Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Abraham Cruzvillegas: Empty Lot at the Tate Modern. Meh.

editor

hiraethified
abraham-cruzvillegas-empty-lot-03.jpg

abraham-cruzvillegas-empty-lot-11.jpg

Anyone been to this? I was a bit underwhelmed. It's free and on until April if it's of interest.

Abraham Cruzvillegas: Empty Lot. A bit like watching paint dry. Or weeds grow. Tate Modern, London

I went in November and there wasn't much happening but as Pickman says get involved, chuck some seeds or soil in and come back. It's winter so though they might have watering and lights things probably aren't going to kick off for a while.

I guess it would also help to have an interest in plants and being able to recognise them

I went last year as well. I think it's an interesting basic idea, and the geometry and infrastructure layout is quite eyecatching, but I wasn't sure quite what you were meant to _do_ with it as an observer. Even the closest plants aren't that close and the ones at the end could be anything.

One of the aspects of Turbine Hall exhibitions that I like is that they're generally designed so you can walk around and through, interacting with what's going on to at least the extent of choosing your perspective, exploring. Sometimes I enjoy seeing how people are reacting to whatever it is as much as the exhibit itself. There doesn't seem to be much of that here.

I went in November and there wasn't much happening but as Pickman says get involved, chuck some seeds or soil in and come back. It's winter so though they might have watering and lights things probably aren't going to kick off for a while.

I guess it would also help to have an interest in plants and being able to recognise them
Seems an awfully big waste of electricity too.

Back
Top Bottom