powder for a good scrub, then rinse it all off, let them dry, then roughen the suede with a stainless steel pan scrubber or wire brush

Good as new

PVA brushed on and left to cure will restore the cork. Any deep cracks need it pumped in then clamped, curing time is best as long as possible, 2 days or so.

After decades of having this issue with Birk's and other sandals I've reached a failsafe solution, which is not to get them dirty in the first place.

My method however, does require a steely resolve on the part of the wearer to laugh in the face of the fashionistas, and a self-confidence that probably only comes with considerable age.

Wear socks with them.

People saying they need cleaning, are they sticky or smelly on the inside? Mine are dark but all glossy and smooth and feel lovely to wear. My oldest ones which I wear all the time are close to ready for the bin, and I’ve bought a new pair to replace them but the old ones are so much more comfortable

People saying they need cleaning, are they sticky or smelly on the inside? Mine are dark but all glossy and smooth and feel lovely to wear. My oldest ones which I wear all the time are close to ready for the bin, and I’ve bought a new pair to replace them but the old ones are so much more comfortable

They are not smelly.
If they get in the slightest bit damp they get really sticky and release all their dirt back onto my feet.
If they were just the dark, smooth and shiny they go I would leave them as that's very comfortable as you say.

Back
Top Bottom