Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A new thread for Louis Armstrong

I heard this on Radio 4 when I was driving earlier in the year. Good little radio doc about his time and influence in the UK:

yeah the bbc have had a ton of Louis Armstrong radio shows this year - mustve been some kind of anniversary

I always thought it was Lou-Eee but most everyone on the docs said Lou-Iss

He was a freemason I found out just this week

I always thought it was Lou-Eee but most everyone on the docs said Lou-Iss
He pronounced Louis with the s. You can hear him do it in Hello Dolly.

He wrote somewhere (I’ll try to remember where). “White folks call me Louie. My mother called me Louis”. He seems to have accepted Louie as a nickname (a shortened form of Louis with the S), although people who knew him personally called him Pops.

“What A Wonderful World” is my favourite record of all time, and about the only one I know of that’s perfect. There's literally nothing you could do to it that could make it better. I finish every single DJ set I ever do with it.

It was made even more poignant for me when I found out after my Grandfathers death that it was his favourite too. I never knew.

“What A Wonderful World” is my favourite record of all time, and about the only one I know of that’s perfect. There's literally nothing you could do to it that could make it better. I finish every single DJ set I ever do with it.

It was made even more poignant for me when I found out after my Grandfathers death that it was his favourite too. I never knew.
It’s a very late period classic. He possibly couldn’t play the trumpet that day due to his health, but when you get to the end and realise he hasn’t played trumpet you still don’t feel it’s missing anything. He conveys all the feeling needed with the timbre of his voice.

I must have posted this a 100 times but: Louis' first recorded trumpet solo, when he was 2nd cornet in king Oliver's band.... already an instantly-recognisable tone and style

Louis’ solo comes in around 1:53. He was charged with the C strain of the piece, but it absolutely makes the record. He was apparently put at the back of the room, too, because there was only one “microphone” (actually a horn) and he was far louder and clearer than not just his mentor, King Oliver, but the rest of the band put together.

I've grown to be able to appreciate his later stuff but the 1920s recordings are so absolutely perfect that I still can't really look beyond them
The Hot 5s and 7s are must-have recordings for anyone interested in 20th century music. Utter genius milestone stuff.

But his mature All Star recordings are wonderful. He’s in his 50s, his voice is deeper, he’s pared back his trumpet playing to be more economical than in his 20s, but he does it with such a masterful understanding of the form that you don’t feel short changed, and of course the recording technology is so much better. Well, the classic 1947 Symphony Hall recording is pretty ropey sound quality wise (though of course his “come back” rebirth masterpiece), but the studio stuff is clear as a bell.

I love his socks-rolled-down style on the cover of the Ella and Louis LP...

Ellaandlouis.jpg

...I can't explain why, it's just such a lovely, idiosyncratic detail (it was clearly a hot day in the studio)

Back
Top Bottom