Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread devoted to Real Ales in Wales

It's the Pilot, now been fully open for a while, and with outstanding beer choices, consistently.

As for the micro, plans seemed to be progressing nicely the last time I heard, but we're unsure how long Rob will take to get everything set up.

Watch this space though!
cheers,will check that out next time I get down there

Good man, let me know when you're heading down ... :)

Just a little prompt for ya, and an advertising-bump! :D

Beer and Cider lists for the Swansea Bay Beer and Cider Festival, 2013, now released :)

Cracking lists if I may say so ... and never released so early either.

That's to do with our fest being unavoidably moved back from its usual August Bank Holiday w/e dates, to the weekend after Easter -- Thursday 4th to Saturday 6th April 2013.

(Most likely a oneoff this -- we're near certain to be reverting to August again in 2014).

Oh yes, and we've managed to attract one of Cardiff's finest to play for us on the Thursday evening -- Cakehole Presley :cool:

We went to the Pilot again today (walked it too -- almost five mostly seafront miles from our bit of Swansea to Mumbles)

Beers were cracking especially the Gower Brewery choices :cool:

Landlord told us that the brewery equipment for the incipient micro in the Pilot is due to be delivered early this coming week. Rob (the brewer) wasn't around today, but apparantly, landlord said, he hopes to have new beers on tap by 'early April'. Even a suggestion that we might have sample cask available for our beer festival (see above).

I'm still slightly sceptical that it will happen quite as promptly as that, but all looking positive generally :) :cool:

Oh yes ... several weeks ago, The Pilot won Swansea CAMRA pub of the year 2013, on a landslide .... and that was well before the new microbrewery happens ...

Neath/Port Talbot branch POTY was, as ever, the excellent Ancient Briton.

Beer and Cider lists for the Swansea Bay Beer and Cider Festival, 2013, now released :)

Cracking lists if I may say so ... and never released so early either.

That's to do with our fest being unavoidably moved back from its usual August Bank Holiday w/e dates, to the weekend after Easter -- Thursday 4th to Saturday 6th April 2013.

(Most likely a oneoff this -- we're near certain to be reverting to August again in 2014).

Oh yes, and we've managed to attract one of Cardiff's finest to play for us on the Thursday evening -- Cakehole Presley :cool:

Cakehole Presley has now cancelled I'm afraid. Shame because they're an exellent band but I hear of some troubles ... :(

We've replaced them with a genuinely superb band from Neath/Swansea -- the Brothel Creepers. Cracking Rock n Roll (Chuck Berry and suchlike) they got everyone going at the beerfest here last year :)

We're well lucky they were available at such short notice. Only two weeks now until our first day!

In the 80s the Pilot was the last pub on the Mumbles Mile, it was always messy in there on a Saturday night :D now the students seem to have left Mumbles, I'm guessing it is alright in there now - especially with ale on tap.

That looks cool, be interesting to see which brewery brings that beer out, we'll keep an eye.

Definitely finding that Fire Island is getting very mixed reactions, can see why as well.

We were lucky enough to pick up their loyalty-discount cards though, that take £1= off the pint on each visit, however rarely you go. So that sweetens the iffy decor pill -- and the beer choice is good after all.

William of Walworth said:
Beer and Cider lists for the Swansea Bay Beer and Cider Festival, 2013, now released

Festival opens 5 pm tomorrow (Thursday 4th April) and continues until Saturday.

We were very busy sitting up Monday and especially yesterday, when all the beer and cider were delivered. Use the link above to check the lists -- they choice is better and more varied this year (IMO) than ever before :cool: :)
(Not quite so much to do today -- I don't need to go down until a bit later).

Wales's second biggest beer festival! And a rare chance in Swansea to sample a properly quality choice of beer :)

Ahh sorry man. We were so supremely busy all last week, before, during (especially!) and for takedown after, that I was hardly at home at all, and almost never on here.

