Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"A mind blowing novel for a 12 year old girl" - recommendations?

51880FGWlOL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

How about recent books? The kids I know are terribly contemporary and are not really that attracted to older books.

How about recent books? The kids I know are terribly contemporary and are not really that attracted to older books.

Sophie's World is 1992 or so, which might be the best we can do. My 13 year old daughter was 12 until very recently and she only reads crap. Nothing mind-blowing about Malorie Blackman.

Have they actually tried any?

ETA When I was that age, I was reading books from quite a while ago and loved the old fashioned stuff in them.

noughts and crosses might at least make them think

I suppose if you were suddenly made responsible for broadening the mind of a very thick and unthinkingly racist 12 year old then it would be helpful. I was imagining a charming red-headed OU niece, though.

ETA When I was that age, I was reading books from quite a while ago and loved the old fashioned stuff in them.
it depends on the background of the child, but i have found that urban working class kids do not in general identify with a lot of old kids' fiction cos it is not written for them. i loved swallows and amazons but only cos i identified with the kids - they were like how i imagined my parents were when i was younger.

Back
Top Bottom