Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Accessing academic articles and books

miss direct

misfungled
I am trying to complete a project, for which I must refer to various books and articles. As I'm not a student at a university, I have no access to any of these things. All the physical libraries are closed or only open to their own students. I really can't afford to pay for each individual article I need to include. I'd appreciate some suggestions!

I am trying to complete a project, for which I must refer to various books and articles. As I'm not a student at a university, I have no access to any of these things. All the physical libraries are closed or only open to their own students. I really can't afford to pay for each individual article I need to include. I'd appreciate some suggestions!
see pm

miss direct further to my pm, a tip i learned from a friend is to email the author of an article and ask for a copy and on the rare occasion i've needed to do this it has always worked. obviously the author won't necessarily be alive! but in the main this will do the trick. they're generally so chuffed anyone wants to read their work they'll get back straight away

Also worth noting that many journals seem to be putting out a few open access papers. So don't assume you'll always need an institutional log in. I've been pleasantly surprised at how many of the papers I've used have been (obviously they should all be, but still...).
when i worked in interlibrary loans i found that ~5% of articles requested were freely available online, and there's loads of books which really shouldn't be downloadable just for a quick google but are (i'm talking about things recently published). always search for what you're after, you may find it or something else you never knew you wanted

oh - returning to books, try the internet archive (archive.org), tons of stuff there and the more outre you're looking for the more likely you are to find it there

If really stuck just Google 'Sci hub' .

It's a website offering access to pretty much any journal article you could want. It is however compiled by people who crack academics' email accounts to get passwords etc. so it's worth thinking about whether you want to be part of that.

Seeing as we've got sci hub out it is worth mentioning lib gen which is basically stuffed with free text books. gen . lib . rus . ec (remove spaces) is blocked by most ISPs but I would recommend using Tor or a VPN to get to the original site rather than looking for proxies as some of the mirrors I've seen look dodgy. And don't bother with the torrents, everything is available for direct download.

Gods but the fees for accessing some of this stuff is obscene. On article I was looking for today, ten pages of a journal that hasn't been in print for ten years, the fuckers wanted £34.00 just for one day's access to the pdf version. I wonder how much of that, had I been daft enough to pay it, would get back to the authors. Pretty sure it'd be exactly zero. Less than zero in fact, as they'll presumably be getting fewer readers, fewer citations and less professional kudos than they'd get if the article were free to access.

I know there's technically a difference between how academic publishing works and outright theft, I just can't remember what that difference is.

If you want a legal alternative to some of the solutions suggested above, install the Open Access Button or Unpaywall extensions in your browser.

The extensions will search a number of different resources to check whether a legal Open Access version of any article has been made available on a publisher website, or in an institutional repository.

Both Wellcome Trust and UKRI are about to mandate that any articles coming from research they fund must be made Open Access through one of a number of routes, meaning that the amount of content available this way is growing by the day. While the publishers still make their money from charging authors to publish, this does at least mean that publically funded research will be freely available without any paywalls.

There is always Academia.edu or ReseachGate.net Lots of academics put their work up there, worth joining and having a nose around. It's also an interesting away around the huge licence fees that database providers charge.

Back
Top Bottom