Then, when I was (on Monday), it was all about Thatchdeath, so I've only just seen your post :oops:

For a historical view of the ciders we had, and so many sold out very quickly!!, see this list

Damned good mix of Welsh and nonWelsh scrumps there I'd say :cool:

Should report as well that this year's Swansea Bay Beer and Cider Fest was the most successful since it was moved to the Brangwyn Hall back in 2007.

All but a tiny amount of beer/cider sold out, numbers attending were very healthy on all three days.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :)

top 20 Wales pubs from poll on Walesonline
sure there'll be some arguments!

1. The Coach (Bridgend)
2. The Bush (St Hilary, Glamorgan)
3. Y Mochyn Du (Cardiff)
4. The Conway (Pontcanna, Cardiff)
5. The Boar’s Head (Pontyclun, RCT)
6. Bunch of Grapes (Pontypridd, RCT)
7. Plough and Harrow (Monknash, Glamorgan)
8. The Sun Inn (Llangollen, Denbighshire)
9. City Arms (Cardiff)
10. The Lansdowne (Cardiff)
11. Blue Anchor (Aberthaw, Glamorgan)
12. Butchers Arms (Llandaff, Cardiff)
13. The Albany (Roath, Cardiff)
14. The Ship Inn (Tresaith, Ceredigion)
15. Ship and Castle (Aberystwyth, Ceredigion)
16. Black Boy Inn (Caernarfon, Gwynedd)
17. The Greyhound (Llanrhidian, Gower)
18. Goat Major (Cardiff)
19. Otley Arms (Treforest, RCT)
20. The Ancient Briton (Penycae, Powys)
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/20-best-pubs-wales-2013-4008538

In order of merit terms, the Ancient (no 20) surely deserves to be higher up than that

But there's loads on that list I've not made it to, tbf.

hope so, think stuff planned at some point elsewhere so :hmm:
totally missed it was this Thurs :facepalm:

just noticed i've actually got a folded up flyer for it on my desk in front of me :oops: blydi el!

We went to Gwaelod Y Garth yesterday for a fantastic lunch at the Gwaelod Inn. They've also got their own micro brewery, my other half said their Zig Zag was pretty good.

We might get down briefly at the weekend, on holiday the following week so not really got the time or funds to do it properly :-(

Now looks like we'll be catching the 11:28 from Swansea tomorrow morning (Friday 7th) to head to the Great Welsh BF. There from around 12:30 onwards, then! :D :eek:

Tiny Rebel swept the board in the best beers of the festival awards on Friday. Gold, silver and bronze! :eek:

I wondered 'stitch up?'. But OK I was pissed. Theirs are great beers, but surely others there could have competed more .... :hmm:

One thing that struck me this time at the GWBF, was that there was a far higher proportion of Welsh beers (and ciders) than in previous years. A lot of them are excellent so no real complaints, but at Swansea we tend to balance a mix of Welsh and non Welsh beers, giving people opportunities to taste things they'll rarely see in Swansea/South Wales. I prefer our approach, but I can see the other argument too , after all some of those new Weslsh brewers are very micro, needing the exposure/encouragement, and themselves producing very hard to find stuff themselves.

So in other words I have mixed feelings ... :confused:

Saturday was so warm and nice that we didn't go back to the Fest despite our intention to. We went to Taffs Well to the Gwaelod-Y-Garth instead to take advantage of the sunshine and views up there. We also walked down to Fagins :)

Tomorrow eve (Tuesday) we're on a coach to the Otley Brewery :cool:

Friday to Sunday we'll be at the Gower Folk Festival, now held back in its original home, the Greyhound Inn in Oldwalls (home for the last few months of the excellent Gower Brewery, guess why we decided to go this year :D ). Weather looking distinctly dodgy for this w/e :( , but we'll take the hit at a small festival in return for a drier Glastonbury ... :eek:

Otley Brewery coach got cancelled (transport company let us down! :mad: ) and conditions on the Gower for Friday and Sunday (Saturday slightly better probably) look 'fresh and lively' to say the least :(

</needs pint :( >

Back
Top Bottom