Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A service? How much?!

kropotkin

libcom
Hi all.
I bought a 2 year old hybrid Kia Sorento for my 4-kid family. It's coming up to needing its first service.
I bought it from a kia-approved place so it was sold as new, with a reset 7 year warranty. It seems like I should get it services at a Kia garage, but I don't know anything about cars.

I called one today to book in and it's £470! I'm used to shite cars that cost about £150, but is this normal?

My questions are
1. Is there a benefit in getting it serviced by a dealership Kia garage?
2. Do I lose out on something important if I don't?
3. What would you expect to pay for something like this on a fairly new car?

Thanks for any wisdom you want to send my way

What does your warranty say? Sometimes it might say it needs to be a Kia dealership, other times just a qualified mechanic etc..

I get my car serviced at my local garage and it's nowhere near that price!
1) probably not
2) as ice says check the warranty just in case
3) local VW dealer price list to give you an idea but I'm in Scotland

You can usually go to an approved garage that use Kia parts but definitely check or they won’t honour the warranty.

I use the dealer now as once my garage ordered a Peugeot service pack, didn’t check it was the right one and I got a ridiculous bill for parts and labour that I couldn’t and wouldn’t pay.

Current car has service included so can’t remember how much I paid but that sounds steep.

I paid £254 at a local garage for my Audi A6 in March I dread to think what it would cost at a main dealer

If you can afford the extra £200, I’d go for the Main Dealer, particularly as the car is quite young. I don’t think it really matters, in terms of the service you’ll get, but it looks good on the service history, for people like me who don’t know anything about cars, when buying one.

Service at ‘official’ manufacturer garages are undoubtedly far more expensive than most independents. It might be worth to check in depth what is and isn’t covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, and how well the brand rates on the reliability tables.

I mean, if it’s only those parts and systems that historically are extremely unlikely to break down that are covered by the warranty, then it makes sense to find a cheaper independent garage that saves you £150- £200 per annual service. And in the unlikely case something went wrong with the car during the warranty period, if you’d been saving a couple of hundred on service costs for the last five or six years, it’d probably cover most of the cost of the repair. Worth a punt unless you’re planning to sell the car during its warranty period imo.

That seems a bit steep unless it’s for a ‘big’ service, like the 50,000 mile one.

I pay less than for my mid life crisis mobile from a BMW main dealer. A garage so posh they have carpet on the floor. And it’s a BMW so I’m obviously paying the wanker uplift.

My last service was just under £200. Though the one next year is the ‘big’ one and will be more.

Last edited:
Speaking about ordinary bog standard daily drivers I would never go to a main dealer for work to be done and not just because of cost but also because I don't trust them. Your life and that of your family and others could depend on the work they do or not. It is important though to make sure you get the work done by someone that will not invalidate your warranty.
Warranties; I suspect a dealer will try to wriggle out of their responsibility in respect of the warranty by way of small print and bullshit.
On a side note, I have reached an impasse as the mechanic who I trusted and have used for many years has now given up working. I am at a point of looking for someone else I can trust etc. And it's pretty stressful when it comes to that old, rare much loved classic.

470 quid sounds a bit toppy. Our hybrid X5 has to get serviced by BMW to maintain it's warranty status and that is about $470 (250 quid) per year. Kia have to make back the money they lose on a 7 year warranty somehow...

It's also worth standing over them while they do the fluid/filter changes otherwise they probably won't bother and will charge you for them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom