Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A walk around Canvey Island - the good and the ugly

editor

hiraethified
Some photos from my visit to Canvey Island on the weekend...

canvey-island-photos-02.jpg

canvey-island-photos-15.jpg

canvey-island-photos-20.jpg

canvey-island-photos-32.jpg

canvey-island-photos-40.jpg

canvey-island-photos-44.jpg

canvey-island-photos-50.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/canvey-...ach-a-dr-feelgood-bench-sea-views-and-racism/

I enjoyed that. Around about 1979 /1980 when I was 6 or 7 we got the ferry from Cork to Pembroke and drove to Canvey Island for a fortnights holiday in the big caravan park there. Thinking back it was fucking awful but I thought it was beyond exotic at the time.

:) at canvey

and :hmm: at some of the graffiti

Canvey is also home to quite a nice transport museum, housed in a former 1930s bus depot

7252125990_867d3d9629_c.jpg

their major event of the year is this coming sunday (12 Oct) - parking at the labworth / sea front car park, buses every few minutes to the museum

(not sure this coming weekend will be an 'open top' weekend though)

My best friend grew up on Canvey, and lives there now. Half-Malaysian, she was one of the only non-white children at her school (possibly even the only, but I honestly can't remember if that's what she said).

She's far from delicate, one of the toughest people I know, but it still really saddens me that she might see something like that in a place she calls home :(

Can still be a nice place to visit though :) There's a flame that seems to be constantly burning from one of those factories in the distance, always makes me think of Blade Runner :oops: :D

My best friend grew up on Canvey, and lives there now. Half-Malaysian, she was one of the only non-white children at her school (possibly even the only, but I honestly can't remember if that's what she said).

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Going to school in Southend in the 70s/early 80s, there were very few non-whites. I reckon in my school of 500, in my year, I think there was one black girl (and she was from France), one Vietnamese girl (who was a refugee), and half a dozen Asians.

Back
Top Bottom