Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Abandoned Victorian mansions, Windsor Walk, Denmark Hill SE5 - any info?

About the station, from Crispy's link:

The main construction work is scheduled to begin in early 2011 and planned to be completed in summer 2012. Train services should be largely unaffected for the duration of the construction work, however Network Rail will be working closely with Southeastern to keep any disruption for passengers and line-side neighbours to a minimum.
So I guess the work is underway and will, presumably, be complete for the opening of the ELL Phase 2?

Caught a train here the other day and work is indeed underway. Trees being cut down and rubble being shifted around.

That's good news.

It's a shame the ELL comes at a bit of a price:
Denmark Hill is served by rail services on the Inner South London Line. This line will be closed in 2012 and incorporated into the new East London Line extension on the London Overground network between Queens Road Peckham and Clapham Junction.[5] Services to London Bridge will therefore be withdrawn and the frequency of London Victoria services will be reduced from 4 per hour to 2. Passengers for London Bridge would then have to change at Peckham Rye or Queens Road Peckham or change at Clapham High Street for nearby Clapham North station on London Underground's Northern Line, which is within walking distance, to travel to London Bridge via the Bank branch of the line, or passengers can stay on the line and change at Canada Water for Jubilee Line services to London Bridge, though passengers will double back on themselves slightily. There is considerable local opposition to this plan and a demonstration at the station on 26 June 2009 was attended by Val Shawcross, Tessa Jowell MP, Harriet Harman MP and other local politicians from all parties. The London Overground extension project was given the go ahead in February 2009 to be completed by late 2012. However, the extension will make this are considerably more accessible to those from South West, East and North East London.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_Hill_railway_station

Yep, pretty shitty. Could be getting more thameslink trains in the future, though.

Here's some pix. Number 16 was the squatted one. All around the back is fenced off with weak fencing. The last two photos are the other terrace down the road, I think that might be no.'s 5 to 9; thats current undergoing redevelopment, with facade retention at least anyway, if not interiors.

23062011624.jpg

23062011625.jpg

23062011628.jpg

23062011630.jpg

23062011632.jpg

To be fair (and not because I condone the wastefulness of such beautiful buildings) by this time there probably isn't a lot more that can be done other than keeping the facades of the buildings. Years of neglect take their toll on buildings, starting with damp and mould before ending with rotten floors and roof joists, wet and dry rot and falling masonry. Bet the facades are listed though, else they wouldn't be kept.

Keeping the buldings empty perversely hastens the end.

Hi, I'm a film student doing some research into derelict buildings. I've read through this thread and forgive me if I missed anything, but does anyone know who actually owns the derelict buildings? Not the ones being currently renovated but the empty ones? I'm trying to work out who to speak to about getting permission to film in them.

Any help you guys could give me would be great!

Hi, I'm a film student doing some research into derelict buildings. I've read through this thread and forgive me if I missed anything, but does anyone know who actually owns the derelict buildings? Not the ones being currently renovated but the empty ones? I'm trying to work out who to speak to about getting permission to film in them.

No idea. Maybe KCH?

Post #38 has the contact details of the security firm in it. Could be a starting point.

Just noticed this thread. I've been following the sad neglect of these buildings for some years. I was in regular contact with SLAM throughout the 2000s. In 2009 I received the following email from SLAM:

I can tell you that the properties nearer the station on Windsor Walk were sold by our Trustees last year, to the Fetal Medicine Foundation, who are in discussions with local planning authorities about redeveloping the site, so I am afraid that I am no longer in a position ot answer questions about their future - they should be directed to that charity.

I have written to FMF to find out what they are planning for the properties and await a reply. If anyone has an update on the planned redevelopment of the properties it would be good to know. They have now been empty for over 13 years I think.

i have the land registry and title details going back quite a few years, in fact right back to early 1900's, up till today... i find it entertaining that the security are still using our makeshift front gate still, that was such a quick bodge job, No 16 was a pleasure to live in the house looked after us well, and will not be forgotten for those good times...

ours was number 16, the last in the block from the station and before the new build... the first is 20 so its 16-20 windsor walk..

The ones at the end have not been touched. The ones further down have all been done up and at least look quite nice from the outside now.

I have just received this reply to an email from the fetal medicine centre about the refurbishment of the buildings with the attached picture:

Thank you for your email regarding your concerns for the property in Windsor Walk. We finally after two and a half years managed to received a planning approval to build a medical Centre, we anticipate starting the works in September 2012. The project will take one and half years to complete, please find attached a picture showing the projected look of the building. We will keep the facet of the buildings on Windsor Walk and have the entrance of the new Centre on the site in line with the road coming from the station.

Attachments

• r4_img_01.jpg
    r4_img_01.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, that's the back isn't it. The facade along Windsor Walk will remain the same.

Back
Top Bottom