Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Advice on Bandcamp

I have no idea about the tools and metering you or the other people involved are using so can't really say.
Why would the usb interface affect anything in the mastering process? Are you running stuff though outboard gear? Are you metering outside of the computer?

outboard is a behringer crave and td3 going thru a 2 track mixer, out to the usb interface. recording audio/midi into reaper. I use a plug in lufs meter in reaper but otherwise just use the onboard meters in the daw. out of the computer back to the mixer for monitoring and main output.
Yeah it won't be the interface. I assume you're comparing the others tracks and yours on the same system. If you can grab a download of one of the others, have you annalised it to see what it's coming in at lufs wise. You probably use this already but the Loudness tool in Reapers extension menu is very handy for this.

When mixing / mastering try using a track in the same genre for reference. If you want to do that in reaper you'd need it on a separate track that isn't effected by anything on the master bus obviously. One way to do that.
Stick all your own tracks in a folder. Use that as your master, stick compression whatever you're gonna use on it's folder.
and have your reference track outside it with no fX on the actual master bus.

Thank you.....ignoring the stuff about folders for a bit I am thinking about the genre, the group focus is ambient/experimental now most of the cats in the group are pure ambient/modern classical, mine is more noise/experimental so a lot busier and more raucous in places, I’m more lo fi punk rock and they are big fans of tech and gear so you might be onto something.....(edit actually I am stilll learning reaper and have not used the loudness tool so I will be checking that out)

I’m more lo fi punk rock
get atomic suplex to master it, you will have zero problems with it being quieter than other songs then. the compilation people won't be able to make it quiet again, whatever they try to do to it.

Last edited:
get atomic suplex to master it, you will have zero problems with it being quieter than other songs then. the compilation people won't be able to make it quiet again, whatever they try to do to it.

thanks for the tip, I should maybe clarify that the punk thing is more in terms of ethos than sound, but I’m pretty sure Mr Suplex has better things to be doing than turd polishing for somebody he doesn’t know. I’m assuming he’s the same person whose name came up on this thread.... Brixton and surrounds musical history thread...artistes, venues, gigs, festivals and more......

thanks for the tip, I should maybe clarify that the punk thing is more in terms of ethos than sound, but I’m pretty sure Mr Suplex has better things to be doing than turd polishing for somebody he doesn’t know. I’m assuming he’s the same person whose name came up on this thread.... Brixton and surrounds musical history thread...artistes, venues, gigs, festivals and more......
My mastering CV is choc full of polished turds. For some reason it's what I am called in to work on more than anything else.
If it's easy and I have a spare moment I will certainly take a look at yours.

I've actually never been directed to work to 'loudness' levels, I assume that's because you have all been told to master your own work for the comp . . . . . thats not how it should be done by the way because the EQ and dynamics (to a lesser extent depending on the track) should all roughly match, (and you can't really do that without all the tracks together)
I can only assume the person in charge has their reasons. It can seem like a small thing, but the whole project can end up sounding cheap if it jumps around from track to track.

My mastering CV is choc full of polished turds. For some reason it's what I am called in to work on more than anything else.
If it's easy and I have a spare moment I will certainly take a look at yours.

I've actually never been directed to work to 'loudness' levels, I assume that's because you have all been told to master your own work for the comp . . . . . thats not how it should be done by the way because the EQ and dynamics (to a lesser extent depending on the track) should all roughly match, (and you can't really do that without all the tracks together)
I can only assume the person in charge has their reasons. It can seem like a small thing, but the whole project can end up sounding cheap if it jumps around from track to track.

thank you for the kind offer, too late for what’s gone out already but there’s another one in progress so maybe in the january I will take you up on it.

Back
Top Bottom