Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A little break from Sheffield

miss direct

misfungled
I am going a bit nuts in the room of my shared house and I'd like to get away for a day or two once I'm allowed (can't quite work out whether that's April or May). Does anyone have any suggestions of somewhere I can get to without a car, preferably just one train or coach? Somewhere nice to potter around on my own and with B&Bs? Seaside would be good. I haven't seen the sea since I left Istanbul. I don't know this part of the UK at all.

Sheffield's not great for seaside, I'd say your best bet would be somewhere in the peak district if you like countryside. Or like Leeds/Notts/Manchester all have their charms if you're looking for cities. Or maybe Chesterfield or Wakefield for smallish towns you could visit?

Is Scarborough nice, or run-down?

I've been thinking about York.

Peak District is out as I am right on the edge of it and can get there easily enough on my bike or the bus for a day trip.

Is Scarborough nice, or run-down?

I've been thinking about York.

Peak District is out as I am right on the edge of it and can get there easily enough on my bike or the bus for a day trip.
Filey is on the coast and a couple of hours by train. Cleethorpes again on the coast and 1h40m by train. It also boasts a very fine Indian, o/s Cleethorpes library on the front. Also numerous fine fish restaurants

Someone else mentioned Filey. Looks nice and single tickets from £11. Doesn't seem to be any cheaper B&Bs there but perhaps I could stay in York and visit Filey from there.

Matlock looks good too!

Someone else mentioned Filey. Looks nice and single tickets from £11. Doesn't seem to be any cheaper B&Bs there but perhaps I could stay in York and visit Filey from there.

Matlock looks good too!
Whitby is good, whaling, castle, fish n chips. For little fishing villages Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes, and my favourite is Runswick Bay. Good coast path too. Filey is okay. Flamborough has big cliffs and puffins. Would recommend any of those on the Yorkshire Coast, especially if you like walking and old pubs.

Jung said Liverpool is the pool of life and you can combine it with a side trip to see the red squirrels and the Gormley statues on the beach at Formby. About two hours on the train with tickets starting at around £9.00 one way

You can get a train to Edale, or indeed a bus, from the 29th , it aint the seaside but it is also very not a big city and has some lovely vistas.

Cleethorpes is, I think, the only direct train, And while it certainly isn't as grand as Whitby or even Scarborough it has a definite charm. Plus Whitby will be absolutely rammed as soon as anyone is allowed to go there.

(actually, you can go direct to Bridlington too, which is rather nicer than Cleethorpes.)

Whitby is good, whaling, castle, fish n chips. For little fishing villages Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes, and my favourite is Runswick Bay. Good coast path too. Filey is okay. Flamborough has big cliffs and puffins. Would recommend any of those on the Yorkshire Coast, especially if you like walking and old pubs.
I would agree in general, but for a day trip maybe not as they would be at least two and a half hours each way. A fair bit of that is a nice journey though.

Another vote for Whitby...

I'm pretty sure you can go on holiday from Monday 12th of April.

North Norfolk is pretty cool, in a big skies, not a lot else way. Kings Lynn is an interesting, proper town, Heacham has very little - couple of pubs and a few shops, and Hunstanton is an old fashioned seaside town. Fantastic countryside all around.

The hotspots - Whitby, York etc... Could be rammed. It's the Easter holidays, and folk are desperate. North Norfolk never seems to get busy.

Ordinarily I'd say being in Sheffield you're on the Yorkshire Coast Line to Bridlington, Filey, and Scarborough - a route I do regularly (or did before the pandemic) since moving up here. Scarborough is I suppose the 'nicer' resort, although I've always had a thing for Brid myself. At the moment, however, due to the fall in passenger numbers during lockdown, I don't think there are any direct trains running and so you'd have to change at Hull (which despite 'popular belief' by dicks who have never been there, isn't bad at all, however, very little is going to be open), and more pertinently it's going to add quite a bit to the journey (2.30 each way?). Whitby is certainly the loveliest of the lot, but via York isn't going to be very quick either.

Yeah, we're back on the 19th - I think there are some areas in that go back on the 12th, but I'd expect it to be busy that week.

I would agree in general, but for a day trip maybe not as they would be at least two and a half hours each way. A fair bit of that is a nice journey though.
Oh sorry thought B&B was mentioned! Yes too far for a day!

Whitby is smashing, but gets rammed very quickly, especially the "old town" on the south side. Social distancing would be impossible in Church St and the Market Place.
I haven't been to Scarborough, Brid or Filey for far longer, several years, in fact ...

My more recent East coastal experiences have been Northumberland (but that's mostly crap by rail, unless you try Whitley Bay - don't laugh)

Cumbria, on the other hand coast is [or should be] quite well served by rail, although Workington / Whitehaven are not tourist traps and still have "lack of industry" syndrome. I've not been to either for over a year, but used to visit Whitehaven more than twice a month ...
Further south, places like St Bees and Ravenglass (but before Barrow) are quite well worth a trip if you want some walking and so on. Although, I expect poor Ravenglass - a small village - to get quite busy. Getting accommodation in some areas may be difficult, as the area is dominated by the needs of visitors to & staff from the plant at Windscale.

(you also get to Silverdale via Carnforth, which is the station they filmed Brief Encounter at - the cafe is all done up like the Brief Encounter cafe and does very nice chips, and they have a tiny cinema showing the film on a loop in the gift shop)

York's a lovely place to wander round, city walls, lovely little streets, loads of history. Seem to remember a mock-up of middle ages street with authentic smells but that was 30 years ago and may even have been another city :(

Did enjoy it though.

Whitby is great, it is also not easy to get to from Sheffield without a car. Tbh in general I think people drive to go out to the coast, since the rail links aren't great. Scarborough is doable but er... Well actually it's not that bad. Will get a you a sea fix. Not been Cleethorpes.

Could also look at the lake district... And the more northerly bits of Yorkshire like Harrogate etc. Not as much water though.

Back
Top Bottom