Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Aberllefenni - an entire Welsh village for sale at just £1.25m

editor

hiraethified
Cheaper than some of the shit flats opposite me!

Terrace_of_cottages_at_Aberllefenni._-_geograph.org.uk_-_433609.jpg

The village in Wales was built for workers at a mine near Powys, and was previously owned by Indigo Jones, who bought the village and a nearby slate quarry in the 1960s. There were 16 homes built here, and these are all tenanted out, being sold as a package for people looking to make rental income or increase the value of the sites over time. The backdrop is the stunning Dyfi Forest and Cader Idris mountain range, making it perfect for outdoorsy types.

This whole village is on sale for less than the price of a luxury London flat | Metro News

Aberllefenni is a village in the south of Gwynedd, Wales. It lies in the historic county of Merionethshire/Sir Feirionnydd, in the valley of the Afon Dulas.

It is the location of Foel Grochan, a slate quarry which together with Hen Chwarel and Ceunant Ddu formed the Aberllefenni Slate Quarry, which extracted rock from mediaeval times until the beginning of the 21st Century.

The Roman road between northern and southern Roman Wales, Sarn Helen, probably ran through the village; the terrace of houses known as Pensarn (head of the causeway) may be a reference to it.

Plas Aberllefenni (also known as "Y Plas") was a mediaeval manor house, but the older section was demolished in the 1960s and only a later wing is still standing.

The quarry reservoir, Llyn Cob, was once known as Llyn Owain Lawgoch, after the last male survivor of the princely house of the Kingdom of Gwynedd.

The quarry tips appear in the No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded video when Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, formerly of Led Zeppelin, performed there with their band in August 1994.

The village is the site of a field study site for secondary school pupils.

Aberllefenni was the terminus of the narrow gauge Corris Railway, which carried slate from the quarries for transshipment at Machynlleth. Aberllefenni Station (now demolished) was used as the basis for Glennock Station on the fictional Skarloey Railway and can be seen illustrated in the book Four Little Engines.

*hits crowdfunding sites

edit... fuck that I`m going to Radical Roots... I`m sure the Tridos bank could sort this out.

Last edited:
"Indigo Jones" :rolleyes:

Edit: Thought this was some company using a trendy twist on "Inigo Jones", turned out to be a bona fide old slate works. My bad.

Last edited:
It is referencing the river (Welsh:Afon) Gafenni .

aber confluence of water bodies or mouth
'outpouring' of water
afon river
allt hillside, wood
bach little
bedd grave
betws chapel, oratory
blaen, blaenau source(s) of stream, upland
bryn hill
bwlch gap in hills, pass
cae field, enclosure
caer fort, stronghold
capel chapel
carn, carnedd cairn (a heap of stones)
cas, castell castle
cefn ridge
cei quay
cil corner, nook, recess
clog, clogwyn steep cliff
coed forest, wood
cors bog
croes cross, crossroads
crug hillock
cwm valley
cymer confluence
din hill fort
dinas city
dol meadow
dwfr, dŵr water
dyffryn valley
eglwys church
erw acre
ffin boundary
ffordd road
ffos ditch, dike
ffridd mountain pasture
ffynnon spring
garth enclosure, garden, ridge
glan bank of river or lake
glyn deep valley
gwaun moorland
hafod summer farmstead
hafn ravine
hendre winter farmstead
llan parish, parish church
llannerch clearing
llech covert, slate
llyn lake
maen stone
mawr big
melin mill
merthyr martyrium
moel bare hill
môr sea
morfa marsh
mynydd mountain, moorland
nant brook, small valley
newydd new
ogof cave
pandy fulling mill
pant hollow, valley
parc park, field
pen head, end
penrhyn promontory
pentre homestead, village
pistyll waterfall
plas hall, mansion
pont bridge
porth harbour, gateway
pwll pool
rhaeadr waterfall
rhiw hill, slope
rhos moor, promontory
rhyd ford
sarn causeway
sir county, shire
stryd street
tafarn inn, tavern
ton lea
traeth beach
tref village, town
tŷ house
y, yr, 'r the
ynys island, river-meadow
ysbyty hospital
ysgol school
ystrad valley (floor)
Now I know Abergavenny is "the mouth of the river Gafenni" then i guess that Aberllefenni would be " room/space or slate of the river Gafenni " .

:/​

Back
Top Bottom