Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2024/2025/2026 FA Cup

It's Holland's and Blair v Fisher, if anyone fancies a hop involving a local team.

I hear strong rumours a couple of Fisher lads are on the radar at much higher clubs. You may also get to see the next ex Fisher player Hamlet miss out on...

Can someone change the name of this thread to 2025/2026 FA Cup? Every time I see a new post in this one I’m half convinced that someone at the FA has discovered a cockup somewhere & the Hamlet have been reinstated!

Reactions: EDC
Belated video highlights of the 2 Leatherhead games. Their goalscorer is clearly about 5 yards offside for their second goal at Champion Hill, as the ball is launched directly to him from a goal kick. No wonder he ended up with a clear run at goal. How on earth did the linesman miss that? Some officials might also have penalised their forward who climbs all over SBJ without winning the ball on their equaliser.

Belated video highlights of the 2 Leatherhead games. Their goalscorer is clearly about 5 yards offside for their second goal at Champion Hill, as the ball is launched directly to him from a goal kick. No wonder he ended up with a clear run at goal. How on earth did the linesman miss that? Some officials might also have penalised their forward who climbs all over SBJ without winning the ball on their equaliser.

You can’t be offside from a goal kick, same as a throw-in or a corner.

So just poor judgment from Chambers, unfortunately.

I never realised that. Has this always been the case, or is it one of the endless recent alterations to the offside law? I'm surprised attackers don't seem to make greater use of the no offside from a throw rule. Someone actually set up a goal in a Premier League match last weekend by standing yards goalside of the defensive line (I think it may have been Jordan Bowen) to receive a throw down the wing before pulling the ball back into the centre.

I never realised that. Has this always been the case, or is it one of the endless recent alterations to the offside law? I'm surprised attackers don't seem to make greater use of the no offside from a throw rule. Someone actually set up a goal in a Premier League match last weekend by standing yards goalside of the defensive line (I think it may have been Jordan Bowen) to receive a throw down the wing before pulling the ball back into the centre.
I had to check, my first instinct was the same as yours. Think it’s one of those things that just doesn’t happen too often, at least not as blatantly as this example.

Arsenal are pretty sharp with throw-ins around the box, they often put a player on the byline beyond the last defender to receive it, although opponents seem to have got wiser to it.

I had to check, my first instinct was the same as yours. Think it’s one of those things that just doesn’t happen too often, at least not as blatantly as this example.

Arsenal are pretty sharp with throw-ins around the box, they often put a player on the byline beyond the last defender to receive it, although opponents seem to have got wiser to it.
Yes, it was pretty slack for our defenders not to notice the centre forward lurking behind them. I think he was probably so far behind he just wasn't within anyone's peripheral vision. He actually ran back almost level with them while the ball was in flight before beginning his run again, and it was poor judgment for both centre backs to push up too far to deal with a ball played beyond them.

I'd always taken it for granted it's impossible to be offside from a corner, although if you're standing on the goalline and the ball is kicked from the edge of the quadrant 1 yard from the flag you could technically be goalside of the ball and defenders. It's common sense to me to regard the entire corner quadrant as level with the goalline.

Blame should also be attached to the keeper. From that position you should be able to see the defence in front of you and alert them to any opposition player in their vicinity. Goal kicks and throw-ins I always aim to make my defence aware that the opposition can’t be offside. Corner kicks are another matter. Conceded a goal from an offside position last season away to Ashmount Leigh after a corner though it could be argued that the corner phase was over as a defender had made a clearance, albeit a weak one.

Back
Top Bottom